Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Booster
    • Apr 29, 2018

The 3 Doomed Star Trek Action Figure Lines of the 1980s

Professor Beastly is back with the 3 doomed Star Trek Action Figure lines of the 1980s. Mego, Ertl, and Galoob all released Star Trek toys at the wrong time. https://youtu.be/3CCk-wYsb_4
  • LordMudd
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 22, 2011

There would be nothing wrong with these lines if Playmates had not screwed up the scale.

CCC.

Comment

• B-Lister
      Eccentric Weirdo
      • Mar 19, 2010

Playmates is still the most expansive, even if they're not the best looking.

Still collectible and affordable, and most importantly FUN.
      Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• johnmiic
        Adrift
        • Sep 6, 2002

I always look at the Playmates line as being from Star Trek The Animated Series. I find them far more attractive than the Funko line of a few years ago which had some of the worst head sculpt/head scale issues I've ever seen.

Originally posted by B-Lister
        Playmates is still the most expansive, even if they're not the best looking.

Still collectible and affordable, and most importantly FUN.

Comment

• powersthatbe
          Persistent Member
          • Sep 27, 2010

I agree on the funko line. I liked the galoob line very much. And their shuttlecraft. Saw their prototype of a Romulan figure and wish that would have been made.

Comment

• phil
            Persistent Member
            • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by johnmiic
            I always look at the Playmates line as being from Star Trek The Animated Series. I find them far more attractive than the Funko line of a few years ago which had some of the worst head sculpt/head scale issues I've ever seen.
            I always thought the Playmates line looked like cartoon versions of the characters.

Comment

• powersthatbe
              Persistent Member
              • Sep 27, 2010

me too but I thought that made them appealing. I was just worried at the time when I found out playmates was doing Star Trek I feared they might look like the dick tracy figures they previously did.

Comment

• johnmiic
                Adrift
                • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by phil
                I always thought the Playmates line looked like cartoon versions of the characters.
                Yeah, that made them more palatable to me. Wish the earlier lines had been as posable as they eventually became when they did the Voyager line. Was disappointed they didn't get Enterprise when that show came out. Their Seaquest DSV line sports the only know Roy Scheider action figure I think, Lol! Make him a guest star on Next Gen, Lol!

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

I think the Playmates figures are great. I don't find the headsculpts any more cartoony than the vintage Mego ones.
                  They actually have a lot of really solid likenesses in there. They're just realistic enough, but still look like toys.

These are some great looking figures.

Last edited by enyawd72; May 24, '20, 12:37 AM.

Comment

• phil
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by enyawd72
                    I think the Playmates figures are great. I don't find the headsculpts any more cartoony than the vintage Mego ones.
                    They actually have a lot of really solid likenesses in there. They're just realistic enough, but still look like toys.

These are some great looking figures.

Part of the fun for me was that they looked more like toys than collectibles.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎