X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Which Came First For You- Comics or TV?

I LOVED superheroes when I was kid. Toys, notebooks, sheets, shirts... I couldn't get enough. I have to admit, thought, I was NOT brought into that world through comic books. For me it was TV. I ate up Batman reruns on Ch.29, the Super Friends on Saturday mornings and re-runs of the 60's DC Filmation. I started buying comic books because of the love I developed watching TV heroes. Its interesting that despite my attachment to DC, it was Marvel that won me over in print.

Which started your path into superhero fandom- comics or TV? Or are there any of you out there that were introduced to superheroes through toys?
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

cartoons, totally.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

I'm sure I sat in front of the tube, but comics taught me to read at an early age because I had to know what was going on.

Comment

• Marvelmania
        A Ray of Sunshine
        • Jun 17, 2001

Definitely TV, although I was really into Tarzan comics pretty early

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

I'm sure it was TV, probably prompted by my older brothers Mego collection, which eventually became mine. I remember watching Batman 66 and the Adventures of Superman every day. Super friends as well when it was on

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
            Career Member
            • Jun 8, 2015

comics

comics.

my first comic Avenger # 93 (1968)

my second & third comics

Marvel two in one # 3 & 4 ( and yeah, you ALL know who was in there!!!)

Comment

• knight errant00
              8 Inch Action Figure
              • Nov 15, 2005

Batman '66
              Spider-Man '67
              Space Ghost
              Adventures of Superman and Filmation Superman

...all the reruns of those before I could read got me started on superheroes, for sure.

Comment

• MRP
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2016

Comic strips, especially the Sunday funnies. My dad would sit and read them with me on Sunday mornings even before I could read, particularly the adventure strips he liked (Tarzan, Phantom, etc.). I would then be given comic books to look at on Sunday nights when my parents had their bowling night and I would be a the bowling parlor, usually brought by other bowlers for their kids too, but it wasn't super-heroes usually, it was stuff like Gold Key comics based on Saturday morning cartoons, or paperback collections of Peanuts, Beetle Bailey, Hagar the Horrible and such, and I was discovering Saturday morning cartoons at that time too, and Super Friends were a favorite. I got my first super-hero comic in the summer of '73, just before I turned 4 (it was Batman #250).I discovered Spider-Man on Electric Company sometime around then too, as well as getting a Viewmaster gift canister featuring the DC heroes and a bunch of other reels, some of which were Marvel heroes, others based on Hanna Barbera stuff, Disney stuff, and GI Joe. I started getting comics regularly with my allowance in late '74 once I had learned to read them on my own, but it had all started with the Sunday funny pages and my dad.

-M
                "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

I honestly don't remember, as I've loved superheroes since I was probably around 3 years old. It was most likely reruns of the 60's DC cartoons and 60's Spider-man, as Super Friends didn't debut until I was nearly six years old (but once it started I watched it regularly). When I saw my first Megos around 1973 (Superman and Batman) I definitely already knew who all the characters in Mego's lineup were. I don't recall when I first started reading superhero comics, but it was probably shortly after that.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

It had to be TV, although I had comics so early, at least by age 3 or so, that I can't completely verify that.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• Makernaut
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 22, 2015

It's hard for me to be 100% sure on this, but I'd guess for Superheroes, TV came first. I'm pretty sure my world of comics before "Super Friends" or possibly some Filmation re-runs would have been made up of what were referred to as "funny books". (Gold Key Looney Tunes, Harvey Comics, Archie, etc.)

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

Comic books.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Batman '66 and cartoons: First Filmation, then Super-friends, Spidey. I did not have comics until I bought them myself with my allowance, around age 10 (1977).
                          Last edited by PNGwynne; May 16, '19, 7:21 PM.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                            Persistent Member
                            • Sep 27, 2010

I'm pretty sure the 60s spiderman cartoon introduced me to the character before comics.

Comment

• sprytel
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 26, 2009

Same here. It definitely started with the animated Spider-Man... and then other TV like Batman '66 and Super Friends...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎