X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phil
    Persistent Member
    • May 11, 2007

Tutorials For Head Shrinking

Are there any step by step tutorials on how to shrink heads? I have a few Playmates Trek heads I'd like to shrink to MEGO size. I am looking for some very easy to follow directions because I have never done it before and my memory and concentration isn't what it should be.
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Acetone and Naphtha are two chemicals used to shrink heads. I have shrunk Playmates heads with acetone. You just soak the head in a sealed jar of acetone and it will absorb it and swell up. Then you remove and let the chemical evaporate out of the vinyl, and it shrinks. Soak time depends on the actual individual head. I've never used the naphtha to do it, but others here have and could probably instruct you.

Comment

• phil
      Persistent Member
      • May 11, 2007

Thanks for the response. After the head swells and then shrinks is it then MEGO size or do you have to soak it more than once?

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
        Moderation Engineer
        • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by phil
        Thanks for the response. After the head swells and then shrinks is it then MEGO size or do you have to soak it more than once?
        It isn't an exact science unfortunately. I have stopped using acetone and have switched to Naptha because it doesn't remove paint like Acetone, and in general it seems a little less caustic. I'm still learning Naptha, but in general soaking the Playmates head a week, and then letting it dry out a couple of days is what works for me. Sometimes it takes more than one soak. When drying a head turn it upside down so the inside can breathe better.

Comment

• phil
          Persistent Member
          • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
          It isn't an exact science unfortunately. I have stopped using acetone and have switched to Naptha because it doesn't remove paint like Acetone, and in general it seems a little less caustic. I'm still learning Naptha, but in general soaking the Playmates head a week, and then letting it dry out a couple of days is what works for me. Sometimes it takes more than one soak. When drying a head turn it upside down so the inside can breathe better.
          That is very useful. What sort of container do you use to soak the head in?

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
            Moderation Engineer
            • Aug 14, 2003

I use a glass jar and close the lid so I don't take years off my kids' lives with daddy's off-gassing. Peanut butter jar size.

Comment

• phil
              Persistent Member
              • May 11, 2007

Not to sound stupid but do you fill the jar with Naptha or just enough to keep the head submerged?

Comment

• sprytel
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 26, 2009

Yeah, same here. I seal it in a jelly jar. I don't fill it to the brim, but you I put a liberal amount in there. Steve may have done more than me now, so he can correct me... but in my experience, the Naphtha seems like it can be reused for multiple shrinks (unlike acetone, which you will want to change each time). So really no need to skimp when pouring it in the jar.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

Why would you not reuse acetone? I use it for multiple shrinks...

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

Really? But it gets all crudded up with the paint it pulls off the head...

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                      Moderation Engineer
                      • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by sprytel
                      Same experience. Anytime I have used acetone on a head with dark hair the liquid becomes brown from mixing with the paint and it makes it harder to see what's happening.

I fill my jars about halfway with Naptha.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by sprytel
                        It only takes a couple of seconds to take the paint off with some acetone and a cotton ball. Then soak the clean head in acetone.

Comment

• phil
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 11, 2007

Thanks for the information guys.

Comment

• sprytel
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                            It only takes a couple of seconds to take the paint off with some acetone and a cotton ball. Then soak the clean head in acetone.
                            That's a pro tip there. Makes total sense. Thanks!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Jan 19, 2008

I have to say, I'm not advocating using acetone, it's just the only thing I've used. Naphtha seems like it would be better, from what people are saying. Longer process, but better results by keeping the original paint intact. I wonder if naphtha would shrink the heads that acetone wouldn't. I tried to shrink a couple of Mork heads with acetone, and it was a total failure. They shrank zero percent.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎