Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier Figurines, and my other toys Thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klosterheim
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 23, 2013

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier Figurines, and my other toys Thread.

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier 5 Figure Set by Galoob.

I had these since the movie came out in 1989.

Star Trek V Side.jpg

Star Trek V Side 2.jpg

Star Trek V The Final Frontier.jpg
  • Klosterheim
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 23, 2013

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier Set.

James T Kirk.jpg

back 3 Kirk.jpg

Galoob back of package.jpg

Comment

• Klosterheim
      Persistent Member
      • Mar 23, 2013

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier Set:

Kirk, Spock, McCoy.

Kirk.jpg

Spock 2.jpg

Doctor McCoy.jpg

Comment

• Klosterheim
        Persistent Member
        • Mar 23, 2013

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier Set:

I like the picture boxes, I thought they turned out well. Nice figures.

Sybok and Captain Klaa.

Sybok 2.jpg

Captain Klaa.jpg

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

i remember seeing them in a magazine but never saw them in person

Comment

• Falstaff13
            Persistent Member
            • May 28, 2008

I remember an ad in Starlog for them of the Klingons, Kirk, and Spock. I didn't realize they even had a Sybok figure (or figurine) until you posted this.
            Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
            Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

I always wondered why a genuine toy company, Galoob would make relatively expensive for the time "statues" instead of action figures ?

And on top of that, make them cartoonish looking rather than realistic --- I always thought Spock looked like a child.

I passed on them at the time because they were WAY too expensive new - I eventually got a set one piece at a time at dirtmalls for cheap.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

I'm sure they only did Star Trek V toys to placate Paramount and get the TNG license, all the other movie lines bombed so they went for the "adult collector" route with them. Very early but everyone I knew at the time were aware of them.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• LordMudd
                  Persistent Member
                  • Aug 22, 2011

They already had the body for basic figures with Kirk, Spock and Scotty heads. They only needed to sculpt heads for McCoy, Sulu and Chekov. They could have added any Starfleet personnel they wanted to just by doing heads. With the savings from that they could have sculpted a female front torso and female heads of Uhura, Saavik, Valeris, and any other female personnel. Having other characters would have been nice but not entirely necessary.

CCC.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                    Persistent Member
                    • Mar 23, 2013

That's cool. There's a lot more to them than I thought. A lot more to the toy business than I thought years ago. The toy industry certainly has some interesting history.

Comment

• LordMudd
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 22, 2011

When we got our news from magazines, we learned that the most expensive part of the process was making the mold. This is why Kenner did so many rainbow Batmen. Later when the internet took over, ToyGuru at Mattel wanted us to believe that the paint app process was just as expensive as the mold making process, but he did reveal another part of the process when the Green Lantern Stel figure did not look right. He explained that it takes 8 to 12 months from concept to pegs. With Stel, the concept art was approved and passed to Mattel, then someone in graphics decided to change his appearance on screen, but Mattel was too far into the process to change the figure. Of course this does not explain why they did not choose to go with the comic accurate version in the first place, and he did not last long at Mattel after that.

CCC.

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

Thanks for sharing these. I've never seen them in person but have always wondered about them. I like them... They're so strange!

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

I remember back in the early days of Mego Museum me and DaveMc had a few discussions about reproducing the Star Trek 5 Galoob Kirk head to put on a Mego body …. The size untouched is pretty darn perfect.

At the time there was no decent "older Kirk" head for movie era customs.

In the end it was decided not to do it because it's just too cartoony.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                            Persistent Member
                            • Mar 23, 2013

Originally posted by Hedji
                            Thanks for sharing these. I've never seen them in person but have always wondered about them. I like them... They're so strange!
                            You're welcome, Hedji! Very cool! They are pretty different. The British Commando-type uniforms are rare in any Star Trek merchandise. Holding a tricorder looks good. They do have a unique shape.

I like that they have the Shuttlecraft on the display background, I thought the newly designed Shuttlecraft was a big part of Star Trek V. A very small shuttle came with the Star Trek V U.S.S. Enterprise model kit as well.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                              Persistent Member
                              • Aug 27, 2007

I had this set for years. I rarely sell off anything Star Trek, but they took up a lot of room and I hated that movie so much that I didn't shed a tear to see them go. They weren't bad for the time though, and they do have some appeal from a collector standpoint.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎