Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody watch All In The Family / The Jeffersons LIVE last night ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Anybody watch All In The Family / The Jeffersons LIVE last night ?

Was not a fan of All in the Family … Woody ruined it for me.. I like Woody, but he's no Archie Bunker.

Jeffersons was much better --- Jamie Fox as George Jefferson was GREAT !!! He had the voice and the moves perfect.

Was not a fan of Will Farrell as Tom Willis … The guy who played Mr Bentley wasn't very good either.

Was nice seeing Marla Gibbs as Florence but she looked so old and feeble it made me sad.

BTW, Normal Lear looks fantastic considering he's 96 years old !!!
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

i heard Jeffersons was really well done but I missed it. I did not even hear about it before hand

Comment

• Marvelmania
      A Ray of Sunshine
      • Jun 17, 2001

Marisa Tomei was great as Edith. Agree that Woody couldn't pull Archie off but Jamie Fox more that made up for it.

Comment

• SeattleEd
        SynthoRes Transmigrator
        • Oct 24, 2007

I did not know this was happening. Weird thing is I spent all afternoon saying "Ah geez" to my kids like Archie. Must have been something in the air.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Not sure if anyone noticed but on the Jeffersons, Helen Willis was played by Kerry Washington … She was Broomhilda in DJango Unchained along with Jamie Fox

Comment

• boss
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 18, 2003

I just watched them. I really enjoyed both.
            Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

I thought it was weird leaving in THE WORD but beeping it out.

I think a better solution would have been changing it to Negro

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

I did think Marisa Tomei made a good Edith, but that was it for the Bunkers, Jamie Fox came of really well as George,
                if he was only shorter it would have been perfect.

I loved seeing Marla Gibbs regardless of how old she looked, but hey she's 88, and I was glad she was able to make
                an appearance.

I hope will see more of this in the future, especially if they do a Sanford and Son episode.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                  Persistent Member
                  • Aug 12, 2004

I'm guessing Maude and Good Times are next to receive the remake treatment.

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

m

Comment

• sprytel
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 26, 2009

I thought Ike Barinholtz made a great Meathead. Actually, I thought Harrelson was the only one that didn't quite work for me in the All in the Family cast. But I don't really have a better casting suggestion... Archie is a tough one to imagine anyone else in the role.

As for The Jeffersons, I agree with the rest of you that Jamie Fox did a great job. I enjoyed the Marla Gibbs surprise. But Tobolowsky didn't work for me as Bentley, and Will Ferrell seemed out of place as Tom. And really missed an opportunity by not using Zoe Kravitz.

But quibbles aside, this was a really fun idea. I hope they keep this going and do a Garry Marshall or a James Burrows or a MASH episode or something.

Comment

• Brue
                        User without title
                        • Sep 29, 2005

Just finished watching. Loved it. Can't say anymore without violating the no politics rule here.

Comment

• great_chandel
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2, 2015

I could not watch that airing! The casting was absolutely atrocious! The critics fried it. I usually do not pay much attention to them (I did like Siskel & Ebert though). However, they were right this time! Woody Harrelson was simply awful casting. Sure, who can replace Carroll O'Connor? However, Woody, seriously?

The 30 minute retrospective was not much better. I loved seeing Marla Gibbs! However, without Rob Reiner or Sally Struthers, it was very disappointing.

Comment

• Brue
                            User without title
                            • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by great_chandel
                            I could not watch that airing! The casting was absolutely atrocious! The critics fried it. I usually do not pay much attention to them (I did like Siskel & Ebert though). However, they were right this time! Woody Harrelson was simply awful casting. Sure, who can replace Carroll O'Connor? However, Woody, seriously?

The 30 minute retrospective was not much better. I loved seeing Marla Gibbs! However, without Rob Reiner or Sally Struthers, it was very disappointing.

WOW! We definitely had different takes on this. It was the exact same script. The sets and props replicated. Norman Lear himself approving of eh casting, and Meathead and Lionel were spot on. Florence looked like the same actress - just older

Yes Woody is a horrible actor. Usually. He pulled me out of Solo every time he was on screen. But he played himself on Cheers (not just namesake) and he was great in that zombie movie. Usually he is bad. BUT though he wasn't great as Archie, he was fine. And I like Jamie Foxx LESS - but he nailed George.

Somebody above said Bentley was wrong. I disagree - he was great. Same person said Will was bad. He usually can only play one role type. He did fine. Maybe this was his type.

Any rate the reason it was aired was to show how these ground breaking shows that challenged social norms of the era are unfortunately still relevant. And for that reason I loved them and at the same time was disgusted.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎