Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

I rewatched Dark Knight recently and the wheels really fall off after the Joker's defeat. Two Face's demise is really poorly planned and he should have been better utilized. Bane in Rises is laughable at best, the entire storyline is just off. I don't find them rewatchable for the most part. Guardians, Ant-Man, Ragnarok, Dr. Strange, First Avenger, Iron Man 1 and 2, Avengers on the other hand I can go back to rewatch and enjoy. Wonder Woman falls into that category, too, from the DC side. Heck even JL is more bearable than most of the Dark Knight trilogy.
    Last edited by thunderbolt; Apr 29, '19, 4:03 AM.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
      Often invisible
      • Jul 18, 2002

I prefer the Marvel movies. I can’t sit thru Nolan’s trilogy.
      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Infinity War and Endgame have proven that something once only possible to pull off in comics, the epic, world-shattering, cosmic, super-hero gathering event, CAN be pulled off on screen. That they executed it so well, with a great blend of humor, drama, pathos and action is nothing short of amazing.

The Nolan trilogy, as much as I love it (again, especially the first two) is a crime drama story which evolves into an urban warfare treatise with a few sparse elements of the previous Batman films and of course lifts from Batman comics throughout the decades.

It's honestly like comparing apples to staplers. Other than the original media interpretation, they couldn't be more different. Variety is the spice of life, and ultimately they are both very, VERY good.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

None of the MCU movies come close to Nolan's Dark knight series...
          ...because the MCU is so much better.

Comment

• Wee67
            Museum Correspondent
            • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            It's honestly like comparing apples to staplers. Other than the original media interpretation, they couldn't be more different. Variety is the spice of life, and ultimately they are both very, VERY good
            I think is a very good point. Aside from being a big superhero fan, I'm a huge movie fan. I think they are both very well done for what they each are.

Perhaps some are just more drawn to the idea that superhero movies should be BIG action movies with great characters and lots of humor. These are some of the reasons I love the MCU. Others might enjoy a deeper examination of the psyche that drives good and evil and the thin line that separates them. Frank Miller did a great job drawing a parallel between Batman and Joker that made for a smart, engaging story. I think Nolan did a wonderful job exploring those same themes. Its why I loved The Dark Knight.

As a superhero fan, I LOVE the MCU. The Marvel makes great movies. Nolan made some great films. As a film fan, I think The Dark Knight should've won the Oscar for best picture that year.
            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
              I prefer the Marvel movies. I can’t sit thru Nolan’s trilogy.
              Agree. Hey, everyone has different tastes. I didn't find the Nolan films that enjoyable (except maybe for the second one) and have no real desire to sit through them again. The MCU movies on the other hand are very enjoyable and rewatchable for me.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Love the Dark Knight with Heath Ledger. Great film. Seen it several times. Will continue to watch it again and again through the years. Batman Begins was good too, but not as great as Dark Knight. Dark Night Rises was totally unnecessary. Bane’s voice is even more unintelligible than Batman’s.

Love the first Iron Man. Second one is okay. Iron Man 3 is the worst superhero movie of all times.

Was not crazy about Civil War. I mean, it felt small, the entire so-called war happens in a friggin airport, and nothing happened, lol.

Love the first Captain America. Winter Soldier is even better.

...and so on...

But the one that reigns supreme even over Dark Knight is Guardians of the Galaxy...it has replaced Star Wars as my go to awesome sci-fi/superhero movie...love both flicks...best Marvel movies for me.
                sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

...and since we are being super opinionated here...Aquaman is vastly overrated. Wonder Woman is way better.

To me, Aquaman was a cross between Avatar and Little Nemo...

sigpic

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

The Nolan trilogy was trying to do something very different than the MCU. I can appreciate them both on their own merits.

I really don't understand this mentality that in order for the one to be good, the other has to be bad. That always frustrated me with "geek discussions" like Star Wars vs. Star Trek...

Comment

• Brue
                      User without title
                      • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by sprytel

I really don't understand this mentality that in order for the one to be good, the other has to be bad. That always frustrated me with "geek discussions" like Star Wars vs. Star Trek...
                      I do,t think anyone said (or thinks) that.

Comment

• Brazoo
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 14, 2009

A lot of people were more impressed with those Nolan Batmans than I was, and I liked the first two quite a bit. Gun to my head I can think of a few superhero movies that I thought were better crafted movies than The Dark Knight — which I considered the best of the three but hardly flawless. It's all just personal taste, no?

I agree with sprytel — this preoccupation with ranking things in terms of merit seems pointless to me. All these "All the MCU films ranked" lists are a big snooze to me. Enjoy what you like, right?

Comment

• megomania
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jan 2, 2010

Originally posted by Hector
                          Love the Dark Knight with Heath Ledger. Great film. Seen it several times. Will continue to watch it again and again through the years. Batman Begins was good too, but not as great as Dark Knight. Dark Night Rises was totally unnecessary. Bane’s voice is even more unintelligible than Batman’s.

Love the first Iron Man. Second one is okay. Iron Man 3 is the worst superhero movie of all times.
                          You obviously haven't seen Aquaman yet!

-Chris

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

^A lot of people enjoyed Aquaman. It made over a billion dollars, so obviously some folks (myself included) liked it.

On the other hand, Iron Man 3 made a ton of money too...but its probably my least favorite MCU movie (yes, over Thor: The Dark World), mostly because of them nerfing the Mandarin the way they did. My son HATED that, so that fueled my own feelings about it. I do need to give it a rewatch though.
                            sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by megomania
                              You obviously haven't seen Aquaman yet!

-Chris
                              Yes, we have.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• cjefferys
                                Duke of Gloat
                                • Apr 23, 2006

I loved Aquaman, which is far more than I can say about most DC films.

I agree that Iron Man 3 was weak. I think the GOTG films are my favorite MCU movies by far, pure eye candy and pure fun. I hope that as the next stage of the MCU gets more "cosmic", we will see more films like this. Bring on Adam Warlock!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎