X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Vintage Mego: Aquaman vs the Great White Shark

This week we explore the “Aquaman vs the Great White Shark” set from 1978, including its origins, history and some of the odd trivia surrounding this hard to get Mego item. Please hit like and subscribe to never miss one of our weekly features. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwY...7FAzPvP8FPSgpg

More...
  • Brue
    User without title
    • Sep 29, 2005

Thanks for posting. This was really my only "grail" piece.

Saw it only once in the store. WANTED it! Mom said to ask for it for my birthday. Never saw it again in person.

Grateful to Chad for making the replica. (Also, had the FTC one on display at home for a couple years, but really only needed the one - and Chad's has love in it, where the FTC one is simply a reproduction)

Comment

• EmergencyIan
      Museum Paramedic
      • Aug 31, 2005

Great one!

I’m surprised that it’s so rare when so many were produced and on shelves. That said, I have no nostalgia for it as I cannot recall having ever seen it in store. I definitely had numerous Mego figures by then. I would have wanted the set. By the time I was into WGSH, Mego was cutting the line back, as you mentioned. I’d see the other heroes pictured on the cards and then look for them at the store, with no luck.

- Ian
      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Same here, never new it existed until perhaps when I read Bonavita's book. An unreachable grail for me, so I'm very pleased to have repros.

Keep the vids coming, I like them.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TheMegoGuy
          Museum Super Collector
          • Jan 26, 2014

Great video!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

The elusiveness of this "white whale" (or great white) has kinda soured me on owning it...even though I can have a reproduction now! That doesn't really make any sense, but sometimes these things don't.

I'm pretty sure both Cindy and I passed up the real shark at a flea market about 20 years ago. I knew of the item from Tomart's magazine or it's big Action Figure guidebook. We passed it up, me thinking it was probably the Jaws game shark.

I got home and realized what it was (or probably was), but couldn't go back until the next weekend, since it was over an hour away. The next weekend, of course, it was gone.

Great video! And I figured out how to hit "like" on my Roku controls! Yay!

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• ScottA
              Original Member
              • Jun 25, 2001

What a great video. I am very happy to own an all original Aquaman vs the Great White Shark.

I honestly have mo memory of ever seeing it in a store growing up.
              sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Wee67
                Museum Correspondent
                • Apr 2, 2002

Count me in as one of those who wants one of these, but it being non-canon lets me say I don't want to shell out the money. I picked up one of the laser-printed ones from Mego Meet a few years back.
                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

had it as a kid and had many hours of playtime in the tub and the pool. great toy but alas it did not survive all those hours of play. I thing the pegs that held the jaw broke off so it got tossed

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎