X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zeedox
    Career Member
    • Aug 10, 2007

Let's Talk Shatner mego

I know the mold has been affected etc. Please can some officially say what happened to Kirk? I mean this is a figure that keeps getting made over and over again.
    We even got a Batman replacement head. Please, I truly plead as someone who buys most of the stuff as soon as it comes out why do my new Kirks look so bad?

And while I am at it we have a Twilight Zone Shatner made from the Biff Bang Pow people who also made trek people. I think Kirk is a serious issue, maybe one of the
    most important topics ever for a site like this if you think about it. I mean its Mego, its Kirk!
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

When did BBP make Trek?
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Bat
      Batman Fanatic
      • Jul 14, 2002

Yeah, it really bums me out as well. The original Mego is probably my favorite Mego head sculpt and one of Mego's BEST! So every time new Mego releases a new variant costume...I head off to eBay to find a cheap original, with minimal paint ware. It also means I'm forced to open them. But...on the bright side, I couldn't put together a custom this cheaply.
      sigpic

Comment

• comicmike
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 22, 2009

My main observation has been even minus the top of the squarer top of the head and the dented eyes at the nose bridge, the challenging comparison has been the factory's current pale skin and the eye-&-eyebrow paint job

I guessed if I were to remove 2018 Captain Kirk's eyebrows, dye his paler head with tan Ritt (as well as his hands), repaint his eyes & eyebrows to look like the classic Mego, he'd look improved. I just finished the customized Kirk that I had envisioned. The new eye paint definitely camouflaged the deeply inset eyes from

Last edited by comicmike; Apr 30, '19, 8:01 PM.

Comment

• Mego Magyar
          Permanent Member
          • Jan 17, 2011

Originally posted by thunderbolt
          When did BBP make Trek?
          BBP didn't do Trek but did a Shatner with clothes based on his two appearancs

Comment

• Mego Newbie14
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 25, 2018

Not having a Kirk from Mego's original run I liked the new ones cause they were my first. But after seeing Mike's comparison picture,Wow! Shows how much better the older ones are.

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
              Persistent Member
              • Jun 22, 2011

The Kirk head is the most discouraging thing for me about new Mego. I leave my figures MOC and will never open them and modify them. The green shirt Kirk is my favorite new Mego so far but the paint apps on mine are terrible. The issues with this head sculpt have been mentioned several times. I'm surprised Mego continues to use it without correcting it.

Comment

• tllgn
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 6, 2010

the classic mego kirk is the best and the emce one is also very good ,however the emce mirror kirk with painted head is not as well done ,the new mego kirks heads looked like he was affected by some space anomaly.
                they should have corrected that before they went in to production if Emce could do a nice kirk (the first one) then mego could also.i like all the new kirks and will get the next on too ,the hair color
                is like from the animated series .i guess it depends on the factory they use in china .

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Mego Magyar
                  BBP didn't do Trek but did a Shatner with clothes based on his two appearancs
                  I know that, the OP said that they made Trek People. The closest they got were the Big Bang poser Trek people.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• VulcanFanatic
                    Banned
                    • Jan 24, 2009

I agree 100%. The original is so much more superior! Even the Original Spock head sculpt is much better than the new one. As ecstatic as I am to get new Mego's, I am disappointed that the quality of some of the figures is sadly lacking. I mentioned the phaser belt lacking the ability to hold the phaser and the shirt collars looking awful in another topic here and I hope Mego will concentrate on quality going forward and not just go for a quick cash grab with subpar figures.

Comment

• JediJaida
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 14, 2008

I only bought the Mirror set of Kirk and Spock, but I have to agree as to the color and paint apps. Kirk looks unnaturally pale, and the eyebrows are wonky. Spock is also too pale.
                      JediJaida

Comment

• DavidCoppola
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 3, 2009

Not a big deal with me.

Comment

• zeedox
                          Career Member
                          • Aug 10, 2007

To be honest it just makes it easier for me to pass on figures like the Romulan with Red Pants.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Kirk doesn't influence me at all regarding Romulans, particularly since most of these figure facilitate customs.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• phil
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 11, 2007

The heads don't bother me as much as the problems with the shirt collars and rank braids. The phasers not fitting properly on the belts is also annoying. I like that Spock looks paler because I always thought the original figure was too dark.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎