X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

Hulu no longer blu-compatible

Mine said 8-14-19 but for older players it's even sooner. I prefer Hulu over Netflix but I have to say it's a deal breaker for me since I'm not big on watching shows on mobile devices. Oh well it was nice while it lasted.
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

On the other hand, won’t you still be able to view Hulu from a SmartTV? If so, that’s not so terrible as it seems most new TV’s are such. Even last summer, we purchased an inexpensive small HD TV for our kitchen and it’s a SmartTV.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• ODBJBG
      Permanent Member
      • May 15, 2009

Yeah get a smart TV (dumped all my non-smart TVs) or get a Fire stick or Roku USB thing. They're dirt cheap.

Comment

• TheMegoGuy
        Museum Super Collector
        • Jan 26, 2014

I've got Roku express boxes on each of my TVs (they are very small and come with a remote). They cost $25 each and work very well. I watch Hulu, Netflix, HBO, etc. with them.

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

I dunno, buy an Amazon Fire stick or Roku stick for under $50.00? You can even get a refurbished one (with a warranty) for around $25. Both are cheap options that honestly work much better than a smart TV or Blu-ray player, as I find the apps on those very clunky and slow, they don't have much power. Tons of options at any rate.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by cjefferys
            I dunno, buy an Amazon Fire stick or Roku stick for under $50.00? You can even get a refurbished one (with a warranty) for around $25. Both are cheap options that honestly work much better than a smart TV or Blu-ray player, as I find the apps on those very clunky and slow, they don't have much power. Tons of options at any rate.
            I'm not very familiar with the Fire Stick, but that may be the better option and certainly less expensive. I've heard many mention it and they all really seem to like it.

I think using apps are hit and miss with Smart TV's. They work great on my Samsung TV's, but on my much less expensive Smart TV, that we use in the kitchen, the experience is cumbersome.

- Ian
            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
              I'm not very familiar with the Fire Stick, but that may be the better option and certainly less expensive. I've heard many mention it and they all really seem to like it.

I think using apps are hit and miss with Smart TV's. They work great on my Samsung TV's, but on my much less expensive Smart TV, that we use in the kitchen, the experience is cumbersome.

Oh yeah, I've been using the Amazon Fire stick for years, it's pretty good. I prefer the Roku, but I have some streaming services that don't have an app on there yet (I'm looking at you CraveTV and CBC Gem, come on already!). You're right about smart TVs being hit or miss, the one on my Sony TV is kind of glitchy. As I mentioned, most smart TVs and smart Blu-ray players aren't that "smart", they only have a limited amount of power and processing speed and poorer user interface compared to a dedicated streaming device in my experience, I only use those as a last resort.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                Persistent Member
                • Aug 27, 2007

We watch Hulu through an Amazon Fire Stick and it's worked pretty well. I just started getting the service a month ago through Amazon Prime, so watching it through that interface may be an option as well, though I haven't tried it yet.

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

I hate Hulu

They hardly ever get new/different movies

Sometimes I wanna watch a nice horror movie and the first thing listed is Krampus for the last year

Also, what's a good way to make it look like you have more movies than you do ? List War Games in Comedy, Action, Horror and Drama.

Hulu smells

Comment

• jwyblejr
                    galactic yo-yo
                    • Apr 6, 2006

^That might change now that Disney owns them 100%.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎