Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy-Ventures 20- My Star Wars Collection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Plaid Stallions Toy-Ventures 20- My Star Wars Collection

I thought I'd do something different and talk about my Star Wars collection, most people I know are surprised I have any SW stuff and well, I have a lot of rules about collecting this stuff that I almost always follow. Do you have collecting rules you follow? Let's hear them in the comments section.For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...

Images
    Nice collection. It's super cool you have your original childhood 12.

The only SW collecting rule I have, now, is classic trilogy only. Nothing against the other movies. They're all good. There's just so many figures and ships for them it's impossible to collect. Though I did get a few figures from Solo. So I guess it's more of a guideline than an actual rule.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Nice episode as always!
    I'll probably whittle down my collection to my childhood 12 as well. I wish I'd kept that mailaway display stand.

Images
    Great video. I love the story of how you found your original figures. I dream of things like that, but it never happens.

I'm that one kid who missed out on the Star Wars movies in the theater. I did have Vader and then Bespin Luke, so I wasn't completely socially awkward!

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Earth 2 Chris View Post

I'm that one kid who missed out on the Star Wars movies in the theater. I did have Vader and then Bespin Luke, so I wasn't completely socially awkward!
    You bring up a good point there, the peer pressure. It seemed like every kid was into Star Wars in my schoolyard, so I fell in line despite having not seen the film. I found this especially competitive in the fifth and sixth grade when I started hanging around a couple of kids who GOT EVERYTHING. One guy had a paper route (and lots of cash), the other was super spoiled and really, really competitive. If you got a figure he didn't have, he'd have it the next day.

I think that's why I'm less interested in Empire Toys, it switched from playing to collecting and it wasn't quite the same.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Earth 2 Chris View Post
    Great video. I love the story of how you found your original figures. I dream of things like that, but it never happens.

Chris
    It’s interesting that you missed out on the movies in the theaters, Chris. We’re the same age (and from the same area) and I saw all of them in theaters. Back then, they rereleased Star Wars, at least twice, prior to the release of ESB. Then, I saw ESB when new and ROTJ when it was released. Did you not go to movie theaters until later on or did your parents think you weren’t “ready” to see the Star Wars movies when you were very young?

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Images
    Such a cool video, by the way. It’s fantastic that you have your original 12 Star Wars figures and are displaying them. They do look great. And, nothing can beat that for nostalgia.

I had a lot of it back then, but have none of it anymore, unfortunately.

I loved the 12” line, as well! I had three of the figures (Luke, Obi-Wan and Chewy). They all hold a special place in my heart. Kenner did a great job with those. I wish they would have expanded the line, but I understand why they didn’t.

I also had that storybook. I suppose many, many kids did.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Images
    It wasn't a peer pressure or competition thing for me. I just really liked the stuff. The one friend I had, at the time, just wasn't into toys as much as I was. I remember she had the 12 inch Leia and Luke dolls and maybe a half dozen or so of the smaller figures. Now that I think about it, I think she was more into Trek than SW.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

You are very disciplined. I'm impressed your childhood figures have all their weapons and no torn capes. You were a good little kid with your toys.

Gotta draw the line and have rules with Star Wars. Nobody can get it all. I hate when my collection gets too big and overwhelms me. Then I start pruning it down.

But, as they say, rules are meant to be broken, hence your Popy Bespin Luke, which I have always wanted. Very nice.
    PLEASE HELP ME WITH THESE CARDS:

Images
    I really respect how you restrict yourself to things you really like or had sentimental attachments to. I have trouble containing the collector in me always driving me to want the entire line.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.