X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

none of the MCU movies come close to Nolan's Dark knight series

Sure, Guardians of the Galaxy was very good and my favorite marvel movie, but that whole universe is pure cringe, especially the Avengers.

They found a way to make box office record breaking films, good for them, but aside from that, they don't come close to the art that nolan's dark knight films were. everything, cinematography, plot, directing, actors, etc.
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I don't agree. None of those films is particularly rewatchable, even with Ledger's noteworthy performance. The third installment was dreck.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Apr 27, '19, 7:50 PM. Reason: spelling
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• drquest
      ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
      • Apr 17, 2012

The first two Nolan Batman movies were fine, third one was a train wreck.

A lot has been written about the formulaic Marvel movies over the years. It's formulaic because they defined and refined the superhero movies. I'm still amazed we have such an even playing field with superhero's residing on earth, and all of the cosmic and quantum realms that have been presented to us. It opens up so much for the future movies and the audiences are embracing it.

The MCU is my happy place, and has been for several years now at the movies.
      Danny(Drquest)
      Captain Action HQ
      Retro shirts and stuff
      More retro shirts
      Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Brue
        User without title
        • Sep 29, 2005

I Echo the thoughts of all of the responses so far. The first two were good movies. The third one was terrible. I have gone back and re-watched all three. The first was not nearly as entertaining the second time around. The second was a good re-watch. The third was even worse than I remembered it. Marvel movies have given us 22 film so far. At least three of those maybe five are as good or better than the (first 2) Nolan Batmans. All of the MCU films work better than the third Nolan Murphy. Even Iron Man 3 was better oh, and it was a bad movie.

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

Hey, it's your opinion that matters, not anyone else's. I've learned that unpopular opinions on the internet, no matter how articulately stated, no matter how loudly yelled, won't change anyone else's mind. At best, you might find someone who agrees with you.

So enjoy what YOU like.

But now you know how I feel when I yammer about how great the Phantom Menace is.

Comment

• WannabeMego
            Made in the USA
            • May 2, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji
            Hey, it's your opinion that matters, not anyone else's. I've learned that unpopular opinions on the internet, no matter how articulately stated, no matter how loudly yelled, won't change anyone else's mind. At best, you might find someone who agrees with you.

So enjoy what YOU like.
            Perfectly Said & I agree 100%...unless the post was meant to entice a reaction...then you get what you asked for.
            Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

That's true--it's an opinionated thread receiving opinionated replies, all fairly brief. It's certainly not personal. And I've been here long enough to recall many members liking the DK trilogy. I'm a Batman fan and was not one of them--but I think many MCU movies are mediocre, too.

I liked GOTG, Ant-Man, and a few others. I loved the first Cap movie. My personal criterion of "success"--aside from specific artistic qualities which inform it--is, am I willing to purchase it on home video and rewatch it?
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                Talkative Member
                • May 11, 2013

I did not like the Nolan Batman run do to the fact that Nolan said he did not like the Batman mythos and wanted to avoid most of the comic book stuff. There were some other stuff he said that just got me madder. From what it boiled down to he should have done pulp style characters instead of comic book characters.
                Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I love the first two Nolan films, but they gradually become decidingly NON Batman films. Nolan was a bit ashamed of the source material. The MCU films are NOT. These are comic books brought to life. And since they are adapting that source material, are ultimately more successful.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

More importantly, my dad can beat up your dad.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

agree with most of the responses. I liked the DK trilogy but don't really have any interest in rewatching any of them, even though I do have them on disc. I have watched and rewatched most of the MCU movies many times and still enjoy them. to me, there are really only a few MCU movies that are not really re-watchable....IM3, Black Panther and maybe Thor the Dark world

Comment

• hedrap
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 10, 2009

It really comes down to the core of each. Marvel is high drama. That's what Stan was after, that's what everything was built on, so that's what works. When Marvel deviates from it, you get dreck like Ang Lee Hulk or Trank FF. For as much as the Ultimates book influenced the aesthetic, they ended up making a billion by following Stan and Jack into soap opera fantasy dressed as sci-fi.

So Fiege, who was less of a comic fan than Nolan, lucked into a gig on X-Men and saw a lot of material to mine in Marvel. Faithful to the source material is bogus. If it was true, where was Death or Adam Warlock in the Infinity movies? He was a teen of the Spielberg/Zemeckis 80's era and Favreau and the Russo's were comic fans of that period. It's a great convergence of people who shared a similar mindset. That's why Whedon didn't work. He's an angry nerd who wants to be revered like Stan Lee. He had no interest in adapting the Avengers. He wanted to be known as the guy who co-equally created it.

The problem for WB/DC is these are characters not created in unity like Marvel. DC heroes each have different fathers and all of it jammed into a universe. Nolan, like Burton, got this and realized you can only expand the Batworld to what makes sense and the JLA really doesn't. Imagine Bernthal's Punisher in Endgame and he's leading the Avengers.

Nolan's problem is the same as Snyder and Burton. They want to be authors of a movie and not commercial directors. When Galt and Tale of Two Cities or Silent German Expressionism is a person's influence for a Batman film, they're lost in their own heads. It's the opposite of the Russo's who are TV directors with no discernible directing imprint, but they're solid for Marvel because they grew up reading comics and are great with actors and ensembles.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

Faithful to the source material is bogus.
                          I strongly disagree. When you are bringing in storylines and Easter Eggs from the comics left and right, leaving out a few things like Warlock do not make you unfaithful. When I can sit in Endgame and the comic panels and covers that inspired the moments in the film flash in my mind...how is that not faithful to the source material?

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• Brue
                            User without title
                            • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                            That's true--it's an opinionated thread receiving opinionated replies, all fairly brief. It's certainly not personal.
                            yep. i never understood the reason behind posting defense of opinions about opinions. I see it often. it always perplexes me.

Comment

• hedrap
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                              I strongly disagree. When you are bringing in storylines and Easter Eggs from the comics left and right, leaving out a few things like Warlock do not make you unfaithful. When I can sit in Endgame and the comic panels and covers that inspired the moments in the film flash in my mind...how is that not faithful to the source material?

Chris

First of all, I've never argued for a 1:1 translation. That's never been my thing. But the ambiguity of "faithful" when MCU - Winter Soldier, Ultron, Civil War, Infinity - takes liberties and gets credit for being "faithful", while Nolan does not when by MCU standards, Batman Begins is as faithful to Year One or the summation of story parts that TDKR was. Leaving out Adam Warlock is not a small change, just like not killing Cap in Civil War wasn't. Movie Thanos and TDKR Bane are both heavily altered from their comic counterparts.

I agree about comic panels, but at the same time, that would make Zach Snyder the greatest comic-movie director, ever.

It is about concept and the heart of what makes a character that character, but then that's also subjective. Outside the Ultimates, when was Thor ever portrayed the way he is on film? When was Stark this big of aOther than a few moments in the first Avengers, they've done nothing with Hulk which is core concept.

What we're actually referring to is the spirit. The more MCU moved away from Ultimates/2K storylines and towards 80's Marvel, the better things got. Conversely, the more WB focused on Alan Moore and Frank Miller, the worse things got because what they made was purposely antithetical to what made the DCU.

The main thing I respect about Endgame is how they retconned everything to have consequence because the Russo's knew the MCU really had no weight of actions for the entire span. I think what Marion was getting at is consequence is where Nolan's Batman worked so well. He and Goyer spent a good deal of time flushing out the idea of escalation, and that did not exist in movie sequels before Begins/TDK. TDKR had the same theme until WB wanted changes made.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎