Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone seen Godzilla King of the Monsters yet?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YoungOnce
    Career Member
    • Aug 29, 2007

Has anyone seen Godzilla King of the Monsters yet?

Reviews seem to be mixed, but I would trust the reviews of my fellow geeks and nerds above the “experts”.
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

Wanted to go opening weekend but real life got in the way, so I’m hoping to get there THIS weekend. The chatter I’ve heard from people around me who’ve seen it say it’s great and has some of the best monster vs. monster action ever put to film (or to digital, in this case). Yes, they’ve said that the humans in the movie are essentially cardboard cutouts, but that didn’t bother them and it doesn’t bother me. If I’m going to see a movie called GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS, I wanna see Godzilla and Co. fighting each other and destroying things. Pretty simple formula. The critics on Rotten Tomatoes who are bashing the film for any reasons OTHER than Godzilla and company simply don’t understand Godzilla movies or kaiju movies in general.
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• rche
      channeling Bob Wills
      • Mar 26, 2008

Went with the family last weekend and we all enjoyed it. Good monster battles, nice cgii versions of the kaiju, human storyline is a little weak, but is good enough to prop up the battle scenes. I think there are some reviews in the thread about the trailer for this movie.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Saw it on opening day, enjoyed it, yes the plot probably doesn't make a ton of sense but it's a gorgeous fun movie about Godzilla. I really enjoyed the ride, save for the moron behind me who felt the need to EXPLAIN EVERY SCENE TO HIS GIRLFRIEND. I eventually just turned right around and faced him.

What was fun though was seeing all the folks with Godzilla t shirts in the audience.

See it in Imax/.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

That moron somehow made his way to Boston to sit next to me during my showing last weekend. Despite him, I really enjoyed the movie. I'll echo what everyone is saying- great monsters, great monster fights, shallow human plot. At least the human plot tried, however loosely, to continue the environmental message of the original film. Bottom line- I'm looking forward to King Kong vs Godzilla.
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

I don't get the complaints about the shallow human plot, like there were ever deep moving On Golden Pond type human dramas in GODZILLA movies.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• palitoy
              • Jun 16, 2001

Those complaints are not coming from fans, we all accept it, it's not why we're there.

Comment

• Random Axe
                The Voice of Reason
                • Apr 16, 2008

This kind of film only requires the human actors to run and scream, and I'd be totally fine with that. I'll be seeing this next week and all I care about is monster destruction with combat and figuring out why the Stranger Things girl has a connection with Zilla and Mothra. I fully expect major cities to be leveled and landmarks destroyed since no kaiju or monsters or aliens for that matter ever do battle in Montana.
                I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by palitoy
                  Those complaints are not coming from fans, we all accept it, it's not why we're there.
                  You'd think the critics had never seen a Godzilla movie before this one.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Random Axe
                    The Voice of Reason
                    • Apr 16, 2008

They set the acting bar pretty high with Godzilla vs Megalon, so I don't think even Ken Watanabe can salvage this new one...
                    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Random Axe
                      They set the acting bar pretty high with Godzilla vs Megalon, so I don't think even Ken Watanabe can salvage this new one...
                      i was so disappointed that the child in the new one wasn't dubbed over by a middle-aged woman.

Comment

• YoungOnce
                        Career Member
                        • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by Random Axe
                        Funny you should pick that particular movie. That was my first Godzilla movie and because of that, still my favorite!

Mom and dad took us to the Richmond Drive-In in Richmond, KY to watch Godzilla on the big screen and eat drive-in hot dogs... pure magic.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                          Permanent Member
                          • May 15, 2009

It’s 5 billion times better than the 2014 one. Has more monster on monster action than most kaiju movies and is arguably way better than an American Godzilla movie should be. It also has all the classic musical scores and themes thank goodness which was desperately missed in the previous outing. GO SEE IT! A few times even.

Also the human plot isn’t half bad. It’s not gonna win Oscars but it’s easily as deep as any Marvel movie or summer blockbuster.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                            HULK SMASH!
                            • Apr 3, 2010

Definitely loved hearing the iconic Ifukube theme in the movie.

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by palitoy
                              i was so disappointed that the child in the new one wasn't dubbed over by a middle-aged woman.
                              and wearing disturbingly short shorts.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎