Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kenner SW variants: big head, light sabers, Jawa capes, etc. Which did you have?

This brings up so many good images.

I loved my Hoth Han.

I remember the arm holes in vinyl capes being cut or stretched out.

I had a vinyl cape Jawa, later a cloth robe.

Yellow Hair Luke. Now that I think of it I could have used his head for a General Custer, Ha!, Ha! (too many Westerns)

I think Orange Snake Yoda. Yoda was one of the best figures! Used to pretend his belt lamp was a Lightsaber.

Had good ole Hammer Head and Walrus Man. I never connected Walrus Man was the one who, spoilers, gets his arm chopped off.

Had Obi-wan Ben Kenobi, really liked that one too.

Cloud Car Pilot was unusual, and now I could use his bent arm to make it look like he's eating a hot dog on Independence Day.

Han Solo was just Han to me, can't remember the head for sure.

Hasbro lost the technology of having the seat elevate out of the TIE Fighter. To have a figure pop out of a hatch is one of the best things in life.

Star Wars inspired me to put the Indiana Jones Cairo Swordsman robe on my G.I. Joe (first sword version) Snake-Eyes. I thought it looked cool!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klosterheim View Post
    This brings up so many good images.
    It was a fun time for me too. SW was the first line I really heavily collected and tried to get all the figures.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

I never even knew the DT lightsabers existed until I was an adult. The little illustration of them on the back of the 12 back cards always confused me as a kid.

My first Han was a small head version and first Jawa was a vinyl cape version. That's why those ones seem more "correct" to me. I'm putting together a collection of the first 21 figures and made sure to get a small head Han, which was easy enough, but a genuine vinyl caped Jawa will be much trickier (and expensive) for me to obtain.

Images
    I've still only seen the vinyl cape Jawa in pictures and I think if I had seen that vinyl cape Jawa parade in the Woman's Day magazine, as a child, it would have blown my mind.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Blog Entries
    I remember seeing a peg of vinyl caped Jawa as a kid and thinking it looked cheap, I prefer a cloth on my Jawa thank you.

It was the Kenner pack in catalogues that confused me too. I don't think at age 6 you have any mental capacity to understand toy production and the meaning of prototypes.

So, seeing the vinyl caped Jawa in the catalogue just made my head explode. And I would always want the version I didn't have because it was different.

Here's an image of the Cantina playset from an early Kenner catalogue.

Aside from Blue Snaggletooth making me crazed, I just could not wrap my brain around the murky image of Walrus Man that showed a decidedly darker paint job than the day-glow orange and blue masterpiece.

It was only years later that I realized he was only one amazing prototype from that wave, seen much better in this German Kenner catalogue:

This is the stuff I dream of. Look at the Gigantics Deadly Mantis model kit head on Death Star Droid! Look at the Adventure People X-Wing Pilot! Look at the light blue Power Droid and the head different head shape for R5-D4! When you can stand around and make Blue Snaggletooth look plain by comparison, you know you've got that magic.

And speaking of prototypes (and Adventure People), I'd be remiss not to bring out the legendary first prototype mockups made to get the line off the ground.

Last edited by Hedji; May 7, '19 at 1:50 PM.
    SELL ME YOUR LOOSE MINTY WONDER WOMAN!

Images
    ^ I love Adventure People, but they never looked as chunky as they do here! In that second photograph, it appears that Kenner has finished R2D2.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Images
    Those Adventure People mock ups are pretty wild. Isn't Threepio an AP diver?

Quote Originally Posted by Hedji View Post
    I had the Droid Factory on the left page here and it was an absolute highlight of my youth.

Me too. The Droid Factory was LEGO Star Wars before LEGO Star Wars. Incredible play value, not to mention the only way to get three legged Artoo.
    SELL ME YOUR LOOSE MINTY WONDER WOMAN!