Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Wars Retro collection review & pics.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Star Wars Retro collection review & pics.

Picked these up at Target today. The board game was sold out. They must have put that out early. The space for it was empty.

For those that were worried the quality and plastic is the same as the originals but with cleaner paint applications. The guns are molded in black instead of the vintage blue/green. The foot peg holes are vintage sized and not the smaller ones of the modern Hasbro figures. The markings on the back off the legs have been changed. It was rumored, at toy fair, when these were announced that they would be slightly larger than the vintage figures. They are not. They are exactly the same size except for Chewie who is slightly shorter. Not as short as the 1995 POTF reissue but not quite as tall as vintage. I'm guessing it might have been on purpose to fit Chewie better into a reissued Falcon if the line takes off.

Chewie's right foot isn't as detailed as vintage. The sculpt is softer. The rest are pretty much the same. My guess is the molds for these are made from digital scans of vintage figures like the Gentle Giant Jumbos. Han does have trouble holding his blaster. The handle is too thick for his grip. I imagine you could shave the blaster handle down slightly to fix this issue. He has no problem holding the slightly smaller blaster from the 1995 POTF reissue Han.

There are subtle differences between them so they can't be passed for vintage. But the differences don't really stick out any more than all the numerous little variations in the vintage line. For all intents and purposes, these are Kenner SW figures.

1995, vintage, retro. I will post more pics shortly.

retrochewie.JPG

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Leia and Stormtrooper.

Vintage, retro, vintage, retro.

retroleiatrooper.JPG

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I like seeing these, sparks fond memories.

Leia looks a bit resculpted.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne

Leia looks a bit resculpted.
        Might be just my camera flash glare adding to it. They are very close.

Han solo

Vintage, Retro, 1995 small head.

retrohan.JPG

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

It is weird seeing Leia and the Stormtrooper in bright white without that yellowing. I think they came out of the package yellowed.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by sprytel
            It is weird seeing Leia and the Stormtrooper in bright white without that yellowing. I think they came out of the package yellowed.
            It is a little depressing how brown they've gotten over the years.

Comment

• Brue
              User without title
              • Sep 29, 2005

I'll get retros of ones I don't have (or have poor condition)

Is there a list of characters they are putting out?

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Brue

Is there a list of characters they are putting out?
                Seven so far. Luke, Leia, Chewie, Vader, Stormtrooper, Big head Han and Tarkin with the board game.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I love that they did Tarkin, as a kid I wanted him so badly.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Brue
                    User without title
                    • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Werewolf
                    Seven so far. Luke, Leia, Chewie, Vader, Stormtrooper, Big head Han and Tarkin with the board game.
                    Tarkin!!!!???? In the style of the vintage characters? I am in. -unless it is the 90's hasbro repro.

I would also get Storm troopers (at a reasonable price).

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                      I love that they did Tarkin, as a kid I wanted him so badly.
                      Yeah, that was awesome. They could do so many cool figures never done in the vintage line. I have high hopes for Yavin Luke, Han Stormtooper and Rebel Trooper.

Tarkin!!!!???? In the style of the vintage characters? I am in. -unless it is the 90's hasbro repro.
                      Pure 70s Kenner style. He looks fantastic.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I saw a pic of him with the game, he's indeed wonderful.

Your other suggestions are great.

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Luke Skywalker

1995, vintage, retro.

retroluke.JPG

Comment

• Brue
                            User without title
                            • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Werewolf
                            Yeah, that was awesome. They could do so many cool figures never done in the vintage line. I have high hopes for Yavin Luke, Han Stormtooper and Rebel Trooper.

Pure 70s Kenner style. He looks fantastic.
                            Cool - I just looked it up. I have the Escape from the death star game sold in the 90's that came with a couple figures. I think It was Vader with removable helmet and something else - maybe more. I can't remember.

The game isn't very good.

I also pulled up the hasbro pic.

I still have my hasbro tarkin. The retro one does look better. But I am not likely to buy the game again just for the figure.

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

The game isn't very good.
                              Well, no, but I had it as a kid and still loved it. So getting a minty new copy of the game with Tarkin is a win-win for me.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎