X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Article about Marty and Mego onSyFyWire including interview with Marty

Saw this on SYFYWire when I got home form work...

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/marty-...-so-whats-next

The interviewer is a fan of the Micronauts, so starts off the interview with that.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

neat little interview. thanks for posting

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

Thanks for posting!

We've always assumed Mego would've released Transformers in America if they had stayed around. It looks like Marty confirmed that. I wonder if Mego would've launched them under the Micronauts banner-

"We said, "Let’s put hinges on the Micronauts," and when that became new, they became Transformers by the end of 1981. Micronauts were the prequel to Transformers. And when we were going to relaunch Micronauts with the Transformers connection, we just didn’t have enough staying power in the industry. Our banks pulled our bag lines and we went into bankruptcy. And that’s when Hasbro took it over and built Transformers."

What is this picture from? Marty looks like he's holding Emcee figures rather than new Megos.

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

The Transformers thing always irritates me just a smidge. No Hasbro means no Optimus Prime, Megatron, Bumblebee, etc. No Hasbro equals no Transformers. Other than that it was quite good and I really liked the picture of him with Roger Moore.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I don't think the article implies anything but the fact that Mego would have gotten first dibs and that is quite accurate.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• powersthatbe
            Persistent Member
            • Sep 27, 2010

I like because Hasbro bought Micronauts from him he was able to finance The New Mego.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
              I don't think the article implies anything but the fact that Mego would have gotten first dibs and that is quite accurate.
              I agree with that.

I suppose my irritation more comes from people that will take that comment out of context and saying this somehow proves Mego would have made Transformers.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• ODBJBG
                Permanent Member
                • May 15, 2009

Great article. It's interesting here that he mentioned being swallowed up at larger conventions. I mentioned that SDCC didn't do them a lot of favors last year, even as part of a sort of big push, because SDCC has so much new toy product being announced. Just found that interesting because it almost foreshadows what happened. I hope they announce things at smaller cons and spread it out a bit.

Comment

• TrekStar
                  Trek or Treat
                  • Jan 20, 2011

I love the background pic of RC Batman, my very first Mego figure I was 6 years old, I almost want to cry, just because I wish I still had the darn thing and the pink window box.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎