X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy Ventures 19: Space Sword & Space Shield

Ok let me address the fact that for some reason I keep saying "Star Sword" despite what's on the label but please don't let that mar my celebration of two of my favourite childhood toys, Space Sword and Space Shield! These glow in the dark Star Wars inspired toys were the source of hours and hours of backyard play for me in the late 1970s and I actually like them better than officially licensed toys. So join me on another Toy-Venture in a galaxy far, far away. If you like this video please subscribe for more goodness ever week!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwYta3nz_7FAzPvP8FPSgpgFor more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Great video! Man, I wish I had seen this toy as a kid. The sheer size and heft of that shield looks incredible. Great job spotlighting it, too!

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
      Museum Paramedic
      • Aug 31, 2005

Fun!

I owned the Space Sword and had many hours of fun with it over several years. Unfortunately, I never saw the shield or the helmet.

- Ian
      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

It seems like a lot of people mention that, I guess the sword got the widest distribution.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          Great job spotlighting it, too!
          Thanks, it's size was so impractical for my little rig that i had to make a rare on-camera appearance.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

^ I noted that, as well. It was a nice touch. Lol

- Ian

Comment

• EmergencyIan
              Museum Paramedic
              • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
              It seems like a lot of people mention that, I guess the sword got the widest distribution.
              And, as you mentioned, they must have sold well, because I can recall them reappearing at stores like K-Mart a year or so after I received mine.

- Ian

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

I feel kind of left out. I never had one or recall even seeing them in stores.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                  HULK SMASH!
                  • Apr 3, 2010

I remember seeing the sword and shield in stores many, many times. Always thought they were cool, but never owned one.
                  PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

Great video. I remember these being all over the place back in the day.

As a kid, I appreciated the Kenner lightsaber had light up action... even if it was the unholy love child of a flashlight and a beach ball. I remember the Laser Sword seeming like a cheap knockoff (which, of course, it was). I also would have hated that Space Shield has its name written on it. Of course, I find that all part of the charm of the toys now...

Comment

• Confessional
                      Maker & Whatnot
                      • Aug 8, 2012

Fun!, I beat my cousins down many times with that glorious sword; often deservedly so too! It survived my childhood adventures and went to Goodwill where it surely found the hands of another young Jedi to wield its power.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                        Museum Paramedic
                        • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by sprytel
                        Great video. I remember these being all over the place back in the day.

As a kid, I appreciated the Kenner lightsaber had light up action... even if it was the unholy love child of a flashlight and a beach ball. I remember the Laser Sword seeming like a cheap knockoff (which, of course, it was). I also would have hated that Space Shield has its name written on it. Of course, I find that all part of the charm of the toys now...
                        As a quick aside, the Kenner Light Saber that I had in the 70s/early 80s was the one they sold in bins...it was one of the long ones that made a light saber-y noise when you swung it. I thought it was really cool. However, it’s length made it cumbersome. The Space Sword was much more portable.

- Ian

Comment

• Treadwell
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Dec 31, 2018

I remember them, but don't recall if any friends had them or I just saw them in stores.

One friend and I had different knockoffs of the converted 2-D-cell flashlight variety, with long plastic milky-white tubes attached. They worked pretty well, especially in a dark room. His light was green, which I thought was weird for a light saber color in those pre-ROTJ years. His had a rounded cap on the end, mine was squared off.

Comment

• tay666
                            Career Member
                            • Dec 27, 2008

I never saw that sword or shield. I would have remembered. I have always been a sucker for glow-in-the-dark anything.

Treadwell - I had that same knock-off lightsaber. Long plastic tube on the end of a flashlight.
                            My sister and I each got one, I think mine was red, and hers was green.
                            They worked pretty good for a while, but then they started to suffer the same problem as wrapping paper tubes.
                            They would get dented and bend when they hit thing (or people) :D

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎