X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VintageMike
    Permanent Member
    • Dec 16, 2004

Mego Meet 2019 Recap & Reflections

So I was going to wait until tomorrow, but even though I will be off work, it will be a "normal" day where I may get involved with things and didn't want to lose track of any thoughts. Going to try and hit on a few things so this doesn't go too long. I will say while I looked forward to this as always the shine was off a little at the start simply because it's Father's Days weekend and my father just passed away a couple of weeks ago. So, it's still fresh. On that note being around friends and Mego fun eventually brought me around. Want to extend special thanks to all those who came up to my offer condolences and someone to talk to about it.

Returning faces: It was great to see Dave McCormick, Jim Hampton, Paul Clare, Ed Nagy, Bryan Bossart, Chris Johnson back at the Meet and all at the same time. This was my 12th Mego Meet and these folks played a big part along making my early meets enjoyable.

Old friends: In addition to returning faces, it's always great to see and talk to old friends like the Ligottis, Brian Heiler, Chad Gordy, Derek R, Scott A. Scott Pierce, John Farley, Ed "Sam Noir", Rob Turner, Austin Hough, Chuck Gregory, and Brue Hoyt. Anyone I missed please accept my apologies as I am very tired now.

Steve Moore: The guy that makes this happen every year and gives us all something to look forward to. The work Steve does cannot be overstated or appreciated enough.

The Mego Corp team: Great to hear everything Mego has planned, be so open to questions and suggestions and gives great previews of things to come

The whole crew: Anyone I somehow missed. The Meet is a "bigger than the sum of its parts" deal. Which means even if I only talked to/connected with someone for a few minutes it made things that much better, in addition to everything I already mentioned.

While I did not have any "special" pick up at the Meet and I scored something special on eBay that I was able to share with everyone. Which leads me to a couple of things. The first year I went to this show I marveled at some of the collections and figured I could only dream of a collection like that. 12 years later largely thanks to this community I have one of those collections. Having obtained most of my "good" pieces through other notable collectors makes it that much more special. That I'm not just building a collection but carrying a torch.Something I don't have with anything else I collect.

I'll close with this (so much for not going long). I, unfortunately, spent Saturday with on/off stomach issues. While some rest and some over the counter medication helped, a huge part of why I was still able to participate Saturday was just how much this event means to me and spending time with everyone. Thanks to all who made this another great year and see you in 2020!
    Last edited by VintageMike; Jun 16, '19, 8:45 PM.
  • boss
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 18, 2003

It was great to see you too. I wish I had more of a chance to visit with you.
    Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• justzeg18
      Career Member
      • May 5, 2003

I was stoked you were able to make it, and it was great chatting w/ you for a bit.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
        Moderation Engineer
        • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by boss
        It was great to see you too. I wish I had more of a chance to visit with you.
        What he said Mike. It just goes by too fast once we get started. Maybe Mego Meet 20 can be that week long event that we all dream about. I'm sorry to hear you weren't feeling well.

Steve

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Myself and my family had a great time! I still have trouble putting names and faces and avatars together. Maybe we could do a Mego Meet Roll Call or something at some point? I don't know. I didn't realize some of the folks in this thread were there, even though I may have talked to them. But that probably has more to do with my scrambled noggin than anything else.

Great job to Steve, Brian, Robyn and whomever else worked to get this baby together. You guys did a fantastic job. And such a great and friendly atmosphere! Fantastic weekend.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

^Chris, I honestly didn't know you were there or I would have intro'd myself.

Museum Roll Call in Onomatopoeia would be funny.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

^I didn't know you were there either. I rewrote my name on my sticker in blue sharpie, but it's still kind of hard to read.

I would also suggest EVERYONE have name tags, even the dealers, since we're all fans/collectors, even if we have tables, etc.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Flynne
                Permanent Member
                • Jan 22, 2003

It was good to see you again, sir. The Meet is here and gone too quickly for us all to see as much as we would like of each other.
                An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                  Permanent Member
                  • Mar 7, 2011

Awesome Sentiments Mike!!!

Comment

• Brue
                    User without title
                    • Sep 29, 2005

Always great to see you mike!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

I enjoyed seeing you again, sorry you weren't feeling well. You've been through a lot lately. Wish we had chatted more.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

Mike, my deepest condolences for your loss but glad that you were able to get away to Mego Meet and enjoy your time amongst friends. Sorry to hear that you were not feeling well on Saturday, but it sounds like you scored something great on eBay. Happy to see you, and chat with you.
                        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• scott metzger
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 9, 2007

Sorry you weren't feeling well, Mike. I hope being among friends helped there at least a little bit.

I really enjoyed the Meet once again. Only my second, but I'm more convinced than ever to make it a yearly pilgrimage. There is a really unique feel to the event; from the moment I got there on Thursday, I felt at home. There's welcoming atmosphere I've rarely found elsewhere. I've "spoken" to many of the folks here on the boards and social media, but this is only the second time many have met me in person. Folks treated me like family from the start. It was great hanging out and talking with folks face to face, seeing what they were doing, hanging out in the Mego suite, heading out and invading the local restaurants. The panels were great, the Customego dinner was fantastic and touching. And on top of it all, I got to meet, shake hands with, thank, and have pic taken with the man himself, Marty Abrams. If I hadn't bought a single thing, it would have been more than worth the trip. We've got something really special here, and I hope it goes on for a long, long time to come.

Loaded some pictures onto Flickr:
                          Explore Scott Metzger’s 1,880 photos on Flickr!
                          Last edited by scott metzger; Jun 18, '19, 1:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎