X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

Question for collectors and readers

Hiya folks. I am helping to clear out an estate of a person who had quite a bit of stuff, but some was not stored in the best environments.

My question for comic collectors is how much damage or poor storage would it take for you to consider a book unreadable? Several boxes of comics (from many different eras) were stored in a damp basement. Some of these books just seem a little soft. They might smell a bit musty, but I honestly can't tell due to the whole place they were in being musty. About 1/3 to 1/2 were bagged, and most of those seem ok, but a few of the bags show evidence of rodent nibbling along the top of the bags. Some of those have a very slight indication of chew damage on the top edge of the comic itself, but otherwise look fine.

Would you read a book in this sort of condition, or just toss it? There are a bunch of early 70's mostly from Marvel. There are some 12c comics from Archie and Dell, but no silver age from the big two that I can see. Are these worth trying to save, or should the whole pile just get lost to history?

All opinions appreciated. Thanks
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

I would read comics in that condition, with good ventilation.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

I certainly wouldn't throw them away.

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

I buy and read books in that condition when I can get them on the cheap for sure. I see a lot of books like that at cons, but they are usually bargain fodder- $1 boxes, $2 Bronze Age boxes, $5 Silver Age boxes, etc. Usually when dealers buy a whole collection, take out the keys and high grade stuff and just want to move the lower grade stuff as quickly as possible. There is a market out there and some demand for books like that, but it's not necessarily a lucrative market, unless you have some key books in there, as even in low grades, keys can fetch decent money (you mentioned early 70s, so something like a Marvel Spotlight 5, or Hulk 180-182, or a Batman 251 or something similar would be in demand even in lower grade).

That said, I know lot of collectors who draw the line at actual water damage to books. The musty smell is a problem for some others too, so the demand could be limited depending how bad the condition is (but those are folks who generally look for higher grade stuff, not reading copies). So there is demand for low grade reading copies, but you have to find the right type of buyers to get them to move. They are the kind of books that can sit forever if overpriced or overgraded (as I often see at antique malls, flea markets, etc.) but if priced right and put for sale in a place where the right kinds of potential customers (i.e. readers) can encounter them, they will move. So, I would not toss them, but it might take some work if you are trying to sell them off, and I wouldn't expect a big return if you do. You could put inquiries in with some of the bigger national dealers who travel for collections if you are just looking to move it and get a little something for the person whose books they are, or if there are some bigger regional dealers in your area, especially if there are a few keys in there to whet their interest.

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• rche
          channeling Bob Wills
          • Mar 26, 2008

Thanks for the input. I plan on airing some of these out. There were some Defenders that I thought folks might want for readers/beaters. Some other 25c and 30c books, but I don't think any keys. I threw away the ones with major water marks or mold.

Comment

• rche
            channeling Bob Wills
            • Mar 26, 2008

Anyone have a suggestion for a website or magazine or book that would cue me in on key issues for bronze age and 80s comics. I used to read comics value monthly, and I am aware of the Overstreet guide, but I figure a lot has gone on in the interwebs and magazine world since the last time I had any concern about values for comics.

Comment

• Marvelmania
              A Ray of Sunshine
              • Jun 17, 2001

You might give this a look

See which 1970s comic books are worth big money. Our Top 200 most valuable comic books from the Bronze Age will tell you. Buy and sell your comics at Goldin.

Comment

• rche
                channeling Bob Wills
                • Mar 26, 2008

thanks marvel mania.

Comment

• MRP
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 19, 2016

If you enter the books you have at Lonestar/mycomicshops buying page here https://www.mycomicshop.com/webuycom...FQoBQAodkgTnpg it will tell you what they are buying it for. Any book listed with best offer means they will match any offer because it is a "hot," key, or in demand issue. The price listed is what they are paying for it (with 2 prices in cash or in credit) not what it is selling for. They usually list books at 3-4X what they buy at on the website (unless it is a consignment book, then the seller sets the asking price).

-M
                  "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• rche
                    channeling Bob Wills
                    • Mar 26, 2008

very interesting. thanks for the info, mrp.

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

I was going to say, air them out first. If they don't smell and look good at first sight, it's about 1-5 a book. Unless they're in better condition then you realized. Anything 30-40 years old is going to have an audience.

Comment

• rche
                        channeling Bob Wills
                        • Mar 26, 2008

thanks Hedrap - I managed to salvage most of them. One box had some serious rodent slime and live babies in it and I just could not help those. Some Wolverine and X-men from late 80s in there, but I did not want anyone who was helping me with the clean out to get sick, so those just had to go. There are some fun items in the pile, but nothing too amazing just yet. My favorites have been a few Charlton horror books I found. I'll probably buy those myself.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎