X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Space Wars 1977

Christmas 1977 is such a unique period of time, every kid in the country had space toy fever thanks to a certain movie. However, no physical toys existed (the cardboard promissory note was clever but come on) meaning it was a golden age for the Ideal Star Team (hastily slapped together to captilize on the movement) and pre-existing space toys like Mego's Micronauts, Mattel's Shogun Warriors and Zee Toy's Metal Man.

It all hit the fan in 1978.
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

I’m just old enough to remember all of this from the fall of ‘78 and recall being overwhelmed, especially in the toy departments, with “Space” stuff. I loved Star Wars, but I never really got into, but for a handful, of the “knockoffs.” It was everywhere and anywhere! And, when your 4 to 5 years old, it all is stacked about three times higher than you are tall.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Makernaut
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2015

This kind of play is what made up Grades 4 to 6 for me. Ended the Mego era and ushered in a tapering off of GI JOE, Johnny West, and Lone Ranger. Six Million Dollar Man might have hung on for a bit, but this was the last great toy phase for me. After the Star Wars/Micronauts/Shogun Warriors/Metal Man phase it was a smattering of Hot Wheels here and there, but largely I moved on to model kits and sports cards and away from toys.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎