X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Is That The Ice Cream Man Hear?

What was your treat when the Ice Cream Man came by? I mixed it up between bomb pops, drumsticks, vanilla soft serve with rainbow sprinkles and even the occasionally toasted almond bar. The one I went to the most often, though, was the Screwball. I loved Italian Ice (Water Ice in my Philly 'hood) and always liked getting the gumball in the end. The gumball was frozen into a chalky flavorless-ness, but I loved it just the same. So what was your standby back in the day?

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

We didn't have an ice-cream man, but I liked drumsticks and eclair bars, especially the strawberry ones.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

I thought the Ice Cream Man was just for the ladies...
      At least, that's how it seemed to me.
      We didn't have an ice cream man who came around, but we did have a milkman who delivered milk once a week.

Comment

• Marvelmania
        A Ray of Sunshine
        • Jun 17, 2001

Loved hearing that music they played. My friends and I would run screaming inside to grab some cash from our parents then speed back out and line up to be served!!! Too bad that pretty much ended for kids but then again you hardly ever see kids outside playing anymore.

Comment

• Brown Bear
          Still Old School
          • Feb 14, 2008

I was just telling my kids the other day how my all time favourite treat as a kid was Buried Treasure ice cream bars.
          I wish there was somewhere to get these today.
          Screwballs were up there too.
          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

American: Vanilla soft serve. Occasionally chocolate soft serve...but I preferred vanilla. Followed by drumsticks and eskimos.

Mexican: Paletas de pińa y coco...and raspados de fresa con lechera. Followed by Mangonadas.

sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

the ice cream truck does not come though my neighborhood anymore but I hear it all the time in the apartment complexes to either side of my neighborhood. you would think the dickhead would come through my neighborhood too, there are tons of kids

I don't really remember what I got as a kid, but now, when I do chance upon the ice cream man, I love me some Choco tacos

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                Museum Paramedic
                • Aug 31, 2005

I used to like the Superstar Fudge bars (chocolate and banana flavored fudgesicle. That was in Indiana.

Today, I’m in NYC and when the ice cream truck is parked across from my building I get the vanilla soft serve in a cone. Here we have Mister Softee trucks.

- Ian
                Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• TrekStar
                  Trek or Treat
                  • Jan 20, 2011

Haven't seen the ice cream truck in my neighborhood in years, but they came around often back in the day, and I enjoyed
                  getting what was called a circus suprise, it was orange or raspberry sherbet on a stick and when you finished, it reveled
                  a circus clown or circus/zoo animal, I would wash the stick and try to collect the set.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                    Persistent Member
                    • Mar 23, 2013

I want my ice cream man to be the guy from Phantasm!, ha!, ha!, ha!, ha!, ha!

orange push ups
                    pink feet

from the store:

fudge sticks
                    scooter crunch
                    ice cream sandwiches

Comment

• LordMudd
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 22, 2011

We still have one in my neighborhood, which is great for the kids, but I hate that music.

CCC.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Ours were on bikes and they were called "Dickie Dees" I don't know why. They sold this thing called a "Dracula Delight".

They went under in the late 1980s, in the 1990s I was at my friend's girlfriend's place and it turns out her uncle ran the Dickie Dees. They took me to the space freezer and I had possibly the last Dracula Delight in the world. It was magical.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Your'e always in the right place at the right time lol. What was the treat like--"bloody" cherry interior?
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                            Your'e always in the right place at the right time lol. What was the treat like--"bloody" cherry interior?
                            Oh man, the fates were smiling that day, always ask questions, it was purple on the outside, vanilla with cherry blood interior.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

As a kid, I would have loved that.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎