• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Holy Diver

May 25th 1983 Holy Diver.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Dio was so awesome!

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
      Moderation Engineer
      • Aug 14, 2003

I gotta say I wouldn't have guessed you being into Dio Werewolf. I'm glad he made the last album with Sabbath before he got sick.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
        I gotta say I wouldn't have guessed you being into Dio Werewolf.
        Dio's solo stuff appealed to me right away. It wasn't the usual sex, drugs and partying drivel and added to that was a heavy dose of D&D sword and sorcery lyrics and imagery. He also never seemed to talk down to his audience or try to pretend he was just another rebellious teen.

Edit: This reminds me why I never really got into bands like Judas Priest. You've got balding paunchy middle aged dudes screeching condescendingly to 80s teens "We don't need no, no, no parental guidance here." At their age you would hope not. I couldn't take that seriously. That and the whole biker bar look phase many bands were going through didn't appeal to me.
        Last edited by Werewolf; May 26, '19, 12:19 PM.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

I saw Dio sing for Sabbath on the Mob Rules tour. That was spectacular. I also saw his Holy Diver concert. That was a really great time for his music. I thought Sabbath was getting better with every album he was on, but it was good for him to go out on his own. He was my favorite singer, until King Diamond took that title from him.

Comment

• cjefferys
            Duke of Gloat
            • Apr 23, 2006

Nice, Dio ruled!

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
              Moderation Engineer
              • Aug 14, 2003

I'm going to need to dig out my Dio shirt now. Early teen me thought his stuff with Sabbath was deep. Later teen me just thought he rocked solo. Dusty old me thinks he seemed like a really nice guy. Time to dig out my Hear'n 'Aid VHS too.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                Dusty old me thinks he seemed like a really nice guy.
                That's another thing I liked about him. He seemed like a genuinely kind and caring person. He also never bothered with a persona or playing a character on stage. He never came of as fake.

Comment

• Spawn67
                  Career Member
                  • Aug 14, 2009

Yes Dio was not only one of the greatest singers/frontmen of all time but one of the nicest rockstars I have ever meet who had no ego whatsoever (lemmy was equally as nice). He took alot of heat in his career and he basicially saved Sabbath and took them in a whole new direction when in the late 70's they were considered a washed up act (still ruled though). Where early sabbath was gloom and doom Dio's vocals took it in a epic triumphant raise your sword feel.
                  I meet him backstage after one of his shows. He signed my Rainbow Rising album and remains my most prized possession. Jimmy Bain the bass player (R.I.P.) and the artist Ken Kelly signed it as well (got him to sign it at a convention)..

.12572997_1241965982485492_4441883179941192824_n.jpg

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

I always loved to hear Dio tell his story how he came up with rock's "devil horns", which is ironically taken from his Grandmother putting the eye of protection on him. Very charming guy. And what pipes!!!

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      I always loved to hear Dio tell his story how he came up with rock's "devil horns", which is ironically taken from his Grandmother putting the eye of protection on him. Very charming guy. And what pipes!!!
                      Other than his amazing vocals, Dio's greatest contribution to metal was the invention of "throwing horns". (although some other folks take credit for this as well, including Gene Simmons)

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

^Of course he does.

I worked with a rather...colorful guy about 20 years ago who swore he was at the first Sabbath show that Dio played at. He swore the fans nearly booed him from the stage at first, but he won them over by the end of the show. Not sure if there is any truth to that, but it was a good story either way.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• tay666
                          Career Member
                          • Dec 27, 2008

Sadly I only saw Dio once, and not until 2003.
                          When he opened for Iron Maiden.
                          That was a hell of a line up Maiden / Dio / Motorhead
                          My daughter and I had 3rd row for that and loved the whole night.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎