Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Mego Lines Did You Not Know About As A Kid?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Dare Brothers, I had no clue that they even existed, who did?

Originally posted by EmergencyIan

I also realize that I don’t recall the Pirates, Robin Hood or the Western Figures. They must have come and gone before I could have clear memories of them.
    In my memories, the Pirates, Robin Hood and Knights were really "blink and you'll miss them" lines. I remember first seeing Robin Hood and Knights at the local department store one time, I picked up a Robin Hood, I was planning to buy a Black Knight or King Arthur next time I went to the store, and I never saw them anywhere again. Same with the Pirates, I picked up a Long John Silver when I first saw them at retail, and after that, they completely disappeared so I never had a chance to get a second pirate (wanted a Blackbeard!)

Comment

• EmergencyIan
      Museum Paramedic
      • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by cjefferys
      In my memories, the Pirates, Robin Hood and Knights were really "blink and you'll miss them" lines. I remember first seeing Robin Hood and Knights at the local department store one time, I picked up a Robin Hood, I was planning to buy a Black Knight or King Arthur next time I went to the store, and I never saw them anywhere again. Same with the Pirates, I picked up a Long John Silver when I first saw them at retail, and after that, they completely disappeared so I never had a chance to get a second pirate (wanted a Blackbeard!)
      That explains why I never saw those lines when I was a little kid. They probably came and went before I was old enough to remember them.

- Ian
      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
        Moderation Engineer
        • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by Adam West
        I knew about WGSH, Apes, Star Trek and Monsters. I knew nothing outside of that.
        Add Fonzie and subtract monsters and I think that's me too.

Comment

• phil
          Persistent Member
          • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
          That explains why I never saw those lines when I was a little kid. They probably came and went before I was old enough to remember them.

- Ian
          I remember seeing Robin Hood, Pirates and Knights in at least one department store at Christmas time but they didn't last long. Maybe the store only received one order and didn't reorder more.

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

I definitely knew about Star Trek, and also WGSH and POTA, outside of that, the ahi monsters.

I didn't know about the Waltons, I might have bought those since I always watched it, but to be
            honest, I do not even remember seeing them, unless they were in the girls section? and
            also didn't know about Starsky and Hutch either.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by cjefferys
              Oh yeah, I forgot about the Dare Brothers, I had no clue that they even existed, who did?

I agree, I wanted a pirate later and they were gone. It was much easier to find Furies.

Discovering the Merry Men as an adult is one of my best Mego memories, I adore that line.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

I never knew about the Teen Titans. I learned through the folks at the Mego Museum that it was because they were not distributed in Canada. I also only saw the boxed Fantastic Four once at a K-Mart and then never again, so I started thinking I had imagined them.

Not sure if this counts, but in the mid-90's I walked into a comic/collectibles store in Toronto's Junction neighbourhood and spotted what i presumed to be a "Mego" Tom Baker Doctor Who figure in the display case. When the proprieter of the store told me that it was only available in the UK, I found the idea of "Mego" (yes I know it wasn't technically Mego) from another country quite mind blowing. It had an $100 price tag on it and in the years following, I regretted not picking it up. In more recent years, I learned who consigned it to that shop. Any guesses?
                My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• kresge1
                  Museum_Bozo
                  • Jun 20, 2001

Great thread
                  All I was aware of was the WGSH and AJ
                  Probably because of the commercials . Lion rock soldiers which are my second favorite was something I knew zero about . I was always in TRU and I never seen them .
                  Looking for Remco Phantom. Mego mailer boxed figures

Comment

• kresge1
                    Museum_Bozo
                    • Jun 20, 2001

Great thread
                    All I was aware of was the WGSH and AJ
                    Probably because of the commercials . Lion rock soldiers which are my second favorite was something I knew zero about . I was always in TRU and I never seen them .
                    Looking for Remco Phantom. Mego mailer boxed figures

Comment

• Brown Bear
                      Still Old School
                      • Feb 14, 2008

Not Mego, but never knew that Big Jim toys had Double Trouble and Zorak.

I remember getting a Zorak and having no idea who he was, so I named him Quick Change and dressed him in a weird cloak.
                      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

I really only recall knowing the ones I owned figures out of. 8" WGSH, Dukes, Star Trek, and Happy Days. I may have seen a few others like CHiPs, but I didn't have enough interest in them for it to sear into my brain.

Of the other size lines, the 12" Super Heroes, Pocket Super Heroes (not CAH), Dukes, and Buck Rogers. That's really about it!

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• filmation batman fan
                          The Man of Many Voices
                          • Aug 30, 2005

I had 8 inch Megos of Batman, Robin, Batgirl, Superman, Aquaman, Shazam, Green Arrow, Joker, Penguin, Riddler, Captain America, Spider Man, the Hulk, Fantastic Four (later on)
                          The ones I did not know about were the 8 inch Wonder Woman, Tarzan, Teen Titans, Batman w/ Removable Cowl, Robin w/Removable Mask. Batcave and Hall of Justice Playsets, and Aquaman VS the Great White Shark set. But I did have the Wayne Foundation. I had both Comic Action Heroes and Pocket Heroes, and both Batmobiles, but I did not have The Fortress of Solitude or the Invisible Jet.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎