Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Came First For You- Comics or TV?

Images

Which Came First For You- Comics or TV?

I LOVED superheroes when I was kid. Toys, notebooks, sheets, shirts... I couldn't get enough. I have to admit, thought, I was NOT brought into that world through comic books. For me it was TV. I ate up Batman reruns on Ch.29, the Super Friends on Saturday mornings and re-runs of the 60's DC Filmation. I started buying comic books because of the love I developed watching TV heroes. Its interesting that despite my attachment to DC, it was Marvel that won me over in print.

Which started your path into superhero fandom- comics or TV? Or are there any of you out there that were introduced to superheroes through toys?
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Blog Entries
    cartoons, totally.

Images
    I'm sure I sat in front of the tube, but comics taught me to read at an early age because I had to know what was going on.

Images
    Definitely TV, although I was really into Tarzan comics pretty early

Images
    I'm sure it was TV, probably prompted by my older brothers Mego collection, which eventually became mine. I remember watching Batman 66 and the Adventures of Superman every day. Super friends as well when it was on

comics

comics.

my first comic Avenger # 93 (1968)

my second & third comics

Marvel two in one # 3 & 4 ( and yeah, you ALL know who was in there!!!)

Images
    Batman '66
    Spider-Man '67
    Space Ghost
    Adventures of Superman and Filmation Superman

...all the reruns of those before I could read got me started on superheroes, for sure.

Comic strips, especially the Sunday funnies. My dad would sit and read them with me on Sunday mornings even before I could read, particularly the adventure strips he liked (Tarzan, Phantom, etc.). I would then be given comic books to look at on Sunday nights when my parents had their bowling night and I would be a the bowling parlor, usually brought by other bowlers for their kids too, but it wasn't super-heroes usually, it was stuff like Gold Key comics based on Saturday morning cartoons, or paperback collections of Peanuts, Beetle Bailey, Hagar the Horrible and such, and I was discovering Saturday morning cartoons at that time too, and Super Friends were a favorite. I got my first super-hero comic in the summer of '73, just before I turned 4 (it was Batman #250).I discovered Spider-Man on Electric Company sometime around then too, as well as getting a Viewmaster gift canister featuring the DC heroes and a bunch of other reels, some of which were Marvel heroes, others based on Hanna Barbera stuff, Disney stuff, and GI Joe. I started getting comics regularly with my allowance in late '74 once I had learned to read them on my own, but it had all started with the Sunday funny pages and my dad.

-M

I honestly don't remember, as I've loved superheroes since I was probably around 3 years old. It was most likely reruns of the 60's DC cartoons and 60's Spider-man, as Super Friends didn't debut until I was nearly six years old (but once it started I watched it regularly). When I saw my first Megos around 1973 (Superman and Batman) I definitely already knew who all the characters in Mego's lineup were. I don't recall when I first started reading superhero comics, but it was probably shortly after that.

Images
    It had to be TV, although I had comics so early, at least by age 3 or so, that I can't completely verify that.

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif