X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Brue
    As many here and FB have pointed out, it is hard to tell who will be a great Superhero/villain cast.
    Jesse Esienberg

In the end I think it comes down to factors outside the actor that makes it work or fail.
    Order of importance:
    1. Good writing. Story, Script, Dialogue
    2. Good writing. Story, Script, Dialogue
    3. Good writing. Story, Script, Dialogue
    4. Feel: Directing. Editing. Music
    5. Production: Effects, Props, Locations, Make up, costumes, Filming.
    6. Actor.
    I'm not the MCU cheerleader around here, but it's safe to say they did the reverse of that list.

Marvel made casting the most important call and diverged hard from the norms to build the franchise. Hemsworth was Aussie TV, Evans was just another working actor, RDJ was past his prime.

They then put all their money on Stan Winston and Ryhtym & Hues to the point where it inflated the budget for IM and Inc Hulk. They Hired Joe Johnston for Cap because he came for a VFX background and knew how to make every dollar count. Branagh was hired because he could make Asgard work. Only Favreau pitched Marvel, but that came about due to Arad wanting to get away from New Line. The scripts were dictated by budget and state tax breaks.

WB controlled this casting and it was the real production holdup. Patterson was signed to generate headlines as they did the same thing with Affleck.

The one guarantee is the script will be competent, but there's no investment by WB in doing something impactful like Marvel has done. They just want the guaranteed box office Batman's name brings.

Let's not forget how Gotham was originally pitched, (like it was NYPD Blue), and look how it became the kissing cousin to Batman '66. Same thing will happen here. The world's greatest detective will take a backseat to whatever romance subplot, for that's the reason you cast a guy like Patterson.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
      Moderation Engineer
      • Aug 14, 2003

For me, it all comes down to just how ridiculous he can make his gravelly batvoice sound.

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

It makes sense. He played a vampire and vampires turn into bats...

He’s a good actor, forget Twilight...plus as mentioned here before, he has that squared jawline.

Rumors that if talks fail, the one next in line is Nicholas Hoult (young Cyclops in the X-Men movies).

BTW, it could’ve been worse...Adam Sandler or Will Smith...

sigpic

Comment

• danadoll
          Micronaut Nut!
          • Apr 11, 2005

Is this real? Sounds like an absolutely horrible casting choice...but it's a DC movie, so I expect it to be bad.
          "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Rumors that if talks fail, the one next in line is Nicholas Hoult (young Cyclops in the X-Men movies).
            I heard that too. Not to be THAT guy, but he actually plays Beast in the X-films since First Class. Just so folks know who we're talking about.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• monitor_ep
              Talkative Member
              • May 11, 2013

Robert Pattinson as Batman

Robert-Pattinson-Batman.jpg

If the rumors are true than they need to develop a movie with characters that have not been used. No Joker, Catwoman, Penguin, Two-Face, Riddler or any as Ghuls. Batman has a rich villains pool to draw from. If WB starts to cast those same villains than it is just a rehash of a movie. Since Guardians of the Galaxy proved that non-popular characters with great writers can bring in money than why not cast another Bat-Villain, If you are going to cast Twilght start that aim for the more supernatural Bat-villains. I would love to have Professor Milo and Werewolf Anthony Lupus to start with. I would also like to see Nocturna, Orca, Tally Man. Maxie Zeus, Great White, Man-Bat, Reaper, The Mortician. I mean really if you cast an actor that played a vampire you might as well keep it up and go the way of the Supernatural side of Gotham City, heck instead of casting the regular GCPD characters why not include GCPD Midnight Shift??

Batman 255 Anthony Lupus.jpg
              professor milo.jpg
              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Prof. Milo & Lupus, Man-Bat, The Monk, Nocturna, Ventriloquist, Mad Hatter would be interesting. Penguin and Two-Face are worth a revisit in a neo-noir, Dick Tracy approach.
                Last edited by PNGwynne; May 17, '19, 7:15 PM.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 11, 2013

I think Mad Hatter will be off the table since the CW Batwoman is going with Alice & the Wonderland Gang. And after 5 years of Gotham they need to stay away from Penguin.
                  Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

If they cast Patton Oswalt as Penguin I'd be ok with that.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                      I think Mad Hatter will be off the table since the CW Batwoman is going with Alice & the Wonderland Gang. And after 5 years of Gotham they need to stay away from Penguin.
                      or be smart and use the Penguin from Gotham.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

The TV and film treatments don't mix in my mind, it's not the MCU.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                          The TV and film treatments don't mix in my mind, it's not the MCU.
                          yet they really should, it would have resulted in a better Flash for one. Ollie Queen would be another good one to steal from TV.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

If Pheonix's Joker is a hit would they reuse him in the DC movies?

Comment

• Gramercyplace
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Jan 23, 2012

I saw Rob-Pat ( as the kids say), in Lost City of Z. Charlie Hunam was starring, with a supporting cast of Tom Holland and Sienna Miller. Rob-Pat was unrecognizable in a smaller role. After the film, I was most impressed by the impact of his subtle performance. He’s an amazing actor with some chops. Any bozo can get a trainer and put on some muscle, and that will undoubtedly happen. But it takes a real actor to breath life into a fictional character with an improbable life. I’m very excited about this casting. Those Twilight flicks were trash, but it’s silly to hold the actors accountable for that.

Comment

• The Bat
                                Batman Fanatic
                                • Jul 14, 2002

This was rumored quite some time ago. I said then, and still believe, he will be a good batman (assuming the script is good)

http://megomuseum.com/community/show...light=pattison
                                I did as well...and I agree. He'll do just fine.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎