Thread: The 3 Doomed Star Trek Action Figure Lines of the 1980s

The 3 Doomed Star Trek Action Figure Lines of the 1980s

Professor Beastly is back with the 3 doomed Star Trek Action Figure lines of the 1980s. Mego, Ertl, and Galoob all released Star Trek toys at the wrong time. https://youtu.be/3CCk-wYsb_4

Images
    There would be nothing wrong with these lines if Playmates had not screwed up the scale.

CCC.

Playmates is still the most expansive, even if they're not the best looking.

Still collectible and affordable, and most importantly FUN.
    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Fever J, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman)

Images
    I always look at the Playmates line as being from Star Trek The Animated Series. I find them far more attractive than the Funko line of a few years ago which had some of the worst head sculpt/head scale issues I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Lister View Post
    Playmates is still the most expansive, even if they're not the best looking.

Still collectible and affordable, and most importantly FUN.

I agree on the funko line. I liked the galoob line very much. And their shuttlecraft. Saw their prototype of a Romulan figure and wish that would have been made.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmiic View Post
    I always look at the Playmates line as being from Star Trek The Animated Series. I find them far more attractive than the Funko line of a few years ago which had some of the worst head sculpt/head scale issues I've ever seen.
    I always thought the Playmates line looked like cartoon versions of the characters.

me too but I thought that made them appealing. I was just worried at the time when I found out playmates was doing Star Trek I feared they might look like the dick tracy figures they previously did.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    I always thought the Playmates line looked like cartoon versions of the characters.
    Yeah, that made them more palatable to me. Wish the earlier lines had been as posable as they eventually became when they did the Voyager line. Was disappointed they didn't get Enterprise when that show came out. Their Seaquest DSV line sports the only know Roy Scheider action figure I think, Lol! Make him a guest star on Next Gen, Lol!

I think the Playmates figures are great. I don't find the headsculpts any more cartoony than the vintage Mego ones.
    They actually have a lot of really solid likenesses in there. They're just realistic enough, but still look like toys.

These are some great looking figures.

Last edited by enyawd72; May 24, '20 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by enyawd72 View Post
    I think the Playmates figures are great. I don't find the headsculpts any more cartoony than the vintage Mego ones.
    They actually have a lot of really solid likenesses in there. They're just realistic enough, but still look like toys.

These are some great looking figures.

Part of the fun for me was that they looked more like toys than collectibles.