• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darkbros
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 3, 2012

Wanted MAttel Retro Action Black Manta Body ONLY

Hello!
    Looking for a Mattel Retro Action Black Manta body, in pieces is fine, no head, no costume , no hands even.
    Just the arms, Torso, butt and Legs with Feet.

Will purchase or Trade for it , just let me know.
    Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
    https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I have one I will open for you, because I want everything but the body. (I have a lot of Cheron parts...)

But I need to think how to remove the head without damaging the torso--normally I just crush the torso and pluck out the head lol.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• rche
      channeling Bob Wills
      • Mar 26, 2008

PNGwynne - I think i remember heating up the head and body and squeezing the sides of the torso with some channel lock type pliers to get heads off of Mattel bodies with minimal damage. I would wrap the ends of the pliers with cloth as well. Pretty sure that worked 9 times out of 10; but it has been a while since I have used one of those bodies.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Thanks! I think I have 2 Mantas, so I could still crush one to get an intact head. You can heat the styrene torso and squeeze it without cracking it?
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• rche
          channeling Bob Wills
          • Mar 26, 2008

It has been a little while. I was dismantling the bodies for parts. I actually like the torso and arms on those; just hated the wonky pelvis. Legs were ok.
          I would put the torso/head/upper arms in hot water for half a minute or so, then squeeze with the pliers and the sides of the torso would split. Some times a bit more than others, but I recall that working pretty good to get the head out with the hard plastic bit that was in the neck post.

Comment

• rche
            channeling Bob Wills
            • Mar 26, 2008

There may be some discussion of that archived in the re-mego section. I know most folks just destroyed the bodies and took the heads and hands.

edit - that sounds like some sort of terrible poaching sort of thing. Mattel poaching.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by rche
              I know most folks just destroyed the bodies and took the heads and hands.
              Mea culpa, though I liked the upper-body design.

Comment

• darkbros
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 3, 2012

I've simply boiled and popped as normal the Mattel Martian Manhunter, Hal Jordan GL, John Stewart GL, Ghostbusters Peter, without cracking the torso.
                I would imagine Manta would be the same? the only piece lost in this procedure is the little plastic "stem" used by Mattell to keep the heads inside the torso.
                The heads them selves have the Mego style plug, so I don't know why they even went with these. I followed the tutorials from fellow member Jase25 here on restringing:
                Hi! As discussed in my Analysis of the Mattel Retro Action Body - Mego Talk (http://megomuseum.com/community/showthread.php?t=44220), the Mattel Retro Action body does not look as bad as many worship. Granted, that we all expected a much better body design from the number one toy manufacturer in the world... But only the Lord

works great.
                In any case let me know PNG, but if all possible please don't crack the torso severely if you can help it.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

No, I'll try boiling and let you know. I've used boiling water on other projects successfully.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                    SynthoRes Transmigrator
                    • Oct 24, 2007

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    (I have a lot of Cheron parts...)
                    Scott, you have any extra black vintage bodies to sell?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Let me check my parts bin, they're all disassembled. I know I need to save one for Sinestro and one for Black Panther.

I need to dig out the Mantas, too. It slipped my mind over the holiday, I'm getting so woolly-headed.

Comment

• darkbros
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 3, 2012

PNG, any luck on this....?

Comment

• Mego Magyar
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jan 17, 2011

Let me check my parts bin, they're all disassembled. I know I need to save one for Sinestro and one for Black Panther.

I need to dig out the Mantas, too. It slipped my mind over the holiday, I'm getting so woolly-headed.
                          This might help for removing the DC Retro head
                          http://megomuseum.com/community/show...49#post1071549
                          Last edited by Mego Magyar; Jun 1, '19, 9:28 PM.

Comment

• Mego Magyar
                            Permanent Member
                            • Jan 17, 2011

Or this
                            https://www.facebook.com/10001023139...393751&sfns=mo

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

I just dug out and opened my Black Mantas this morning. I'm not going to try the boil method, because the helmet is in two parts: The top is vinyl, glued to a solid plastic base/neck guard. I'm afraid it would all pull apart, and I need at least one of those heads. I'm sorry, Darkbros.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎