Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Toy-Ventures 20- My Star Wars Collection

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 31, 2005
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    5,335
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbutsu View Post
    Also, considering how mediocre the materials quality was on the original releases, I have to think that "as good" isn't setting a terribly high bar...
    That may be true, but the originals aren’t bad in terms of quality versus the plastics I’ve experienced with many new repro versions of vintage action figures. A lot of the plastic doesn’t feel solid/strong, sometimes seems flexible and it’s almost translucent.

    - Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 15, 2012
    Posts
    143
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by EmergencyIan View Post
    That may be true, but the originals aren’t bad in terms of quality versus the plastics I’ve experienced with many new repro versions of vintage action figures. A lot of the plastic doesn’t feel solid/strong, sometimes seems flexible and it’s almost translucent.

    - Ian
    The reviews so far have noted that the weapons don't stay in the retro figures hands. Either the design is off or the materials might be. Fair to say, they don't make things like they used to. The good news is that in most cases the retro figures won't be subjected to the kind of play the original ones were. Someone bought me a set of the 1995 reissue Luke, Vader, Han, and Chewie. These are not popular with collectors. I will say that they still look like new after 24 years. Have they fixed the issues with white plastic yellowing with exposure to UV? Because Luke's shirt from that set is still very white.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 31, 2005
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    5,335
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myoldtoys View Post
    The reviews so far have noted that the weapons don't stay in the retro figures hands. Either the design is off or the materials might be. Fair to say, they don't make things like they used to. The good news is that in most cases the retro figures won't be subjected to the kind of play the original ones were. Someone bought me a set of the 1995 reissue Luke, Vader, Han, and Chewie. These are not popular with collectors. I will say that they still look like new after 24 years. Have they fixed the issues with white plastic yellowing with exposure to UV? Because Luke's shirt from that set is still very white.
    Good info there. Thanks! Maybe the 1995 reissue figures are the way to go, if one doesn’t choose to go with loose vintage figures.

    - Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 11, 2002
    Location
    Soggy Tundra
    Posts
    4,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Myoldtoys View Post
    Here is what I have learned so far about the retro collection. The street date is 12-May. From talking to 3 different Targets about this, they were firm with me that they would not be coming out in their store before then. They are also register locked which means the ones you see on eBay were entered into the register as something else. All of this is grounds for being fired for breaking the street date. The one manager told me they had 12 of each. I'm going to call to confirm and might even stop at a Target the day before, and then be there before they open on Sunday. Im only in it for one set for myself. Hopefully, that plan works or else I wait for fall when other retailers have them online.
    This is what's so off-putting to me. 12 sets at most Targets, if it's something like that, is far from the scarcity that the scalpers will create when they buy it all out - consider also that there were online preorders as well. It's gross and puts me off collecting sometimes.

    I heard about someone who found a figure locally here and tried to take it to the self-checkout and it wouodln't scan, so that at least is working as expected. I'm not even 100% convinced the cases that have made it out were entered into the register at all in some cases.

    (Why do I care so much when I already have at least a couple of all these figures loose? I honestly don't know - I think it's the experience of pulling them off the card combined with having some figures I can leave laying around to fiddle with and not feel like I'm taking a risk)
    Last edited by jimbutsu; May 8, '19 at 9:15 PM.
    "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

    - Mark Twain

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 14, 2003
    Location
    Netherworld
    Posts
    11,816
    Images
    148
    The retro figures are only a timed exclusive for Target and will get a wider release this fall. Which is good because the Target in my area generally doesn't stock too well.

    The only issues I've seen in reviews of the figures is some Hans and Stormtroopers hold their weapons loosely. When I get figures like that I just hot water dunk them and squeeze the hand tighter. That usually does the trick. Other than that the quality is supposed to be the same as the originals. Except for maybe cleaner paint apps.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 31, 2005
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    5,335
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    The retro figures are only a timed exclusive for Target and will get a wider release this fall. Which is good because the Target in my area generally doesn't stock too well.

    The only issues I've seen in reviews of the figures is some Hans and Stormtroopers hold their weapons loosely. When I get figures like that I just hot water dunk them and squeeze the hand tighter. That usually does the trick. Other than that the quality is supposed to be the same as the originals. Except for maybe cleaner paint apps.
    I’m still a bit open to these reissue figures, but one shouldn’t have to fix new toys. Unfortunately, that seems to be the rule today and not the exception.

    - Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 27, 2008
    Location
    conneaut OH
    Posts
    515
    Love your collection.
    Those carded 12-backs looks sweet. I am really jealous of them.

    I loved SW when I was a kid. And tried to collect as much as I could. Somewhere around Jedi is when I started loosing interest. Had a bunch of figures, some of my last purchases even stayed on the card. Lots of playsets that I kept the packaging for.
    It was 2002 when I ditched the whole collection. I'd been carting it around and storing it for years. Kept thinking about getting back into it, but then I realized just how much was out there, and how expensive it was going to be. Decided if I couldn't finish it, I should get rid of it. Sold it all on ebay. Used the money to pay for my first trip to Wonderfest to feed the hobby that has outlasted all others so far (model building)
    The only thing I have left is my card collection. I had a complete run of all the Topps cards from all 3 movies.
    I sold off all my duplicates but held on to the collection.

    Seeing those original 12 on that mail-away stand really brought back the nostalgia though.
    If I were to ever add anything to display some day, it would be that. That display with all 12 loose figures.
    Nice, compact, and so poignant.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •