Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

Mego Meet 2019 Exclusive: Mego Corp to Release 8" DC Heroes to Select Stores

From the Mego Museum Twitter Account: "Mego Corp will be releasing 8 inch DC heroes to select stores coming soon."

No pictures were allowed and the price point will be $14.99.

WOW! I can't wait to see who they plan to release, are they going vintage Mego or with new takes, are the select stores online or brink&mortar (or both?).

And just to rub it in, from the MM Twitter account, "..they look fantastic."
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

So FTC and Mego are both making DC guys?! Sweet!
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

I thought I heard an explosion over Tampa way, FTC's heads blew up with this news. Now they have direct competition in the DC category.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

or they maybe lost the license. either way good news for us that Mego is back in the game with DC heroes. Hopefully they can get Marvel too

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
          or they maybe lost the license. either way good news for us that Mego is back in the game with DC heroes. Hopefully they can get Marvel too
          I suspect its a fragmenting of the license, Mego gets retail or something like that. Still if the casual buyer can get a DC figure at half the price where will they buy?
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• RonnyG
            Career Member
            • Apr 23, 2014

This is great news!

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

WOW! Mind blowing news! HAPPY DANCE!!
              sigpic

Comment

• tllgn
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 6, 2010

Holy moly !!!!

Comment

• TRDouble
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jul 10, 2012

I don't think the casual buyer is buying Mego style figures from FTC, if they are buying them at all. But FTC has to be looking at this development very closely.

Warner/DC is quick to fragment their licenses, unlike Disney with Marvel, and as seen with the what is being done with the DC license in 2020. The "coming soon" part is interesting, because I wouldn't expect to see anything before 2020, but one thing that Warner has done is allow the DC license to be used for product that Mattel isn't making, or has no desire to make.

I just hope they are easy to get. Because the initial batch, which there may not be many of these since they are store exclusives, are going to fly off the shelves.

I wonder how many FTC figures I might swap out with Mego figures?

If they are repros, probably a few where the head is properly sized (Batman, Robin has a longer head) and doesn't have shiny hair (see: Superman).

If they are new, modern sculpts, I think FTC has done a good job on clothing and head sculpts overall, but some of the big guns are ripe for replacement -- Batman (although, Super Friends Batman fits in ANY line, it's so well done), Superman and Wonder Woman have been bad to okay. I am very happy with The Flash and Green Lantern.

This is going to be good!

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jun 22, 2011

As long as the figures are classic designs of the characters I'm very excited to read this news !!!

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                      Museum Paramedic
                      • Aug 31, 2005

What a win for Mego!!! Should be good! The DC superheroes have been the new Mego’s best, so far...and must have the most broad appeal, by far.

Maybe Mego will get back into the 3 3/4” area, a little bit. I think those in superhero (especially), POTA and Trek, etc could be successful.

- Ian
                      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by TRDouble
                        I don't think the casual buyer is buying Mego style figures from FTC, if they are buying them at all. But FTC has to be looking at this development very closely.

Warner/DC is quick to fragment their licenses, unlike Disney with Marvel, and as seen with the what is being done with the DC license in 2020. The "coming soon" part is interesting, because I wouldn't expect to see anything before 2020, but one thing that Warner has done is allow the DC license to be used for product that Mattel isn't making, or has no desire to make.

I just hope they are easy to get. Because the initial batch, which there may not be many of these since they are store exclusives, are going to fly off the shelves.

I wonder how many FTC figures I might swap out with Mego figures?

If they are repros, probably a few where the head is properly sized (Batman, Robin has a longer head) and doesn't have shiny hair (see: Superman).

If they are new, modern sculpts, I think FTC has done a good job on clothing and head sculpts overall, but some of the big guns are ripe for replacement -- Batman (although, Super Friends Batman fits in ANY line, it's so well done), Superman and Wonder Woman have been bad to okay. I am very happy with The Flash and Green Lantern.

This is going to be good!
                        It very possibly be the 14 inch figures scaled down, I personally have no use for more repros of the 70s figures. I do think the casual DC Fan buyer would see the FTC stuff online and balk at the prices, then if a cheaper alternative is produced they would bite.

Comment

• The Bat
                          Batman Fanatic
                          • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                          I personally have no use for more repros of the 70s figures.

Agreed, it's been done. We need some modern sculpts...especially BATMAN!!
                          sigpic

Comment

• VulcanFanatic
                            Banned
                            • Jan 24, 2009

I have no inside knowledge about new 8" figures but I doubt they will be like the classic figures. I would love them to be like the classic figures but I imagine the way they ended up with a 8" DC license was to make something different from what FTC is currently making. I hope I am wrong. I really want the classic figures.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                              galactic yo-yo
                              • Apr 6, 2006

According to the video Count Stankus has on YouTube,the Wonder Woman looks like the Mattel version. But since they weren't allowed to have pictures,we'll just have to wait until they release them to know for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎