• Jun 16, 2001

Legends of the SuperHeroes outtakes

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I was going to say something snide about the whole think seeming like outtakes, but as a kid, seeing Capt. Marvel, Minerva, and Dr. Sivana was magical to me. Even at that age, I knew Ruth Buzzi and Howard Morris.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; May 21, '19, 8:19 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• YoungOnce
      Career Member
      • Aug 29, 2007

I know... I was the same way. Yeah, it’s comical and cheesy, but at the time, it was thrilling just to see my comic book heroes and villains brought to life.

And how cool is it that Dr Sivana is Ernest T Bass!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

^When his latest death ray fails, he just throws rocks through windows.

And I see Adam still hasn't tucked his cowl under his cape in these outtakes. That's bugged me since 1979.

But yeah, cheesiness, and honestly, unfunniness aside, I still have a soft spot in my heart for these, thinks to it having the "real" Batman, Robin, and Riddler, and so many other DC heroes and villains live, and looking like they just stepped off the comic page.

Chris

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I missed it as a kid, spent the 80s trying to find it and still remember when my bootleg copy arrived. I loved it, warts and all and still kinda do. It's not funny and everything said about it is probably true but yeah....

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
            ... everything said about it is probably true but yeah....
            What? Dish!
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I saw both of them in real time. But I was only 4, so as I got older, when I remembered it, I started to doubt if it was real. But my Dad still remembered the bit where Robin wrecked the Batmobile, and I knew that wasn't on one of the actual series' episodes. Then I think it was Comics Scene who ran a picture from it in the late 80s, and BAM, instant validation. I wasn't crazy...at least about that.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                What? Dish!
                Oh I just mean it's considered "Star Wars Holiday Special" these days and that's not unfair but I still enjoy it, it's pure cringe.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I don't find it terrible, though Mordru's number is "uh...okaaaay" and the Flash is awful. Green Lantern looks great and I"m amazed at the effort that was put into Sivana.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

There really ought to be a FTC figure line based off this. Its Batman 66 and Challenge of the Super-Friends related.
                    Last edited by thunderbolt; May 22, '19, 4:48 PM.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• monitor_ep
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 11, 2013

I remember watching this when it first came on (and SWHS). It was when one of the local channels where running reruns of Batman 66 and BAM my family watched both parts. We did not own a VCR back then (we just could not afford it) so decades later when I was in San Diego and attended my first sci-fi convention in the early 90's somebody had Challenge of the SuperHeroes, Star Wars The Holiday Special, and a VHS of UnReleased pilots (Batgirl, Wonder Woman, DicK Tracy). I bought them and enjoyed going back in time and watching them.

I was disappointed in that the Shazam/Isis episodes did not have villains but this special had TWO Captain Marvel villains. Still to this day I watch them from time to time and enjoy the simpler times.
                      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Wee67
                        Museum Correspondent
                        • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                        I was going to say something snide about the whole think seeming like outtakes
                        I was about to do the same. I really wanted to love this in spite of everything. I just couldn't. As a kid, I felt it was insultingly bad. As an adult, I just could never get into the its so bad its good vibe. I still try and watch it every now and then, but I just can't make it through it.
                        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎