X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brue
    User without title
    • Sep 29, 2005

Most / least appreciated Mego you received in the 70's / early 80's

Sure I bought a TON of Megos in the years AFTER mego (1.0), but I am talking about which were your most and least favorite of the original era - and why.

I was looking through the galleries wand I came across the Bendies when this inquiry occurred to me.

Oh how disappointed I was with these. Sure I was glad to have received some kind of superhero gift (Bendy Superman). And I played with it since I had very few toys. But I just remembered thinking it was like those dime store toys I would get with my own small amount of money. I still think they look like foreign knock off toys. At this point, I would love to have them for the mego collector in me and their kitsch. But these were definitely the most disappointing Mego I had.

I was disappointed with a couple other "Megos". But that is because my mom thought she was getting me Megos, but they weren't. One was a poorly may RC Trans Am (recently posted here or on FB as seen in the JC P catalogue ad with the Mego figures). The other was that 12 inch GI Joe with the black suit, gold trim and a chest light. -Note: I was disappointed they weren't WGSH, but I liked those 2 toys.

So after going down negative lane, I thought about which one I was most excited to receive. The choice for me could only be an 8" WGSH. It would be easy to point to my first- Batman. I still have the very one I got for my B day in intentionally unrestored condition. I also could go with Thor because of just how far advanced he was from early Mego efforts. Finding Mxyspltk in a general store after I thought I would find mo more memos was cool - even though, he was my least sought after figure. Getting Wondergirl and Green Goblin in the ail in 1982 or 83 were my last ones in the Mego era - and they were really good looking.

No, the one I was really jazzed when I open it on Christmas 1970 something was SHAZAM! I loved the show. The figure (to me) had the essence of the show and the character - even though it had so many factual errors. I absolutely love(d) the way it looked. I was in love with the two color outfit and simplicity of design. The head sculpt said Captain Marvel. I played with him more than my other figures. He was just visually spectacular and fun to play with. In the 90's a dog chews his loer leg, foot and boot. I repaired him, and likely replaced him (I lost track of the original) - but he forever will be one of my favorite toys.
  • Iron Mego
    Wake Up Heavy
    • Jan 31, 2010

Got a Joker in the early 80s that I never cared for all that much. I think it had more to do with the fact that I was cycling out of toys by then.
    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

Most appreciated - Batman. I loved all my 8" WGSH's but Bats was the one who got the most play. He was the one I spent hours with, dreaming up adventures throughout our apartment complex.

Least appreciates - CAH Superman. I LOVED the Fortress of Solitude and all the CAH playsets, but I was really disappointed in the figures. They had terrible articulation compared to their 8" counterparts, but none worse than Superman. His coolest power is flight and I just couldn't get it into pretending he was soaring through the sky with bent legs and arms.
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Marvelmania
        A Ray of Sunshine
        • Jun 17, 2001

Most appreciated: Captain America

Least appreciated: Probably Robin

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

This is a strange thread to me. I asked for each of my childhood Megos--usually as gifts. So I appreciated receiving them. But I somehow ended up with Starsky but not HUtch and that is odd, so I guess he was the least appreciated.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Brue
            User without title
            • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            ... But I somehow ended up with Starsky but not HUtch and that is odd, so I guess he was the least appreciated.
            Coincidentally, the ones I listed as least appreciated are the ones I did not ask for.
            Last edited by Brue; May 27, '19, 9:39 AM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

The POTA Astronaut. What kind of astronaut goes into space without a space helmet. Even as a kid I thought it was lazy.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Most appreciated: Batman (and Robin). To me the Dynamic Duo were inseparable. And as my favorite heroes, I loved owning them, and playing with them. Multiple times.

Underappreciated: Definitely Mr. Spock. I got him for Christmas from a neighbor, and at that point, I wasn't into Trek, despite my Dad trying to get me to watch it with him. I knew Nimoy from In Search Of instead!

A few years later, the Trek bug would bite me, and I would wish I had other figures to play with, but they were long gone from shelves.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• josephcardone
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jun 10, 2010

Most appreciated was Captan Kirk. I had so many replacements lol. I kept breaking him

Least appreciated was Grok from One billion BC. My mom used to get these deals at Alexander’s. I think she bought (2) of these. They really fit in with nothing and that action lever did nothing for me either as a kid

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                    The POTA Astronaut. What kind of astronaut goes into space without a space helmet. Even as a kid I thought it was lazy.
                    None of the POTA astronauts, save for the Apes were shown with helmets though.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Most appreciated: The Lizard. As a kid who was obsessed by reptiles, this figure just pushed all the right buttons for me.

Least appreciated: Little John. My sister and I beat the crap out of that poor guy! He was a gift that I didn't ask for, but hey, it was still a Mego at least, and he still was better than Friar Tuck.

Comment

• hedrap
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 10, 2009

Most: The Thing. He looked the box art and the comic version of that time.

Least Robin. Underwear. Booties. Over Mitts. And belt that always broke.

Hulk was always bittersweet. Looked great. Too short.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by palitoy
                          None of the POTA astronauts, save for the Apes were shown with helmets though.
                          I know, but as a kid I thought it would be like a GI Joe Astronaut helmet, not a lame pilot helmet that does nothing to save you from SPACE!! Was Mego to cheap to pay to use Heston's likeness or was he weird about it?
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by cjefferys
                            Least appreciated: Little John. My sister and I beat the crap out of that poor guy! He was a gift that I didn't ask for, but hey, it was still a Mego at least, and he still was better than Friar Tuck.
                            I love Little John's head sculpt.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
                              Trek or Treat
                              • Jan 20, 2011

Least appreciated probably the Penguin (please don't curse me PNGwynne) I didn't dislike him, I did have Batman
                              and Robin, so it was good to have, but Pengy did not come with a.....you guessed it, UMBRELLA and it didn't make sense
                              to me. Hulk because he was shorter then the others, which didn't make any sense since he was supposed to be bigger
                              then the others.

Most appreciated Spiderman, because he had no clothing or accessories that could get lost, and dental floss made
                              for pretty cool webbing.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎