Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't put off looking for old friends

Blog Entries

Sad Don't put off looking for old friends

This past week I got some really terrible news.

One of my favourite people growing up was a kid named Freddy, he sat next to me in grade five. We became friends when he saw me pull out the same Crestwood book (Creature from the Black Lagoon) during reading time and handed me his Famous Monsters saying "You look like you need something new". I think of him everytime I see an issue.

The next two years were a bonding over Bruce Lee and Godzilla movies, he moved away in the 7th grade. A lot of people I knew were lucky enough to go to high school with him and have asked me over the years if I've seen him.

Last week I found my old lunchbox and it's covered in cool Samurai stickers from the Philippines that I got from Freddy.

Well, a mutual friend just let me know that he's dead.

It's the second time in my life where I stalled on contacting or reaching out to an old friend, the last time I just choked on the voice mail message, only to have this person I shared my childhood with die.

If you have a chance to look up an old friend and an interest, please do it.

Oh man, I'm really sorry to hear that. And what you say is very true, I need to do some reconnecting with a couple folks myself, we aren't getting any younger. :-(

Images
    So sad and your advise is 100% correct! We often take too many things such as old friends for granted. Life is short enough and for some much too short :(
    Sorry for your loss.

Sorry to hear this. I've been trying to track down my best friend from elementary school for a couple years with no luck. This is why EVERYONE should get on Facebook. Seriously. I'm having zero luck finding him and it kinda depresses me every time I try.

Images
    sorry to hear this Brian. it's a painful reminder how short life is and how important it is to make every minute count. Deepest sympathies

Saddened to hear that Brian. It's a sobering reminder how precious time and friendship are.

Images
    Sorry to hear that Brian. I think we tend to put old friends in a time bubble of some sorts; our lives move on, but they are in stasis out there, waiting for us to reconnect with them when we get time. The truth is, time and life marches on, and sometimes it doesn't go well. I lost a college friend and mentor in a car accident I knew nothing about. It was a year before I heard of his passing, and I was devastated.

Hang in there.

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Sorry to hear this. Life is so short and moves so fast we miss out on friends we lose track of.

Images
    I'm sorry for your loss, Brian.
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Giving this more thought throughout the day... you really shouldn't beat yourself up over it either, though. Sometimes, as your life progresses, you and your environment change so much, it can be difficult to "go back" and re-integrate old friends into your new world. I'm not suggesting you shouldn't try, but I've connected with kid friends who are now adults only to find that either I've changed so much or they've changed so much that it makes me miss the old friend more. It's hard to put into words.