Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Wars Retro collection review & pics.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Myoldtoys
    Veteran Member
    • May 15, 2012

I'm glad you were successful. I was at 3 Targets today. None had put these out. I actually just came home from a Target. I thought it might be worth a try to go close to closing time and see if they would at least put them in the hold area and I would be there at opening to buy them. I was told no. I was also told that the odds of these being on a display when I went there at opening was zero. I will have to try to beat the scalpers to a live human being who will be capable of pulling these from the warehouse before they are all gone. The previous info I got of 12 in stock was technically untrue. It says 12 but only 6 are guaranteed in stock. I am not optimistic about getting these.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

I've been reading that it's really hit or miss on finding these. Hopefully they will be easier to get soon as the initial rush dies down and by fall they will be much easier to get when Target's timed exclusive window expires.

Darth Vader

1995, vintage, retro.

retrovader.JPG

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Brue
        Cool - I just looked it up. I have the Escape from the death star game sold in the 90's that came with a couple figures. I think It was Vader with removable helmet and something else - maybe more. I can't remember.
        Luke in Stormtrooper armor. I got the game just for that figure!

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Good news for Canadian collectors. Amazon.ca has them for pre-order.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Klosterheim
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 23, 2013

Excellent. Fantastic in fact!

Looks like I can't go wrong with these Retro figures.

I still have my 1990's Tarkin too, along with a cereal mail'a'way, which I think was Han Solo in Stormtrooper disguise.

Retro Stormtrooper is especially awesome!

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

Is it me or does the nose on the new Luke look different? I know,weird thing to notice.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                Museum Paramedic
                • Aug 31, 2005

Great to know the quality is there. Also, great review. Thank you!

From what I’ve seen, the Stormtrooper is my favorite. To me, they all look pretty good, with the exception of Leia. I’m not sure if I’ll buy any, but if I were to buy any, right now, it would be a Stormtrooper and Tarkin.

- Ian
                Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• SeattleEd
                  SynthoRes Transmigrator
                  • Oct 24, 2007

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                  Is it me or does the nose on the new Luke look different? I know,weird thing to notice.
                  Not weird. You are right. It does stand out.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                    SynthoRes Transmigrator
                    • Oct 24, 2007

And looks like they are temporarily out of stock status online.

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

The head sculpts of Luke and Leia are maybe a touch softer. But it's my flash that exaggerates it. They are very glossy and bright. They really look better in person. Leia is fantastic. The only issues I have is Han can't hold his gun and the Stormtrooper doesn't hold it as tightly as the vintage figure. He can still hold it no problem. But if you give him a slight shake he'll drop it. I imagine they will have a running change to fix the blaster issues.

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

Thanks for this thread, Werewolf. And thanks for the fine pictures and commentary. I appreciate you taking the time to do this, especially with the 95 4-pack figures. I was considering doing the same photos, and you saved me the trouble, so again, thanks.

That 1995 4-pack was scorned by collectors back in the day. People spoke loud and clear to Hasbro they wanted new, not old, and Hasbro listened. What a difference 24 years makes.

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji
                          I appreciate you taking the time to do this, especially with the 95 4-pack figures.
                          Thank you I was happy to help. I never got the hate the 95 POTF four pack got either. I'm beginning to think it was more of a vocal minority online than the actual over all fan/collector views on the set. I loved it and bought two sets and it's very rare for me to buy doubles of anything.

Comment

• Brue
                            User without title
                            • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by sprytel
                            Luke in Stormtrooper armor. I got the game just for that figure!
                            Oh yeah, that's right. I also got the game just for the figures. I had the Kellogs Stormtrooper han already. -Of course Hasbro eventually re-released them in a set.

I think I kept the parts to the game, but got rid of the game after a decade or more.

Comment

• Hedji
                              Citizen of Gotham
                              • Nov 17, 2012

I came home with a set today, and comparing them to the 1995 set, I think they got the luster of the plastic better. This is one thing so many "retro" figures of late have gotten wrong. They have that wonderful glossy sheen that screams "I am a toy... love me!" That shiny, cheap plastic that would show up in the glow of the old Kim Simmons Photography that was used in all the old Kenner catalogues.

These are really fun. I hope they make more than enough so that people can army build to their hearts content.

Comment

• Werewolf
                                Inhuman
                                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji
                                This is one thing so many "retro" figures of late have gotten wrong. They have that wonderful glossy sheen that screams "I am a toy... love me!"
                                Exactly! These are not the dull matte of the Retro action or Gentle Giant Jumbo figures. These are vintage glossy. Just like the original Kenner figures when they were new. It's hard to photograph and my flash really doesn't do them justice. You really have to see them in person to appreciate them.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎