Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kenner SW variants: big head, light sabers, Jawa capes, etc. Which did you have?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Kenner SW variants: big head, light sabers, Jawa capes, etc. Which did you have?

Which did you have and which versions are your favorites?

Never had any of the telescoping light sabers.
    Blonde Luke farm boy and Bespin. To this day the brown haired versions don't look right to me.
    Cloth cape Jawa. But I think the vinyl cape actually looks cooler. Shows off more of the sculpt and mixes in better with the rest of the first series figures.
    Small head Han.
    Orange snake Yoda. Both versions are adorbs but I still prefer the orange snake version.
    Short Snaggletooth
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

Still have my vinyl cape Jawa from when I was a kid. Also have small head Han (much prefer it over the big head version) and orange snake Yoda (later on I also picked up brown snake Yoda)...
    I also have a few figures with minor paint app variations and accessory variants.
    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

Imagine the sibling jealousy that my older brother got a Telescoping Saber Luke and I got the short stubby one. It haunts me.

Also, my brother had small head Han, I had big head Han. My brother must've been better behaved or something.

Cloth Jawas for my family. Although we all pined for them after seeing the photo in the Woman's Day magazine for the DIY playset:

All my Lukes were blonde. I agree, the brown is too brown. Although, I'd love to have one if I could find one cheap. Luke was always blonde to me, and the yellow just works. Bespin Luke happens to be my favorite figure from the line. I think it's because he came with a full lightsaber you could remove. Still yellow, but hey.

There are some other paint variants on Hoth Rebel Soldiers that are pretty minor.

And is it bad that I can't remember if my Bespin Leia has the painted neck or non painted neck? I'd have to go downstairs and look.

Orange snake Yoda's in our family. It's so loud and bright and toy like. I love it.

I once traded some stuff for a friend's Blue Snaggletooth because it made my mind explode. He rethought it and we traded back. I ended up buying one decades later for about a hundred bucks. Oh well, it's minty.

My Lando had no painted teeth. I have both variants today. I like it because it shows, as the DK Visual Dictionary calls it, Lando's "Winning Smile"

There's a really nifty variant of Jedi Luke. He has a painted face instead of molded flesh colored plastic. AND he has a blue lightsaber as seen in the ROTJ trailer, instead of the green lightsaber. I picked up a card fresh one a few years ago and he's one of my favorites.

Nobody gets excited about the Bespin Security Guard, but I do. He comes in a couple of moustache variants... regular 70s 'stache, and a Fu Manchu mustache. I have both. Fun figure, and an underrated costume design.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

I had the telescopic light saber figures. I don’t recall the stubby light saber versions of the Star Wars figures.

I had the blonde farm boy Luke, but the brown haired Bespin Luke.

My Jawa had a cloth cape, but I played with one that had the vinyl cape. I recall a friend had one. We didn’t think anything of variants back then.

Small head Han.

My Yoda had the orange snake.

I had the short Snaggletooth.

- Ian
        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

I misremembered my Jedi Luke. The head variant is still molded yellow plastic, but the paint color is much more pink hued. But the lightsaber difference is cool.

There are lots of painted vs molded colored limbs like this Rebel soldier.

On the left, the legs are molded white, boots and coat painted brown. On the left, it's the reverse.. Legs are molded brown, white paint for the pants.

There are Han Solo figures where the legs are molded white and painted over black, believe it or not. I actually believe I have one of those, because a small scuff on the back of his boots shows molded white plastic beneath.

I'm getting a bit esoteric.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

For a long time, when I was a little kid, I thought that Rebel Soldier was another Luke figure. I wasn’t so smart. I’m also the same guy who looked in vain for an X-Wing Fighter Luke with blonde/brown hair, not realizing the black was his visor and not hair sticking out of his helmet.

By the way, I had the Bespin guard with the Fu-Manchu mustache. I never knew there was more than one version.

- Ian

Comment

• drquest
              ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
              • Apr 17, 2012

Telescoping light sabers: not as a kid but adult collector, had several
              Luke hair: Had blonde Lukes as a kid
              Jawa cape: Had cloth caped Jawas as a kid
              Han head size: Had large head Han as a kid
              Yoda snake: Had orange snake Yoda, as a kid
              Snaggletooth type: had the tall Blue Snaggletooth, and remembered thinking it was special on the playground when everyone else had their runty red Snaggletooths out.
              Danny(Drquest)
              Captain Action HQ
              Retro shirts and stuff
              More retro shirts
              Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                For a long time, when I was a little kid, I thought that Rebel Soldier was another Luke figure. I wasn’t so smart. I’m also the same guy who looked in vain for an X-Wing Fighter Luke with blonde/brown hair, not realizing the black was his visor and not hair sticking out of his helmet.
                You're not alone, Ian! I also thought the black goggles were the hair on the X-Wing pilot. And the Hoth Rebel basically was Hoth Luke in my playing until the later wave made an official one.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Hedji
                  You're not alone, Ian! I also thought the black goggles were the hair on the X-Wing pilot. And the Hoth Rebel basically was Hoth Luke in my playing until the later wave made an official one.
                  Yeah, I always thought the Hoth Rebel was Luke and always played with him as such. He was always with Hoth Han, the Tauntaun, the AT-AT and some ESB ice playset that I had.

- Ian

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji
                    I misremembered my Jedi Luke. The head variant is still molded yellow plastic, but the paint color is much more pink hued. But the lightsaber difference is cool.
                    You were right, there is a painted hair variant. As well as a stitched robe and snap robe variants. Mine is the green light saber with painted tan face.

I also used Hoth Rebel Soldier as Luke until the official one came out. Another thing we all probably did was use the loop on Han Hoth as a holster.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Klosterheim
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 23, 2013

This brings up so many good images.

I loved my Hoth Han.

I remember the arm holes in vinyl capes being cut or stretched out.

I had a vinyl cape Jawa, later a cloth robe.

Yellow Hair Luke. Now that I think of it I could have used his head for a General Custer, Ha!, Ha! (too many Westerns)

I think Orange Snake Yoda. Yoda was one of the best figures! Used to pretend his belt lamp was a Lightsaber.

Had good ole Hammer Head and Walrus Man. I never connected Walrus Man was the one who, spoilers, gets his arm chopped off.

Had Obi-wan Ben Kenobi, really liked that one too.

Cloud Car Pilot was unusual, and now I could use his bent arm to make it look like he's eating a hot dog on Independence Day.

Han Solo was just Han to me, can't remember the head for sure.

Hasbro lost the technology of having the seat elevate out of the TIE Fighter. To have a figure pop out of a hatch is one of the best things in life.

Star Wars inspired me to put the Indiana Jones Cairo Swordsman robe on my G.I. Joe (first sword version) Snake-Eyes. I thought it looked cool!

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Klosterheim
                        This brings up so many good images.
                        It was a fun time for me too. SW was the first line I really heavily collected and tried to get all the figures.

Comment

• cjefferys
                          Duke of Gloat
                          • Apr 23, 2006

I never even knew the DT lightsabers existed until I was an adult. The little illustration of them on the back of the 12 back cards always confused me as a kid.

My first Han was a small head version and first Jawa was a vinyl cape version. That's why those ones seem more "correct" to me. I'm putting together a collection of the first 21 figures and made sure to get a small head Han, which was easy enough, but a genuine vinyl caped Jawa will be much trickier (and expensive) for me to obtain.

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

I've still only seen the vinyl cape Jawa in pictures and I think if I had seen that vinyl cape Jawa parade in the Woman's Day magazine, as a child, it would have blown my mind.

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

I remember seeing a peg of vinyl caped Jawa as a kid and thinking it looked cheap, I prefer a cloth on my Jawa thank you.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎