Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kenner SW variants: big head, light sabers, Jawa capes, etc. Which did you have?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Hedji
    Seems to me, and this is purely anecdotal, that Kenner had a lot of quality control issues with missing accessories that should have been packed into the 12" boxes. My Darth Vader never came with his lightsaber, and I have heard other stories like yours.
    It was a disappointment that afternoon. Unfortunately, the larger regret is that we were never able to find another one, back then. I could have lived without his medal, but that summer afternoon, the fact that it was missing was a big deal to me. Regrets, but hindsight is 20/20.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Gorn Captain
      Invincible Ironing Man
      • Feb 28, 2008

Not a variation hunter, though I do have some by accident, all of them from back in the 70-80s.
      Wouldn't mind a vinyl Jawa, but I'd never pay big money for it, so that won't happen. I actually prefer the cloth cape. And every convention I go to has at least one for sale, so I honestly don't trust it anymore. I also recently heard that, back in the day, early collectors made a run of repro capes, so I have my doubts about the authenticity of all that are being offered now.
      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Ranger 3
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 25, 2007

I started with the early bird set so I had a DT Luke (yellow hair obviously)
        I had tall and later short Snaggletooth
        Small head Han (big head came later and it looked ridiculous to me)
        Cloth Jawa, but it aggravated me that it covered the cool detail
        Orange snake Yoda
        Yellow hair Luke Bespin

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
          It was a disappointment that afternoon. Unfortunately, the larger regret is that we were never able to find another one, back then. I could have lived without his medal, but that summer afternoon, the fact that it was missing was a big deal to me. Regrets, but hindsight is 20/20.

- Ian
          That sucks, and I probably would have been the same way when I was a kid, it really would have bugged me (even though I probably would have lost the medal myself in about a month!). Too bad you didn't know about Kenner's "We Really Do Care" program at the time, they would have hooked you up with a replacement medal.

I only had two large size SW figures when I was a kid, a Boba Fett and a Chewie, luckily they both came with all the accessories they were supposed to.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by cjefferys
            That sucks, and I probably would have been the same way when I was a kid, it really would have bugged me (even though I probably would have lost the medal myself in about a month!). Too bad you didn't know about Kenner's "We Really Do Care" program at the time, they would have hooked you up with a replacement medal.

I only had two large size SW figures when I was a kid, a Boba Fett and a Chewie, luckily they both came with all the accessories they were supposed to.
            I received three others that Christmas, (Chewbacca, Obi-Wan and Luke) and they all had their accessories, thank goodness. No, I wasn’t aware of the Kenner “We Really Do Care” program at that time as I was probably 5 years old. As it turns out, I guess my parents and grandparents weren’t either: Though it would have to be quick thinking since we returned him after I opened the box in the car while we were still in the parking lot.

I’m supposing that Han was the best selling figure from that line or maybe tied with Luke. That would help explain why he became so scarce. Conjecture on my part.

- Ian
            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• tay666
              Career Member
              • Dec 27, 2008

Originally posted by cjefferys
              I never even knew the DT lightsabers existed until I was an adult. The little illustration of them on the back of the 12 back cards always confused me as a kid.
              Ditto.

So, I obviously never had a DT saber for any of them.
              Cloth Jawa, only ever saw the vinyl in one of the xmas catalogs and didn't really know about it until years later.
              Always liked the cloth better, though it would have been cool to have one vinyl for the collection.
              Had both Snaggletooths. Got the blue one from my best friend years after we finished playing with figures, traded him something for that, and several black-light posters, and his black-light. (which I still use on Halloween to this day, with the original fluorescent bulb)
              Think I had both versions of Han. I used to get duplicates at holidays and birthdays because relatives knew I liked the figures, but never knew what I already had.
              Can't remember Luke's hair color.
              Had both versions of Yoda.

Comment

• VintageMike
                Permanent Member
                • Dec 16, 2004

Not many, even though I started very early. Cloth Jawa (multiples)Had a white-haired Ben Kenobi as opposed to grey. Pretty sure the ESB carded one I have now is grey. Had the short snaggletooth and acquired the blue one from a friend. Got big head Han and traded him for the small head version. Kind of regret that as it seems it was late enough my big head one had already been used enough that it's now one my few original (first movie figures) I don't own. Going into ESB I owned the first picture (irrelevant because I opened it), flesh neck Bespin Leia. My Hoth Rebel Soldiers seemed to have a few different color paint apps especially on the head strap.

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Back in those innocent, pre-internet days, there was plenty of schoolyard conversations and conjecture in my neighborhood regarding the change of Han's head and Jawa's cape. And when we first saw the Blue Snaggletooth in the Sears Wish Book, whoooooa!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎