X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klosterheim
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 23, 2013

Originally posted by Hedji
    Besides the already mentioned amazing opening sequence, some of my favorite highlights are:

The sequence in the airplane cockpit over the Himalayas - "You call him Dr. Jones, DOLL!" And Indy has no idea how to fly.

The Indian Village - first arrival is legitimately unsettling with the smoke in the air, the parents all wailing and touching Indy, and of course, Williams' haunting choir.

The Elephant Trek - THIS is just High Adventure in exotic lands at its finest. So many beautiful scenes in this sequence. Short Round's theme is a joy.

The Warning Altar - To this day, when Indy finds the blood on the altar, and gets that deadly serious expression and says, "Don't come up here!" to the others, it is truly chilling. And you've real bats in the sky behind him in the shot. Amazing.

Approaching the Stones - Indy using his whip, down to the stones, and the wonderful lighting effects as they're brought close. Indy is sweating like a pig as he puts them in his bag. Williams' music crescendos to the point of delirium.

Blood of Kali - The entire scene with Mola Ram... the blood (yecch), and whipping poor Short Round. It doesn't look like acting.

Exchange of Hats - The Raiders theme is played on cello as Indy and Shorty give each other their hats back and Indy apologizes. I get a lump in my throat EVERY time.

The Brawl - Nobody does fist fights like Indiana Jones. This is where Last Crusade dropped the ball, and the tradition. The Thuggee opponent is of course the same actor who played the Nazi mechanic who Indy fought in Raiders.

Can I just take a moment and say that the Slave Children's Crusade is one of my favorite themes in John Williams' entire oeuvre, and that's saying something. Sweeping, epic, exotic, adventurous... fortune and glory in the form of music.

Whip Action - The best whip use is in TOD. Hanging the assassin with the ceiling fan, swinging during the shootout in the mines, disarming the Thuggees of their swords.

And that brings me to

The Rope Bridge - I think it's one of the finest, tension building sequences in film history. Williams brings the exotic percussion and whips it up to an almost intolerable level of tension. Indy telling Shorty to hang on in Mandarin. Indiana Jones with the torn shirt and Machete is soooo iconic. I've watched this sequence a zillion times, and it never loses impact.

The Finale - I love happy endings. You can't not smile when Indy brings the kids home to the village. (Watch just before the big kiss and you'll see Harrison flinch in anticipation of the water from the elephant about to hit him.

End Credits - Listen carefully... you'll hear Short Round's Theme and Indy's Theme played together as though they were meant to fit. It's a wonderful suite of the major themes, and one of the Maestro's best.
    Yes! All the above for sure!

Really amazing. Top notch.

A superb film. Masterpiece art.

I think Netflix should add The Goonies and Young Sherlock Holmes next, so they can be watched side by side, to enjoy and to compare similarities.

Also, I realize Temple of Doom is the action figure play set I want!

The greatest playset never made.

And, 1941 has really grown on me over the years.

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

Here's a fabulous article on the music. Yesterday was the 35th anniversary of the release in the US.

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/...m98-zp3YoBQGqI

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

you inspired me to rewatch it too. still love it, although some of the effects have not held up very well

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

On a related note, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade premiered 30 years ago TODAY!

Comment

• Klosterheim
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 23, 2013

Fantastic! Wonderful stuff.

Comment

• YoungOnce
              Career Member
              • Aug 29, 2007

I have really enjoyed this thread. Hedji’s breakdown of some of the great elements of the film made me smile.

This has always been my 2nd favorite Indy film. As a matter of fact, I’d rank the entire series in order of release.

This film gets a bad rap, and I hate that Steven Spielberg thought it was lacking, so much so that he made Last Crusade he said to make up for it. But as far as capturing the spirit of old adventure serials, it felt like a great extension of the Indy universe.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎