X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spawn67
    Career Member
    • Aug 14, 2009

Any Conan the Barbarian fans?

Ive been a Conan collector for 35 years or so. I know Marvel has rebooted the series but Im not to into it as Im more into the classic comic art as well as Savage Sword. Let's discuss Conan!
  • Marvelmania
    A Ray of Sunshine
    • Jun 17, 2001

Yep, I really love Conan and Kazer both. I always liked the magazines more than the comics but I collected both

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

Loved Marvel's early Conan output. Particularly John Buscema's lengthy tenure as artist.
      Both the colour book and Savage Sword were must-buy mags for me for many years.

Dark Horse also produced some memorable issues when they had the license, and so far Marvel's new run has been pretty interesting, too.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

I am a huge fan of all things Robert E. Howard. The Marvel Conan comics are good, but feel more like the de Camp Carter pastiches and edited versions of Howard's stuff than pure Howard (at their best) and generic fantasy stories (at their worst). The best Conan on the comic page in terms of capturing the feel (and look) of Howard was the Busiek/Nord issues of Conan from Dark Horse.

I have full runs of Conan the Barbarian, Savage Sword of Conan, most of the misc. 90s Marvel Conan series (Conan the Savage, Conan, Conan the Adventurer, plus the plethora of 3 issue minis by various creative teams Marvel did in the 90s), and most of the earlier Dark Horse stuff. I have been picking up the new MArvle stuff too (got print subscriptions from Marvel for CTB & SSOC-they were 40% off cover through the Marvel website when the series were announced, plus various other and sundry REH comics from several publishers (some of the best REH comics came form a small company called Cross Plains Comics in the 90s after Marvel lost the license before Dark Horse picked it up). I am still missing a few of the Marvel Conan OGNs though.

Still my favorite Howard story is The Shadow Kingdom, a Kull story, and my favorite REH character is Solomon Kane (though Conan is a close second). I am also a big fan of Howard's horror stuff, particularly the Mythos stuff he did as a result of his correspondence with Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith.

I've been lucky enough to track done 1 of the Howard Conan' s stories first appearance in a pulp (unfortunately it is one of the posthumous ones-God in the Bowl which appeared in the 1950s and not one of the Weird Tales stories), and am always looking for issues of Amra and the Howard Collector 'zines. I also have a healthy collection of Conan con sketches form various creators I have met over the years.

There's also a brand new official Conan website that just launched a week or so ago owned by the owner of Conan properies that could be of interest to Conan fans https://conan.com/?fbclid=IwAR2qt3LI...Fm9FbHLyeue_t8

and they have a newsletter you can sign up for. I haven't seen anything earth-shatteringly interesting on the site yet, but it's still new so I will give it time to see what becomes of it.

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• The Bat
          Batman Fanatic
          • Jul 14, 2002

Been picking up the new Savage Sword of Conan and I'm really digging it. Ron Garney's art work is perfectly suited for Conan I think.
          sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

Yeah, the original, unaltered REH texts are definitely essential reading. (Blissfully free of any De Camp "amendments".)
            Solomon Kane, Bran Mak Morn and Conan are my favourite REH characters.
            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• MRP
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
              Yeah, the original, unaltered REH texts are definitely essential reading. (Blissfully free of any De Camp "amendments".)
              Solomon Kane, Bran Mak Morn and Conan are my favourite REH characters.
              Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the de Camp/Carter Conan era and material, it's what introduced me to the character, so I have a fondness for it via nostalgia, but the original Howard is what appeals to me most and has since I was first able to get a hold of it (via the UK Wandering Star editions a few years before Del Rey put out the Howard originals in the US market).

-M
              "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Fuzzysnail
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 18, 2007

CONAN was my very first comic book. The kid sharing the desk with me in third grade, was trying to hide it from the teacher and put it in my desk. He forgot it and I took it home that day and read it that night. When I returned it before school the next day, I wanted the next one and wanted to know where I could find more.
                I really like the King Conan story, that turned into Conan the King and followed his son Conn. that ended very unsatisfactory.

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

I started reading the Robert E. Howard books when I was in fifth grade and blew through them pretty quickly, I loved them. As for the comics, they were great but I preferred the Savage Sword mag over the color comics. The stories and art were a bit more grown up and closer in spirit to the books. I used to have a huge run of the mags but stupidly sold them off. I have some of Dark Horse's "phone book" reprints, but unfortunately they are printed in a smaller format than the original mags.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎