X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures 20- My Star Wars Collection

I thought I'd do something different and talk about my Star Wars collection, most people I know are surprised I have any SW stuff and well, I have a lot of rules about collecting this stuff that I almost always follow. Do you have collecting rules you follow? Let's hear them in the comments section.For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Nice collection. It's super cool you have your original childhood 12.

The only SW collecting rule I have, now, is classic trilogy only. Nothing against the other movies. They're all good. There's just so many figures and ships for them it's impossible to collect. Though I did get a few figures from Solo. So I guess it's more of a guideline than an actual rule.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Treadwell
      Museum Super Collector
      • Dec 31, 2018

Nice episode as always!
      I'll probably whittle down my collection to my childhood 12 as well. I wish I'd kept that mailaway display stand.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Great video. I love the story of how you found your original figures. I dream of things like that, but it never happens.

I'm that one kid who missed out on the Star Wars movies in the theater. I did have Vader and then Bespin Luke, so I wasn't completely socially awkward!

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

I'm that one kid who missed out on the Star Wars movies in the theater. I did have Vader and then Bespin Luke, so I wasn't completely socially awkward!
          You bring up a good point there, the peer pressure. It seemed like every kid was into Star Wars in my schoolyard, so I fell in line despite having not seen the film. I found this especially competitive in the fifth and sixth grade when I started hanging around a couple of kids who GOT EVERYTHING. One guy had a paper route (and lots of cash), the other was super spoiled and really, really competitive. If you got a figure he didn't have, he'd have it the next day.

I think that's why I'm less interested in Empire Toys, it switched from playing to collecting and it wasn't quite the same.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

Great video. I love the story of how you found your original figures. I dream of things like that, but it never happens.

Chris
            It’s interesting that you missed out on the movies in the theaters, Chris. We’re the same age (and from the same area) and I saw all of them in theaters. Back then, they rereleased Star Wars, at least twice, prior to the release of ESB. Then, I saw ESB when new and ROTJ when it was released. Did you not go to movie theaters until later on or did your parents think you weren’t “ready” to see the Star Wars movies when you were very young?

- Ian
            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• EmergencyIan
              Museum Paramedic
              • Aug 31, 2005

Such a cool video, by the way. It’s fantastic that you have your original 12 Star Wars figures and are displaying them. They do look great. And, nothing can beat that for nostalgia.

I had a lot of it back then, but have none of it anymore, unfortunately.

I loved the 12” line, as well! I had three of the figures (Luke, Obi-Wan and Chewy). They all hold a special place in my heart. Kenner did a great job with those. I wish they would have expanded the line, but I understand why they didn’t.

I also had that storybook. I suppose many, many kids did.

- Ian

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

It wasn't a peer pressure or competition thing for me. I just really liked the stuff. The one friend I had, at the time, just wasn't into toys as much as I was. I remember she had the 12 inch Leia and Luke dolls and maybe a half dozen or so of the smaller figures. Now that I think about it, I think she was more into Trek than SW.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

You are very disciplined. I'm impressed your childhood figures have all their weapons and no torn capes. You were a good little kid with your toys.

Gotta draw the line and have rules with Star Wars. Nobody can get it all. I hate when my collection gets too big and overwhelms me. Then I start pruning it down.

But, as they say, rules are meant to be broken, hence your Popy Bespin Luke, which I have always wanted. Very nice.

Comment

• Wee67
                    Museum Correspondent
                    • Apr 2, 2002

I really respect how you restrict yourself to things you really like or had sentimental attachments to. I have trouble containing the collector in me always driving me to want the entire line.
                    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 15, 2012

Loved the episode. It reminds me why I come to this site (i'm not that into mego. Sorry). Lots of great people who share a common interest. Much less high-and-mighty or down right negative like others. Off the soap-box now...

I had around 35 of my original figures, and almost all with their parts. I stopped buying after the first wave of ESB figures. I switched to GI Joes in 1982. Maybe about 10 years ago, I started buying the ESB and ROTJ figures that I didn't have. Rules for that mission: Had to have the original accessories, and none of the last 17 figures due to cost. I started getting them via auctions, but found that I often got outbid. Then I started buying locally from 2 vintage stores. They helped me reach the goal of the first 77 figures. I'm trying to figure out best way to display them.

I found that my rules got bent after achieving my first SW quest. I bought quite a few of the Force Awakens 3.75 figures. They are packed and likely won't come back out. Just don't have the same feeling about them. I am going to try to get the retro collection figures that are coming out this Sunday. I won't ever pay for carded vintage figures. So hoping these will feel vintage enough to interest me. I would like to display them with my original 12 on my original mail-away display stand.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Myoldtoys
                        I am going to try to get the retro collection figures that are coming out this Sunday. I won't ever pay for carded vintage figures. So hoping these will feel vintage enough to interest me. I would like to display them with my original 12 on my original mail-away display stand.
                        Rebelscum has some really good pics of the retro figures. Other than Chewie being a hair shorter the figures look great. They look like the vintage figures except for, you know, being bright and minty.

A galaxy of information on Star Wars toys, action figures, statues, prop replicas, books, games, comics, miniatures, cards, and other collectibles. Rebelscum covers all the latest news from Hasbro, Hot Toys, JAKKS Pacific, Mattel, Sideshow Collectibles, Gentle Giant Ltd, EFX Collectibles, Kotobukiya, Topps, Marvel Comics, Thinkway Toys, LEGO and much more. Includes product reviews and descriptions, as well as detailed photo galleries of Star Wars related products from vintage to modern. The Rebelscum.com team works tirelessly to cover every aspect of Star Wars collecting in an effort to leave no fan behind.

Comment

• jimbutsu
                          Memory *is* RAM!
                          • Apr 11, 2002

I let go of my childhood collection and always really regretted it. Picked up the occasional piece here and there, starting with just the stuff I remembered/had an attachment to, but even as a little kid I wanted to collect them all (though I didn't know/care about variants), so in a way I have an attachment to the idea of getting a run of figures as well. Been on a bit of a tear recently as I've stumbled into a few opportunities to plug large holes in lots, but the cost is getting out of control for stuff that, to be brutally honest, really is NOT that rare. Not evena figure like Yak Face, that I'm ashamed to say how much I spent on but am still glad I have.

Really love the Target Retro figures, but people are already selling those on eBay and they're not even out yet... makes me wonder if they'll really be available at retail or if it's going to be a giant mess.
                          "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

It’s interesting that you missed out on the movies in the theaters, Chris. We’re the same age (and from the same area) and I saw all of them in theaters. Back then, they rereleased Star Wars, at least twice, prior to the release of ESB. Then, I saw ESB when new and ROTJ when it was released. Did you not go to movie theaters until later on or did your parents think you weren’t “ready” to see the Star Wars movies when you were very young?
                            My parents thought I was too young when the first one came out. I was only 2 and a half in the summer of 77. She did take me downtown to the premiere, to "meet' Darth Vader (who happened to be her boss in the costume), which is really odd, considering that was probably way more frightening than just watching the movie. Not sure if the film ever came back to our town, or why I didn't see the sequels in the theater either. I did have storybooks and book and record sets, though!

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                              Museum Paramedic
                              • Aug 31, 2005

My parents thought I was too young when the first one came out. I was only 2 and a half in the summer of 77. She did take me downtown to the premiere, to "meet' Darth Vader (who happened to be her boss in the costume), which is really odd, considering that was probably way more frightening than just watching the movie. Not sure if the film ever came back to our town, or why I didn't see the sequels in the theater either. I did have storybooks and book and record sets, though!

Chris
                              I understand, Chris. As I was writing my post yesterday, it occurred to me that your parents probably thought you were too young. Of course, at 2 1/2, you were. I remember seeing it in a theater in Evansville, but it was probably in 1978 and/or in 1979 (it seems like I saw Star Wars twice in the theater, prior to the 90s). Evansville was just big enough to have several movie theaters. If your area was smaller, they may have opted not to rerun rereleases of recent films. As you said, the irony in all of that is that they took you to meet Darth Vader. I think that meeting might have scared me, as well, especially at 2 1/2.

- Ian

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎