X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

Leon Redbone has died at age 69.

Leon Redbone was born on August 26, 1949 and died on May 30, 2019. He was 69 years old.

Here is the official, albeit whimsical statement that was released by his family (Leon is thought to have written it in advance):

"It is with heavy hearts we announce that early this morning, May 30th, 2019, Leon Redbone crossed the delta for that beautiful shore at the age of 127,” it read. “He departed our world with his guitar, his trusty companion Rover, and a simple tip of his hat. He’s interested to see what Blind Blake, Emmett, and Jelly Roll have been up to in his absence, and has plans for a rousing sing along number with Sári Barabás. An eternity of pouring through texts in the Library of Ashurbanipal will be a welcome repose, perhaps followed by a shot or two of whiskey with Lee Morse, and some long overdue discussions with his favorite Uncle, Suppiluliuma I of the Hittites. To his fans, friends, and loving family who have already been missing him so in this realm he says, ‘Oh behave yourselves. Thank you…. and good evening everybody.'”

Article from VARIETY on his life and passing:

Singer-songwriter Leon Redbone, who specialized in old-school vaudeville and Tin Pan Alley-style music, died Thursday. He was 69.

Please Dont' Talk About Me When I'm Gone

- Ian
    Attached Files
    Last edited by EmergencyIan; May 31, '19, 7:58 AM.
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

I didn't really come across Redbone's music until the 80's. There was a small pathway running between a cinder block wall and the small backyard behind our rowhome on 44th St in West Philly. The house had long ago been split into apartments, my bedroom complete with an old balcony being at the rear of the second floor. I would crack the windows in the rear of the first floor and put Leon Redbone on the stereo down there. Heading back up to the balcony, I'd sit and read, enjoying 'Champagne Charlie' echoing off the walls. It was almost like I was hearing it from a nearby club.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
      Museum Paramedic
      • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Wee67
      I didn't really come across Redbone's music until the 80's. There was a small pathway running between a cinder block wall and the small backyard behind our rowhome on 44th St in West Philly. The house had long ago been split into apartments, my bedroom complete with an old balcony being at the rear of the second floor. I would crack the windows in the rear of the first floor and put Leon Redbone on the stereo down there. Heading back up to the balcony, I'd sit and read, enjoying 'Champagne Charlie' echoing off the walls. It was almost like I was hearing it from a nearby club.
      Great story, Bill!

Coincidentally, Leon died in Bucks County. So, I’m supposing that he was a resident of Pennsylvania.

- Ian
      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Sad to hear it. I can't say I'm overly familiar with his music, but what I know of, I like. And I liked his "character". We don't have enough entertainers like that anymore.

His wonderful part in ELF no doubt brought him a lot of fans, even if they may not completely make the connection between Leon the Snowman and the real deal.

RIP.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
          ……..

Coincidentally, Leon died in Bucks County. So, I’m supposing that he was a resident of Pennsylvania.

- Ian
          He lived in New Hope, PA … Beautiful small town filled with collectible shops, bistros and a live playhouse … North of Philly around Washington's Crossing on the Delaware

First time I heard him was on SNL in the 70's … To be honest, At first I thought he was a comedian singing in a funny voice.

RIP

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Oh, I"m sad to hear of this, I admired his musical style long before I saw him perform. Redbone was a staple on various NPR programming, Including our local Folk Alley show from WKSU. I had no idea of his age. RIP sir.

Thanks for the post, Ian.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• knight errant00
              8 Inch Action Figure
              • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by Mikey
              First time I heard him was on SNL in the 70's … To be honest, At first I thought he was a comedian singing in a funny voice.
              Me too! I thought for sure he was Dan Ackroyd in disguise, in fact, until I saw them both together.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎