Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Chekov the real villian of ST2 The Wrath of Khan ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Was Chekov the real villian of ST2 The Wrath of Khan ?

Being a huge classic Star Trek fan i'm ashamed to admit I haven't watched Wrath of Khan for years … Like maybe 20-ish

Watching it as we speak …

I can't believe how much of a d_ckhead Chekov is to Khan.

Chekov, (who was not even in the original episode) is clearly provoking Khan for some unknown reason.

Instead of being apologetic for Kirk (Starfleet), Chekov seems hell bent on p'ssing off Khan calling him a criminal etc.

Would telling Khan, "STARFLEET DIDN'T FORSEE OR KNOW THE CETE-ALPHA-5 CRISIS HAPPENED UNTIL NOW, WE ARE HERE TO BEAM YOU ALL TO SAFETY" might have calmed Khan -- at least for the moment.

Chekov seems to be the guy at work (everyone has one) that loves to see people fight …

I seriously think if Chekov had half-a-brain Wrath of Khan never would have happened ...
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Hmmmm.

Comment

• phil
      Persistent Member
      • May 11, 2007

Chekov is used to provide an info dump to explain who Khan is but he isn't very tactful about it given the circumstances.

The question I have always had about the movie is how did the Reliant not notice a missing planet in the system?

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

they knew one planet was missing, they were just wrong about which planet had blown up

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Good point. Chekov was always the hothead of the group. Well, Scotty was a hothead too, but had enough years under his belt to keep it in check. But Chekov often ran his mouth and got himself in trouble. See "Specter of the Gun" for instance.

But even if Chekov WAS to blame, it makes the story richer, because Chekov was unflappably loyal to Kirk, despite his solution to "Space Seed" being honestly a bit dubious. Just like all of Khan's followers were loyal to him, even though by this point he was bonkers mad and twisted on revenge.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• phil
            Persistent Member
            • May 11, 2007

I know it's nitpicking but a planet blows up, shifts the orbit of another and Starfleet doesn't notice? Kirk couldn't have covered up the incident with Khan and how he resolved the situation. Kirk may not have checked up on Khan and his people but Starfleet knew they were there.

As I said it's nitpicking and I have always loved the Wrath of Khan. The "missing planet" plot point never interfered with that. One of the best times I ever had at the movies was opening night June 4, 1982. It is still one of my all time top ten favorite movies. :D

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              Good point. Chekov was always the hothead of the group. Well, Scotty was a hothead too, but had enough years under his belt to keep it in check. But Chekov often ran his mouth and got himself in trouble. See "Specter of the Gun" for instance.

But even if Chekov WAS to blame, it makes the story richer, because Chekov was unflappably loyal to Kirk, despite his solution to "Space Seed" being honestly a bit dubious. Just like all of Khan's followers were loyal to him, even though by this point he was bonkers mad and twisted on revenge.

Chris
              Exactly what I was thinking. Chekov is completely in character to have an emotional response. It's a wonder he wasn't Spock's punching bag for that reason. But yeah, the writing needed a good way for Khan to get to Kirk, and Chekov made sense, despite his absence from Space Seed. Chekov being injured and vulnerable to something extremely emotionally and physically painful is pretty consistent too.

Even if he remained calm and made a proper and humane Starfleet offer to relocate them, I don't think Khan would've gone quietly.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Another thing that was very stupid on Chekov's part --(I understand Chekov needed to be stupid to get the movie underway but …)

The Captain and Chekov are browsing around the cargo hold --- Chekov see's the Botany Bay logo and get's the worried face.

First thing, call the Reliant for an emergency instant beam out.

Don't tell the Captain, just do it and explain later.

Instead Chekov screws around with his worried faces, tells the Captain WE'VE GOT TO GET OUT OF HERE !!! and they go OUTSIDE killing a good amount of time.

I might have believed this action if they needed Transporter boosters and the boosters were outside where they beamed down, but nothing of boosters was said or shown.

Like the old saying goes, this was a Laurel and Hardy operation from the start.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^This is why there was a Captain Spock, Captain Scott, and Captain Sulu...but no Captain Chekov. ;-)

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

I actually think you've convinced me on Chekov! Maybe the Russians invented plot contrivances!

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

I've long thought Chekov was the true villain of Star Trek.
                      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

^His early wig certainly was.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Werewolf
                          I've long thought Chekov was the true villain of Star Trek.
                          For real? Can't tell if serious.

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                            ^His early wig certainly was.
                            That was no wig. It was a dead Tribble.

Originally posted by Hedji
                            For real? Can't tell if serious.
                            Any man who wears a dead Tribble on his head and hangs out with creepy space hippies is pure evil in my book.
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• TrekStar
                              Trek or Treat
                              • Jan 20, 2011

For me personally, I thought Chekov was somewhat annoying during the original series run, plus it's kind of interesting that
                              his character was absent in the animated series when everyone else was there.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎