Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Mego Lines Did You Not Know About As A Kid?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Which Mego Lines Did You Not Know About As A Kid?

When I started collecting Megos, I was surprised how any lines I had as a kid. I was also surprised at how many lines I had never heard of. Over the years, I've heard that echoed by many of the members here.

Which (produced) lines did you find out about as an adult?

For me-
    Dinah Mite
    One Million B.C.
    Wizard of Oz
    Our Gang
    pretty much all of the 12" lines, incl. heroes, Trek, Black Hole
    I knew about CAH and PH, but I never knew about the other 3 & 3/4" lines
    Flash Gordon

I also didn't have a clue about any of the lines produced outside the U.S.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

Great question! I remember seeing most Mego action figure lines in stores at one point, or at least advertised in comics in Heroes World ads. The only lines I don't recall seeing were Dinah Mite, Flash Gordon, the Secret Identity figures and of course the foreign stuff. Those were the only real Mego surprises for me when I was an adult and started reading ads in Toy Shop, the Tomart action figure book, etc.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

My dad subscribed to toy trade publications, so I saw stuff in there I never saw as a kid, that said:

CB McHaul
      Mad Monsters (seriously!)
      Dare Brothers
      One Million BC
      Flash Gordon
      Dinah Mite
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

I don’t recall:

Action Jackson
        One Million B.C.
        Micronauts
        The 12” superheroes

- Ian
        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Off the top of my head:

Action Jackson
          Dare Brothers
          Pirates
          Western
          One Million BC
          Our Gang
          Dr. Who
          Space 1999

You know, it's actually a shorter list to write down the ones I did know about.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

I guess I’d add that I didn’t know of the Dare Brothers, but how many did? Tonight is the first I’ve heard of them. I would have really liked that glider set.

I also realize that I don’t recall the Pirates, Robin Hood or the Western Figures. They must have come and gone before I could have clear memories of them.

Some of the lines that came out around the time I was born, must have just stood the test of time (WGSH, Star Trek and POTA) or were lines that seemed to never leave the store such as Our Gang. The latter I recall being in the aisle, at K-Mart, along with CHiPs and The Dukes of Hazzard.

- Ian
            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Adam West
              Museum CPA
              • Apr 14, 2003

I knew about WGSH, Apes, Star Trek and Monsters. I knew nothing outside of that.
              "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
              ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

My childhood revolved around Christmas catalogues, so I knew of Megos that I never saw in stores. But I don't recall:

Action Jackson
                Dinah-Mite
                OMBC
                Teen Titans--those were a revelation!
                American West, I think...
                Merry Men
                Happy Days--I had Fonzie but didn't realize there were others.
                The Dare Bros. & Zack Power
                Last edited by PNGwynne; Apr 23, '19, 9:38 PM.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 11, 2013

I may have seen more than I remember but did not collect them. Growing up my brother & I were heavy into superheroes (still am). After thinking I had to know of the Oz set because I used them to add to our villains:

Oz Scarecrow as Batman villain Scarecrow
                  POTA Gorilla soldier as Gorilla Grodd
                  Action Jackson Ski Patrol as Captain Cold
                  Action Jackson Western as Shane
                  Famous Monster & Universal Monsters for more villains

There were some of the knock off Mego figure (Tomland) Aliens & Monsters we got and used as you guess it villains.

so the lineup I did not know about was:
                  Micronauts
                  Dinah-Mite
                  One Million BC
                  saw Star Trek but did not collect them

For some reason we had a set of Pirates but cannot remember what line they came from
                  Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                    For some reason we had a set of Pirates but cannot remember what line they came from
                    I had an opportunity as a child to get a pirate, but I chose Ivanhoe instead.

I had some Matchbox Fighting Furies then, and some of my friends did, too.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MRP
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 19, 2016

As a kid, the only 8 inch line s I had were WGSH, Trek and Apes. I knew about Oz as a cousin had them, and I saw CHiPs and Dukes in stores. I didn't know about any of the other 8 inch lines and never saw them. Other Mego stuff I had was Micronauts, Buck Rogers and Black Hole in the 3 3/4 line. I saw the 3 3/4 inch super-heroes in stores, but never had any and saw some of the 12 inch stuff in stores but again never had any. The 10 inch Flash Gordon stuff was unknown to me, and I didn;t learn of the pirates Robin Hood, Knights or 1 million BC until I stumbled across the Mego Museum several years back.

-M
                      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• phil
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 11, 2007

The stores where I grew up all did a good job of carrying MEGO products and along with the Christmas catalogs I think the only line I was unaware of was the Dare Brothers and maybe the Happy Days stuff beyond Fonzie. I did see the Our Gang figures once and wanted to get them but didn't have the money at the time to buy any and figured I'd start collecting them the next time I saw them which I never did.

As a kid MEGO SPACE:1999 figures would have been a dream come true and I was annoyed when I found out years later about the exclusive U.K. line and that I had to settle for the Mattel figures.

Comment

• tllgn
                          Persistent Member
                          • Feb 6, 2010

as a kid i was all over the place .seen most of megos product ,however never saw anything that was sold over seas or other countries ,never saw our gang ,they could have been in the girls
                          section like dinah and wizard of oz , i could have walked pass them though and never knew it ,never saw one million BC ,i would have bought those,never saw flash gordon ,aquaman vs the shark,and
                          i knew they were out there but couldnt find the romulan,mugatu or andorian ,but did find the talos ,also found teen titans that day ,never found don or black action jackson /dinah either .i have seen
                          all the playsets at the time and cars ,but didnt have money for those except planet of the apes tree house/village and star trek bridge ,saw all the role playing toys and "12" figures ,never would have paid attention to
                          dare brothers and games like ballbuster .the local mall had megos at woolworths ,jc penny,meier and franks ,a toy store called toyland ,jj newberry and pay n pac .and nearby was a sears fred meyers and
                          further away wards,k mart,bazzar and payless .and later years k b toys and toys r us (1980) .good question

Comment

• tllgn
                            Persistent Member
                            • Feb 6, 2010

and today only so far Targets,and think geek ,however saw emce megos ten years ago a couple at toys r us ,various comic shops and suncoast ,FTC only at a couple comic shops ,BBP a couple at toys r us and comic shop..

Comment

• TRDouble
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by tllgn
                              and today only so far Targets,and think geek ,however saw emce megos ten years ago a couple at toys r us ,various comic shops and suncoast ,FTC only at a couple comic shops ,BBP a couple at toys r us and comic shop..
                              And Media Play!!! where I passed the Star Trek figures, only to pick hem all up later via eBay and vendors that still had them... DOH!

The only Megos I knew of as a kid were WGSH and CAH. Maybe I knew and had some PSH, but I know I had the squatty little figures! And I knew of the USA released 12" figures because I had Spider-Man and the movie Superman.

I didn't know about the others because I didn't care about anything but Super Heroes and I grew up mostly around girls, and they had Barbies. But I had all of the catalogs, from Sears, to Brand Names, to every Sunday circular, to Heroes World, so I am sure I saw them all. I just didn't care

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎