Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I've decided to pass on the Target retro figures, I was very tempted by the Tarkin and well, I think he'll be the one you'll be able to find but I don't need to open this door. I have no qualms about them existing or their quality but just don't want to go there.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
      I have no qualms about them existing or their quality but just don't want to go there.
      I am SO going there. Once these get wider distribution I'm going to army build me some minty white Stormtroopers.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

I like the idea of the new release of the vintage figures and the figures I’ve seen, in photographs, look good. However, the two things that give me pause are: 1) Will the quality of the plastic be the same as the originals? If not, I’m not interested. 2) If these don’t end up being readily available at retail, I’m out. I have no interest in paying above retail for reproductions.

- Ian
        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• jimbutsu
          Memory *is* RAM!
          • Apr 11, 2002

Supposedly they're going wider than Target exclusives after a while, so maybe that will help.

Also, considering how mediocre the materials quality was on the original releases, I have to think that "as good" isn't setting a terribly high bar...
          "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• Myoldtoys
            Veteran Member
            • May 15, 2012

Originally posted by jimbutsu
            but the cost is getting out of control for stuff that, to be brutally honest, really is NOT that rare. Not evena figure like Yak Face, that I'm ashamed to say how much I spent on but am still glad I have.

Really love the Target Retro figures, but people are already selling those on eBay and they're not even out yet... makes me wonder if they'll really be available at retail or if it's going to be a giant mess.
            I can relate to the cost aspect. I failed about 10 times to win auctions for Yoda canes. I wasn't going to pay over $30 for one. Ended up getting a cane, belt, and snake in 1 auction for $35. Relisted the snake and belt and got about $20 back

Here is what I have learned so far about the retro collection. The street date is 12-May. From talking to 3 different Targets about this, they were firm with me that they would not be coming out in their store before then. They are also register locked which means the ones you see on eBay were entered into the register as something else. All of this is grounds for being fired for breaking the street date. The one manager told me they had 12 of each. I'm going to call to confirm and might even stop at a Target the day before, and then be there before they open on Sunday. Im only in it for one set for myself. Hopefully, that plan works or else I wait for fall when other retailers have them online.
            Last edited by Myoldtoys; May 9, '19, 8:33 AM.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
              Museum Paramedic
              • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by jimbutsu
              Also, considering how mediocre the materials quality was on the original releases, I have to think that "as good" isn't setting a terribly high bar...
              That may be true, but the originals aren’t bad in terms of quality versus the plastics I’ve experienced with many new repro versions of vintage action figures. A lot of the plastic doesn’t feel solid/strong, sometimes seems flexible and it’s almost translucent.

- Ian

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                Veteran Member
                • May 15, 2012

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                That may be true, but the originals aren’t bad in terms of quality versus the plastics I’ve experienced with many new repro versions of vintage action figures. A lot of the plastic doesn’t feel solid/strong, sometimes seems flexible and it’s almost translucent.

- Ian
                The reviews so far have noted that the weapons don't stay in the retro figures hands. Either the design is off or the materials might be. Fair to say, they don't make things like they used to. The good news is that in most cases the retro figures won't be subjected to the kind of play the original ones were. Someone bought me a set of the 1995 reissue Luke, Vader, Han, and Chewie. These are not popular with collectors. I will say that they still look like new after 24 years. Have they fixed the issues with white plastic yellowing with exposure to UV? Because Luke's shirt from that set is still very white.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Myoldtoys
                  The reviews so far have noted that the weapons don't stay in the retro figures hands. Either the design is off or the materials might be. Fair to say, they don't make things like they used to. The good news is that in most cases the retro figures won't be subjected to the kind of play the original ones were. Someone bought me a set of the 1995 reissue Luke, Vader, Han, and Chewie. These are not popular with collectors. I will say that they still look like new after 24 years. Have they fixed the issues with white plastic yellowing with exposure to UV? Because Luke's shirt from that set is still very white.
                  Good info there. Thanks! Maybe the 1995 reissue figures are the way to go, if one doesn’t choose to go with loose vintage figures.

- Ian

Comment

• jimbutsu
                    Memory *is* RAM!
                    • Apr 11, 2002

Originally posted by Myoldtoys
                    Here is what I have learned so far about the retro collection. The street date is 12-May. From talking to 3 different Targets about this, they were firm with me that they would not be coming out in their store before then. They are also register locked which means the ones you see on eBay were entered into the register as something else. All of this is grounds for being fired for breaking the street date. The one manager told me they had 12 of each. I'm going to call to confirm and might even stop at a Target the day before, and then be there before they open on Sunday. Im only in it for one set for myself. Hopefully, that plan works or else I wait for fall when other retailers have them online.
                    This is what's so off-putting to me. 12 sets at most Targets, if it's something like that, is far from the scarcity that the scalpers will create when they buy it all out - consider also that there were online preorders as well. It's gross and puts me off collecting sometimes.

I heard about someone who found a figure locally here and tried to take it to the self-checkout and it wouodln't scan, so that at least is working as expected. I'm not even 100% convinced the cases that have made it out were entered into the register at all in some cases.

(Why do I care so much when I already have at least a couple of all these figures loose? I honestly don't know - I think it's the experience of pulling them off the card combined with having some figures I can leave laying around to fiddle with and not feel like I'm taking a risk)
                    Last edited by jimbutsu; May 8, '19, 9:15 PM.
                    "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

The retro figures are only a timed exclusive for Target and will get a wider release this fall. Which is good because the Target in my area generally doesn't stock too well.

The only issues I've seen in reviews of the figures is some Hans and Stormtroopers hold their weapons loosely. When I get figures like that I just hot water dunk them and squeeze the hand tighter. That usually does the trick. Other than that the quality is supposed to be the same as the originals. Except for maybe cleaner paint apps.
                      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                        Museum Paramedic
                        • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Werewolf
                        The retro figures are only a timed exclusive for Target and will get a wider release this fall. Which is good because the Target in my area generally doesn't stock too well.

The only issues I've seen in reviews of the figures is some Hans and Stormtroopers hold their weapons loosely. When I get figures like that I just hot water dunk them and squeeze the hand tighter. That usually does the trick. Other than that the quality is supposed to be the same as the originals. Except for maybe cleaner paint apps.
                        I’m still a bit open to these reissue figures, but one shouldn’t have to fix new toys. Unfortunately, that seems to be the rule today and not the exception.

- Ian

Comment

• tay666
                          Career Member
                          • Dec 27, 2008

Love your collection.
                          Those carded 12-backs looks sweet. I am really jealous of them.

I loved SW when I was a kid. And tried to collect as much as I could. Somewhere around Jedi is when I started loosing interest. Had a bunch of figures, some of my last purchases even stayed on the card. Lots of playsets that I kept the packaging for.
                          It was 2002 when I ditched the whole collection. I'd been carting it around and storing it for years. Kept thinking about getting back into it, but then I realized just how much was out there, and how expensive it was going to be. Decided if I couldn't finish it, I should get rid of it. Sold it all on ebay. Used the money to pay for my first trip to Wonderfest to feed the hobby that has outlasted all others so far (model building)
                          The only thing I have left is my card collection. I had a complete run of all the Topps cards from all 3 movies.
                          I sold off all my duplicates but held on to the collection.

Seeing those original 12 on that mail-away stand really brought back the nostalgia though.
                          If I were to ever add anything to display some day, it would be that. That display with all 12 loose figures.
                          Nice, compact, and so poignant.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎