X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

How Do You Sleep ?

I can't sleep without some sort of white noise.

I use a regular box fan and it works like a charm.

When I watch movies and see people sleeping in perfect quietness I think, doesn't every little noise (including your wife's snoring or farts or even your own breathing sound) bug you ?

How about you ?
  • MysteryWho
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 16, 2008

Badly or not at all. I have sleep apnea which causes all sorts of difficulties. I am also very sensitive to sound, so I use a combination of ear plugs and white noise (a fan). Basically, when I'm ready for bed I look like Tommy on the cover of the Motion Picture Soundtrack. And I'm usually still tired all day.

Comment

• B-Lister
      Eccentric Weirdo
      • Mar 19, 2010

I sleep on my right side, right arm under a pillow, my left arm across my back. I prefer to be cool, so in the summer I have a fan on. And I sleep naked. You asked.
      Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• megomania
        Persistent Member
        • Jan 2, 2010

I usually have to go to bed listening to something in my headphones...been doing it for 20+ years. Otherwise I find it hard to go to sleep.

-Chris

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Laying on my left side is my favorite sleeping position. Leaving the ceiling fan on during hot days. Little portable heater during cold nights.
          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by MysteryWho
            Badly or not at all. I have sleep apnea which causes all sorts of difficulties. I am also very sensitive to sound, so I use a combination of ear plugs and white noise (a fan). Basically, when I'm ready for bed I look like Tommy on the cover of the Motion Picture Soundtrack. And I'm usually still tired all day.
            Do you have a CPAP machine? If not, you should get one. It’s going to vastly improve your alertness during the day, you’ll be a much happier camper...healthier too...as oxygen deprivation is not good for both brain and heart.

I used to sleep with a CPAP machine when I was heavier, but with weight loss and exercise, I no longer need nor use one. Of course, sleep apnea effects a lot of people, not just overweight people.
            sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

I sleep on my back. can't get comfortable on my sides and if I do fall asleep that way my arms goes numb because the circulation is cut off. unfortunately I also have lower back pain since I was a teenager so after a few hors of sleep I start tossing and turning. I am lucky if I get 4 hours of good sleep a night. so I am always tired

keep a ceiling fan on except in winter but other than that no white noise

Comment

• Confessional
                Maker & Whatnot
                • Aug 8, 2012

Sides only, can't find a decent pillow in the 21st Century (seriously, *** is with the lack of reliable pillow designs?!?), nocturnal bruxism, and decades of wild dreamland adventures keep things interesting.

Overall my sleep improved significantly after I had my wisdom teeth taken out… haven't found a doctor or dentist yet that can explain (they all say, "interesting" and "reaaaally?") that, but it's clearly related to the years of un-diagnosed (stupid Ohio dentists) grinding, then I moved to California where dental technology is more advanced and the connection to sleep is in the vernacular. Mouthguard = better sleepage.

Comment

• MysteryWho
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 16, 2008

I do use a CPAP but I don't think it is entirely effective in my case. Things did improve when I stopped drinking, I lost weight (I'm not a big guy, it was all beer) and the machine was able to improve my situation somewhat. However, we are still trying to find the right pressure. Also, I may have mixed Sleep Apnea, that is to say, a combination of central and obstructive. CPAP only affects the obstructive apneas. So I am likely still waking up a lot. I need another overnight study, the last one I had didn't accomplish much (it was freezing cold and I was wired up like a Christmas tree, so not much data from too little sleep). Can I get a heck yeah! from all the CPAP users on here!
                  Originally posted by Hector
                  Do you have a CPAP machine? If not, you should get one. It’s going to vastly improve your alertness during the day, you’ll be a much happier camper...healthier too...as oxygen deprivation is not good for both brain and heart.

I used to sleep with a CPAP machine when I was heavier, but with weight loss and exercise, I no longer need nor use one. Of course, sleep apnea effects a lot of people, not just overweight people.

Comment

• Makernaut
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 22, 2015

My specific recipe...Body pillow, on my left side, box fan or ceiling fan (I have both and use either) and a stand alone heater with fan-blown hot air for Winter months (I have central heat and air.....just like the noise because I was a sea going Sailor and that's how we roll). TV set on timer to a non-stimulating, but interesting/entertaining program (Nova, MASH, Taxi...there's a sweet spot), a satellite music station (New Wave, Jazz, Light Classical), an old time radio broadcast or a podcast. One of any of those. Something I can focus on until I "drop off" and prefer "no commercials" because it totally interups the flow.

All of this is preceeded by being well hydrated through the day (but being emptied bladder-ed at the right time) and then popping a Benedryl capsule and a Melatonin tab about 15 minutes before I want to drop off. And... I meditate pretty regular because otherwise, my mind is a "sack of parrots and monkeys" and I do some kind of strenous activity each day.

This recipe took me from being an Insomniac to being an 8 hour sleeper each night.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

My bedroom has to be pitch black for me to sleep. Any type of light bothers me.

Comment

• cjefferys
                        Duke of Gloat
                        • Apr 23, 2006

I'm a terribly light sleeper, if my wife ever starts snoring in the future, I will need a separate bedroom, seriously. I also need white noise, currently using a fan, I should probably try to find a good white noise machine instead. I cannot fall asleep without that, thank god there are white noise apps for my phone for when I'm travelling, because I can't exactly lug my fan with me! I can't fall asleep on my back, it has to be either my side (either one) or stomach. Light or dark makes no difference to me though.

Comment

• Wee67
                          Museum Correspondent
                          • Apr 2, 2002

Sounds like some of you are beyond this being any help, but maybe for others

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Mikey
                            Verbose Member
                            • Aug 9, 2001

Very good stuff, guys …

I've found this dude's videos are great for falling asleep to as well …

m

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by MysteryWho
                              I do use a CPAP but I don't think it is entirely effective in my case. Things did improve when I stopped drinking, I lost weight (I'm not a big guy, it was all beer) and the machine was able to improve my situation somewhat. However, we are still trying to find the right pressure. Also, I may have mixed Sleep Apnea, that is to say, a combination of central and obstructive. CPAP only affects the obstructive apneas. So I am likely still waking up a lot. I need another overnight study, the last one I had didn't accomplish much (it was freezing cold and I was wired up like a Christmas tree, so not much data from too little sleep). Can I get a heck yeah! from all the CPAP users on here!
                              Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Any type of surgery could alleviate that?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎