Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Star Trek V: The Final Frontier Figurines, and my other toys Thread.

Images
    When we got our news from magazines, we learned that the most expensive part of the process was making the mold. This is why Kenner did so many rainbow Batmen. Later when the internet took over, ToyGuru at Mattel wanted us to believe that the paint app process was just as expensive as the mold making process, but he did reveal another part of the process when the Green Lantern Stel figure did not look right. He explained that it takes 8 to 12 months from concept to pegs. With Stel, the concept art was approved and passed to Mattel, then someone in graphics decided to change his appearance on screen, but Mattel was too far into the process to change the figure. Of course this does not explain why they did not choose to go with the comic accurate version in the first place, and he did not last long at Mattel after that.

CCC.

Thanks for sharing these. I've never seen them in person but have always wondered about them. I like them... They're so strange!
    SELL ME YOUR LOOSE MINTY WONDER WOMAN!

Images
    I remember back in the early days of Mego Museum me and DaveMc had a few discussions about reproducing the Star Trek 5 Galoob Kirk head to put on a Mego body …. The size untouched is pretty darn perfect.

At the time there was no decent "older Kirk" head for movie era customs.

In the end it was decided not to do it because it's just too cartoony.
    .................................................. .......................

Quote Originally Posted by Hedji View Post
    Thanks for sharing these. I've never seen them in person but have always wondered about them. I like them... They're so strange!
    You're welcome, Hedji! Very cool! They are pretty different. The British Commando-type uniforms are rare in any Star Trek merchandise. Holding a tricorder looks good. They do have a unique shape.

I like that they have the Shuttlecraft on the display background, I thought the newly designed Shuttlecraft was a big part of Star Trek V. A very small shuttle came with the Star Trek V U.S.S. Enterprise model kit as well.

I had this set for years. I rarely sell off anything Star Trek, but they took up a lot of room and I hated that movie so much that I didn't shed a tear to see them go. They weren't bad for the time though, and they do have some appeal from a collector standpoint.

Blog Entries
    I remember they were quite the topic of discussion, the poses, the outfit choices, the fact they weren't really action figures. It's ironic that McFarlane would pretty much do the same thing (albeit better) a few years later and people ate it up.

Images
    A few things I didn't like about them besides the obvious of them being made to begin with

They were fixed to the oversized stands DEMANDING they take up all the room possible on your shelf.

Outside of the box with enclosed backgrounds in place they looked weird and incomplete.

Outer box wasn't a very good display -- too much direct light was needed to see the figures inside.

Didn't like the uniform choices --- of all people Dr McCoy got the only Star Fleet outfit ?

Sybok and Klaa must have had a different sculptor than the rest -- both are clearly nicer than Kirk, Spock and Bones
    .................................................. .......................

I recall seeing these at Lionel Playworld when I was in college. Not sure if they were on clearance by then, but passed because they were just statues.

Very interesting.
    ---------------------
    Something else from the 1980's.....

I saved a Robotech Hover Tank.

Robotech Hover Tank.jpg

Veritech Hover Tank.jpg