Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Booster
    • Apr 29, 2018

Manglor Mountain Review

Professor Beastly hosts a review of Manglor Mountain from the ill-fated Manglors line. https://youtu.be/Z9GkOUC37oU
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

That was very enlightening. I knew if this line as I had seen it at stores back in the early 80s and after. Beyond that I had no experience with them or knew the lines back story. Kids were encouraged to tear them apart because the parts were supposed to reattach, but didn’t? Ouch! That’s not good. Three and a half decades later, those, untouched, figures don’t appear to have held up well either.

As you said, the package art is very well done and inviting. It’s also a fun concept. Too bad it wasn’t well executed.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Booster
      • Apr 29, 2018

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
      That was very enlightening. I knew if this line as I had seen it at stores back in the early 80s and after. Beyond that I had no experience with them or knew the lines back story. Kids were encouraged to tear them apart because the parts were supposed to reattach, but didn’t? Ouch! That’s not good. Three and a half decades later, those, untouched, figures don’t appear to have held up well either.

As you said, the package art is very well done and inviting. It’s also a fun concept. Too bad it wasn’t well executed.

- Ian
      I think they could have spared themselves a lot of problems, if they hadn't made them out of sorbothane and had just made them in plastic with modular interchangeable body parts.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

^ Absolutely!

- Ian
        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

The biggest problem i saw with these figures was that kids just needed to see for themselves. We got our Toys R Us in 1984, I remember seeing them on the shelves on opening day. Within a week they were mostly destroyed as kids broke through the packaging to "test" the claims of the figures. Returns must have been high on this line.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

The one toy line my mom flat refused to buy me. She knew the gimmick was a total scam. Turns out she was right...as she almost always was!

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Member Tim Baron has done a fantastic homage painting of Manglord. I'd like a Mego version!
              Last edited by PNGwynne; May 1, '19, 4:14 PM.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Booster
                • Apr 29, 2018

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                Member Tim Baron has done a fantastic homage painting of Manglord. I'd like a Mego version!
                Wasn't the packaging art on the original Manglors done by the same artist that painted the card art for the Micronaut aliens?

Comment

• Ninersphan1
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 27, 2009

Originally posted by Booster
                  Wasn't the packaging art on the original Manglors done by the same artist that painted the card art for the Micronaut aliens?
                  Yup,

Ken Kelly

Comment

• acrovader
                    Career Member
                    • Jan 19, 2011

I had that winged creature. To call these action figures is a joke. There really isn't much play in these at all and I got bored fast (although, I just had one of the, uh, 'figures'). I was somewhat interested in the Manglor Mountain but it looked boring. I remember seeing the Manglor Mountain playsets heavily discounted at Kay-Bee, many of which looked like they were returned and taped back up for a cheap, fast sale.
                    I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎