Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back Issues When You Were a Kid

Images

Capshield Back Issues When You Were a Kid

How did you get any back issues when you were a kid? There were no stores at all around here that sold back issues then. My mother found a company out of one of my comics and ordered me a nice boxful. The companies name was Black Gold Comics. Not one of the larger ones you'll find advertising in comics but still I was in heaven! I remember making 2 more purchases from them. One my the things I remember most was going through their catalog and they had a Captain America #37 golden age comic for $42 and I thought they were out of their minds lol!!!!

Any stories to share?

there used to be a guy who came to our mall once or twice a year during an antique and collectible(mostly sports stuff) showing and he brought a massive back issue collection of comics. Avengers was one book me and my brother were always looking for back issues to fill spots in our run.

Images
    Blog Entries
    There was a once a year show in Peoria where I found a lot of Monster reprint comics from Marvel and stuff like Frankenstein, Deathlok etc
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Images
    1. Traded comics with school buddies and cousins.
    2. There was a used book store in town and my dad would take me and drop me off for an hour on Saturdays. In the back was a table with stacks of comics. You could trade books or magazines in and I'd bring in Reader's Digest, Redbook, Parent magazines and trade for Sgt Rock, The Witching Hour, Where Monsters Dwell, Ghost Rider, Batman Family, etc...
    3. A few times, I'd order catalogs from those places advertised in the comics and place orders with them. 8 to 10 weeks for delivery... jeesh!

Images
    Yard sales mostly.

The only way I found old issues was in the Whitman 3-packs on the spinner racks in gas stations when my family went to visit relatives.

Images
    Mostly at the big outdoor flea market in the next town over. We had a "Burly Days" festival downtown and a guy set up each year for a few years with long boxes full of comics. Fist time I ever saw dedicated boards, bags and boxes. There were no comic shops in my area, that I knew of, anyway.

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Images
    Yard sales and family friends mostly.

Images
    Yeah, yard sales and also small stores that sold second hand books and stuff, mostly. Then in about 1983 I moved to a city that had a comic book store with a dedicated back issue section and I also started attending comic marts.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_T7BhcH-_Lqw/Rph52zHLjQI/AAAAAAAAAWY/IRQJUp3saOs/s200/Hulk.jpg

Looking for one CAH Mego Comic Activator (working or non working).

Virtually nonexistant. The only thing that came close were the polybagged three packs with issues from the past year or so of comics, or if a neighbor or friend of the family had comics in their house for kids or grandkids that outgrew them and gave them to our family for me. One time a local drug store chain had a huge lot of older comics (from about 2 years previous) that I think were an "off the back of a truck" special of stuff that was delivered when they originally came out but never got unbundled and put out for sale by the vendors and were technically returned for credit but never had their covers stripped and were "lost" before they were actually returned. They were 25 cent cover price comics and were being sold 5/$1 in a big unorganized bin (much like WalMArt throws their bargain DVDs in now). I got lucky and got to pick 5 one time when we were there (they were mostly Marvel reprint titles-MArvel Triple Action, Marvel Spectacular, Marvel Adventure etc. so they told even older stories).

The first inclination I had that older comics were even available anywhere was when I was 10-11 (circa 1979-80), just before we moved to a different state, when a couple of back issue dealers set up in the open square inside the local mall on a Saturday and my cousin went and told me about it and showed me the 3 comics he bought. I didn't actually see a back issue for sale until I was in high school and discovered a comic book shop circa 1983.

It's part of why I was so fascinated and interested in things like Origins and Son of Origins and the other Fireside Books, and late the Pocket Books collections that had reprints of older comic in them (as I put it, I was a very early adapter of the ide of trade paperbacks and collected editions and liked them even better than individual comics when I was a kid).

-M