X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

The Banana Splits Movie

If there were a movie that this group would have to watch it should be The Banana Splits Movie

Now, Warner Bros Home Entertainment is preparing to prove, once and for all, that all my concerns were warranted:
    “The Banana Splits” will offer a new take on the classic characters, which were first introduced to audiences in 1968 with “The Banana Splits Adventure Hour” variety program. In the upcoming horror thriller, a boy named Harley and his family (brother Austin, mother Beth and father Mitch) attend a taping of “The Banana Splits” TV show, which is supposed to be a fun-filled birthday for young Harley and business as usual for Rebecca, the producer of the series. But things take an unexpected turn — and the body count quickly rises. Can Harley, his mom and their new pals safely escape?
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

So, they turned the Banana Splits into an R rated Five Nights at Freddy's. Made by Scify and going straight to video. Wow, there's a shock. I guess they are hoping for outrage to generate publicity and hype. It's not clever enough to deserve it. The whole thing is just so damn cynical and lazy.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Looks stupid

Have no interest in it whatsoever

I watch SyFy movies as often as I watch QVC on Beanie Baby night

Comment

• monitor_ep
        Talkative Member
        • May 11, 2013

Comic Book Resources has an early review of the Banana Splits Movie:

The nearly forgotten children's franchise gets a horrific reimagining in The Banana Splits Movie, which provides some surprisingly satisfying closure.

I normally do not watch reboots or slasher movies, but this intrigues me

The Banana Split movie.jpg
        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

The script was quite literally for a 5 Nights at Freddy's movie. They lost the rights and quickly threw a veneer of Banana Splits over it. Nothing clever or subversive about it. It's just flat out laziness.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• monitor_ep
            Talkative Member
            • May 11, 2013

Lets remember the show only had one season

While this show was the start pf the live action/cartoon shows that were to show up and introduced us the H.R. Pufnstuf you really need to watch this show with a bowl for sugary-cereal to like this show, I do not mean that it was bad but it does help to to be on the sugar high to watch this crazy show.

I was one of those kids who would sit in front of the tv to watch this on Saturday morning with a bowl of cereal on my metal tv tray, so yeah for me I cannot wait for this movie to get dropped.
            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Banana Splits and PufnStuf was my older sisters childhood. So, my biggest issues with the movie is not that it's dumping on a childhood favorite of mine. The whole thing is so crass, uninspired and just plain lazy.

Comment

• Wee67
                Museum Correspondent
                • Apr 2, 2002

After this was brought up last time (http://megomuseum.com/community/show...=banana+splits ), it made me think about cover songs. I generally only like cover songs when the covering bands gives the song their own spin. Why re-do a song if you're just going to play it just like the original. You already have the (assumingly great) original.

I guess you could say the same for movie re-boots. So maybe this will be interesting, even worth doing. I have to admit, I did find the Splits, HR and Lidsville sometimes disturbing. I do agree, it feels like a Five Nights at Freddie's rip.

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

Terrible use of the Banana Splits!!

Comment

• ODBJBG
                    Permanent Member
                    • May 15, 2009

I think the idea for the movie is fine and clearly they couldn't get 5NAF license, but at the same time, I kinda wish they'd ditched the Chuck E. Cheese robot idea and just made them regular slashers. The show being canceled really shouldn't make robots "mad", but it might make the people who played them go off the deep end. Missed opportunity.

I still plan on checking it out though when I get a chance.

Comment

• megomania
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jan 2, 2010

Aren't the *potential* Five Nights and Banana Splits movies two distinctly separate entities? The guy who created Fuve Nights says he's still planning to redevelop the movie script from what I read.

-Chris

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

WB will let anyone do anything to their IPs. They have no standards anymore.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• ODBJBG
                          Permanent Member
                          • May 15, 2009

Interestingly, the write up for this on a couple of the on-demand sites, have this movie being more akin to my pitch. Only one of the BS is a killer and he's deranged because the show is canceled. Shame that the actual movie didn't follow that.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

so apparently this was on Syfy last night, did anyone watch it?

Comment

• Falstaff13
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 28, 2008

I did. I'm not a huge horror fan (at least this type of horror), but it seemed to work fairly well. I was actually hoping for more of a connection to the original show. This could easily have been any kid's show-gone-deranged, so I guess the fact they licensed Banana Splits is somewhat interesting in itself.
                              Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                              Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎