Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy-Ventures 20- My Star Wars Collection

Images
    Loved the episode. It reminds me why I come to this site (i'm not that into mego. Sorry). Lots of great people who share a common interest. Much less high-and-mighty or down right negative like others. Off the soap-box now...

I had around 35 of my original figures, and almost all with their parts. I stopped buying after the first wave of ESB figures. I switched to GI Joes in 1982. Maybe about 10 years ago, I started buying the ESB and ROTJ figures that I didn't have. Rules for that mission: Had to have the original accessories, and none of the last 17 figures due to cost. I started getting them via auctions, but found that I often got outbid. Then I started buying locally from 2 vintage stores. They helped me reach the goal of the first 77 figures. I'm trying to figure out best way to display them.

I found that my rules got bent after achieving my first SW quest. I bought quite a few of the Force Awakens 3.75 figures. They are packed and likely won't come back out. Just don't have the same feeling about them. I am going to try to get the retro collection figures that are coming out this Sunday. I won't ever pay for carded vintage figures. So hoping these will feel vintage enough to interest me. I would like to display them with my original 12 on my original mail-away display stand.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Myoldtoys View Post
    I am going to try to get the retro collection figures that are coming out this Sunday. I won't ever pay for carded vintage figures. So hoping these will feel vintage enough to interest me. I would like to display them with my original 12 on my original mail-away display stand.
    Rebelscum has some really good pics of the retro figures. Other than Chewie being a hair shorter the figures look great. They look like the vintage figures except for, you know, being bright and minty.

http://www.rebelscum.com/The-Retro-Collection.asp
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

I let go of my childhood collection and always really regretted it. Picked up the occasional piece here and there, starting with just the stuff I remembered/had an attachment to, but even as a little kid I wanted to collect them all (though I didn't know/care about variants), so in a way I have an attachment to the idea of getting a run of figures as well. Been on a bit of a tear recently as I've stumbled into a few opportunities to plug large holes in lots, but the cost is getting out of control for stuff that, to be brutally honest, really is NOT that rare. Not evena figure like Yak Face, that I'm ashamed to say how much I spent on but am still glad I have.

Really love the Target Retro figures, but people are already selling those on eBay and they're not even out yet... makes me wonder if they'll really be available at retail or if it's going to be a giant mess.
    "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Images
    It’s interesting that you missed out on the movies in the theaters, Chris. We’re the same age (and from the same area) and I saw all of them in theaters. Back then, they rereleased Star Wars, at least twice, prior to the release of ESB. Then, I saw ESB when new and ROTJ when it was released. Did you not go to movie theaters until later on or did your parents think you weren’t “ready” to see the Star Wars movies when you were very young?
    My parents thought I was too young when the first one came out. I was only 2 and a half in the summer of 77. She did take me downtown to the premiere, to "meet' Darth Vader (who happened to be her boss in the costume), which is really odd, considering that was probably way more frightening than just watching the movie. Not sure if the film ever came back to our town, or why I didn't see the sequels in the theater either. I did have storybooks and book and record sets, though!

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Earth 2 Chris View Post
    My parents thought I was too young when the first one came out. I was only 2 and a half in the summer of 77. She did take me downtown to the premiere, to "meet' Darth Vader (who happened to be her boss in the costume), which is really odd, considering that was probably way more frightening than just watching the movie. Not sure if the film ever came back to our town, or why I didn't see the sequels in the theater either. I did have storybooks and book and record sets, though!

Chris
    I understand, Chris. As I was writing my post yesterday, it occurred to me that your parents probably thought you were too young. Of course, at 2 1/2, you were. I remember seeing it in a theater in Evansville, but it was probably in 1978 and/or in 1979 (it seems like I saw Star Wars twice in the theater, prior to the 90s). Evansville was just big enough to have several movie theaters. If your area was smaller, they may have opted not to rerun rereleases of recent films. As you said, the irony in all of that is that they took you to meet Darth Vader. I think that meeting might have scared me, as well, especially at 2 1/2.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Blog Entries
    I've decided to pass on the Target retro figures, I was very tempted by the Tarkin and well, I think he'll be the one you'll be able to find but I don't need to open this door. I have no qualms about them existing or their quality but just don't want to go there.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    I have no qualms about them existing or their quality but just don't want to go there.
    I am SO going there. Once these get wider distribution I'm going to army build me some minty white Stormtroopers.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Images
    I like the idea of the new release of the vintage figures and the figures I’ve seen, in photographs, look good. However, the two things that give me pause are: 1) Will the quality of the plastic be the same as the originals? If not, I’m not interested. 2) If these don’t end up being readily available at retail, I’m out. I have no interest in paying above retail for reproductions.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Supposedly they're going wider than Target exclusives after a while, so maybe that will help.

Also, considering how mediocre the materials quality was on the original releases, I have to think that "as good" isn't setting a terribly high bar...
    "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbutsu View Post
    but the cost is getting out of control for stuff that, to be brutally honest, really is NOT that rare. Not evena figure like Yak Face, that I'm ashamed to say how much I spent on but am still glad I have.

Really love the Target Retro figures, but people are already selling those on eBay and they're not even out yet... makes me wonder if they'll really be available at retail or if it's going to be a giant mess.
    I can relate to the cost aspect. I failed about 10 times to win auctions for Yoda canes. I wasn't going to pay over $30 for one. Ended up getting a cane, belt, and snake in 1 auction for $35. Relisted the snake and belt and got about $20 back

Here is what I have learned so far about the retro collection. The street date is 12-May. From talking to 3 different Targets about this, they were firm with me that they would not be coming out in their store before then. They are also register locked which means the ones you see on eBay were entered into the register as something else. All of this is grounds for being fired for breaking the street date. The one manager told me they had 12 of each. I'm going to call to confirm and might even stop at a Target the day before, and then be there before they open on Sunday. Im only in it for one set for myself. Hopefully, that plan works or else I wait for fall when other retailers have them online.
    Last edited by Myoldtoys; May 9, '19 at 8:33 AM.