Thread: Manglor Mountain Review

Manglor Mountain Review

Professor Beastly hosts a review of Manglor Mountain from the ill-fated Manglors line. https://youtu.be/Z9GkOUC37oU

Images
    That was very enlightening. I knew if this line as I had seen it at stores back in the early 80s and after. Beyond that I had no experience with them or knew the lines back story. Kids were encouraged to tear them apart because the parts were supposed to reattach, but didn’t? Ouch! That’s not good. Three and a half decades later, those, untouched, figures don’t appear to have held up well either.

As you said, the package art is very well done and inviting. It’s also a fun concept. Too bad it wasn’t well executed.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Quote Originally Posted by EmergencyIan View Post
    That was very enlightening. I knew if this line as I had seen it at stores back in the early 80s and after. Beyond that I had no experience with them or knew the lines back story. Kids were encouraged to tear them apart because the parts were supposed to reattach, but didnít? Ouch! Thatís not good. Three and a half decades later, those, untouched, figures donít appear to have held up well either.

As you said, the package art is very well done and inviting. Itís also a fun concept. Too bad it wasnít well executed.

- Ian
    I think they could have spared themselves a lot of problems, if they hadn't made them out of sorbothane and had just made them in plastic with modular interchangeable body parts.

Images
    ^ Absolutely!

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Blog Entries
    The biggest problem i saw with these figures was that kids just needed to see for themselves. We got our Toys R Us in 1984, I remember seeing them on the shelves on opening day. Within a week they were mostly destroyed as kids broke through the packaging to "test" the claims of the figures. Returns must have been high on this line.

Images
    The one toy line my mom flat refused to buy me. She knew the gimmick was a total scam. Turns out she was right...as she almost always was!

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Images
    Blog Entries
    Member Tim Baron has done a fantastic homage painting of Manglord. I'd like a Mego version!
    Last edited by PNGwynne; May 1, '19 at 4:14 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top mirrored portion or mirror sticker; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors, walls, bar; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by PNGwynne View Post
    Member Tim Baron has done a fantastic homage painting of Manglord. I'd like a Mego version!
    Wasn't the packaging art on the original Manglors done by the same artist that painted the card art for the Micronaut aliens?

Quote Originally Posted by Booster View Post
    Wasn't the packaging art on the original Manglors done by the same artist that painted the card art for the Micronaut aliens?
    Yup,

Ken Kelly

I had that winged creature. To call these action figures is a joke. There really isn't much play in these at all and I got bored fast (although, I just had one of the, uh, 'figures'). I was somewhat interested in the Manglor Mountain but it looked boring. I remember seeing the Manglor Mountain playsets heavily discounted at Kay-Bee, many of which looked like they were returned and taped back up for a cheap, fast sale.
    I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.