Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone ever make their own comics as a kid?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marvelmania
    A Ray of Sunshine
    • Jun 17, 2001

Did anyone ever make their own comics as a kid?

Around the age of 10-11 I used to make my own comic books. Sometimes I'd use preexisting superheroes and other times I make my own up. I'd draw them adding a story then staple all the pages together. I know they must have looked horrible since I can't draw with a **** but I'd give about anything to have them all back now but they're long gone. Did anyone else do this and make their own comic books?
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

I used to fold a piece of paper vertically in half and then divide it into thirds to create six squares to create my comics. I did not use staples, however. I used tape to sloppily try and bind the pages together.

In sixth grade, I created a a character called Super Dorf that actually had a very small readership at school. I would draw it across both sides on piece of notebook paper and "publish" it on Fridays. There were about 8 classmates who'd pressure me to meet my deadline. They would would then pass it between each other. I even created a fan club with membership cards at one point.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Random Axe
      The Voice of Reason
      • Apr 16, 2008

I started making my own comics around age 8 and I still have them. It so fun to go back and read those. My stories were surprisingly mature and also pretty graphic lol.
      I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I tried but was never good at it. What I really liked, though, was designing characters with costumes and dossiers. I was much better at that, though I cheated a bit with a template, and I puttered with it all through college. It echoed my theatre work, I suppose.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

OMG, I have so many, from kindergarten to college, my superhero writing in high school is horrible, cringe-inducingly bad. You can tell i had zero life experiences, in college, i vacillated between ripping off Drew Friedman to ripping off Peter Bagge. I started and stopped several concepts during that period. Most of them I'm happy i never attempted to publish.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• RonnyG
            Career Member
            • Apr 23, 2014

I used to love to draw, and make my own comic books, too. I didn't really create my own characters, though, but I made many comic books based on other properties like Bewitched, and The Brady Kids cartoon show. Those were two of my favorite shows growing up. I wasn't really into Superheroes. I was more into Archie, so my stories were mostly humor and fantasy. I saved them all. Occasionally, I'll pull them out and read them, and think to myself, "What was I thinking??" I also think it would be fun to take advantage of today's technology, and scan them, and clean them up, and correct mistakes up by using a paint program.
            Last edited by RonnyG; May 28, '19, 8:26 PM.

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Yes. All that stuff is in my basement lost amongst the hundreds of storage boxes.
              sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

Yeah, I used to make my own comics as a kid. Always my own characters, super heroes, sci-fi, sword & sorcery, etc. I loved doing that... Sometimes I'd colour them, most times I'd leave them b&w. Sadly, none of that stuff has survived multiple moves and clear-outs over the decades.
                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

All the time. All. The. Time. Me and my brother had my dad photocopy panel templates for various page formats, and we'd go to town.

More unfinished starts than completed stories, but hey, it was inspiration.

My brother had the "Marvel Try-Out Book", which sadly he never did.

"How to Draw Comics The Marvel Way" was our bible.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Indeed. My friends and I actually made anthology comics. We'd each produce a story and staple it together.

I even drew "covers" of our toy play adventures. After we got done playing, I'd draw a cover of the latest Super Powers, GI Joe, or Transformers adventure.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

I tried, but always had a hard time creating comics, I wasn't very good at laying out panels, flow of action, dialogue, etc. On the other hand, I was pretty good at character design, I created tons of heroes and villains (a lot of them admittedly kind of derivative). I still most of my character profile drawings, complete with proper logos for each and everything (I did most of them in the 80's and early 90's when I was in my teens, early twenties). It's funny, I pulled out my stack of old superhero drawings and was showing them to my wife and kids just the other day.

Comment

• WannabeMego
                        Made in the USA
                        • May 2, 2003

Definitely did this with My Friends as kind of a PenPal thing when they went away for the Summer...We would send One Page (Front & Back) a Week to each other & construct a Comic that way.

Later on, as we got older, we made full comics we would trade to one another that we would sell to others...and as bad as they look today, we actually has some folks buy our books.

Here is a snapshot of My Friend's Book (Realm of Adventure) & Fanzine (Fandom Times) he created:

RoA-FT.jpg

The Mike Grell Cover for Issue 2 was a Commission
                        Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• Marvelmania
                          A Ray of Sunshine
                          • Jun 17, 2001

Wow Tom, that puts the comics I made to shame!!!

Comment

• Wee67
                            Museum Correspondent
                            • Apr 2, 2002

Tomasso, you make me glad I didn't save and post any of my old comics. I can't even call what I did comics next to your stuff!
                            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Random Axe
                              The Voice of Reason
                              • Apr 16, 2008

This is a really cool thread, and I think I'll dig up some of my old stuff and scan them. Not sure outside of photobucket how to post here, though. I used to do a couple of pages a week and have my friends read them like a serial. It was done on notebook paper during some classes and study halls.
                              I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎