Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MAXx FX Alien prototype

I've never understood the Matchbox Freddy thing. I'm not saying parent groups didn't protest, but I have a hard time believing that was the sole reason for the line's demise. There were LOTS of Freddy dolls, candy, 1-800 numbers at the time. Maybe Matchbox got cold feet, but they were hardly the only one marketing Freddy to kids.

Quote Originally Posted by ODBJBG View Post
    I've never understood the Matchbox Freddy thing. I'm not saying parent groups didn't protest, but I have a hard time believing that was the sole reason for the line's demise. There were LOTS of Freddy dolls, candy, 1-800 numbers at the time. Maybe Matchbox got cold feet, but they were hardly the only one marketing Freddy to kids.
    From what I understand, it was over the talking Freddy doll, that Matchbox, for some reason, released at the very same time. But you are right, they could have just pulled Freddy from the shelves and proceeded with the rest of the unproduced line. The way Mel talks of Matchbox, and you get this from his website also, I think there may have been more marketing issues over there, then were discussed publicly.

Very cool, and interesting. I didn't know there were actual prototypes made at the proper scale for any of the unmade figures; I thought the only ones were the original converted GI Joes. It really was a shame the line died before it even got started; the concept was a great twist on Captain Action, and there were a lot of places to go with it. Alien might also have raised some eyebrows (look at Kenner's debacle with the original film), but probably not as bad as marketing a child killer. And, as others have intimated, that may not have been the only reason the line was shelved; we've no idea what other problems Matchbox may have been having.